Skip to main content
Topic: reading lights for rear lounge (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
reading lights for rear lounge
Yahoo Message Number: 19582
We spent the last four days at Jalama Beach. We saw a few whales spout each day but none in close enough to see clearly like last March.
We like to lounge lengthwise on the couches to read at night but the lights in our 1993 26 1/2 RB LD are centered over each couch. The lights are then in our eyes rather than on the book page. I have considered mounting track lights parallel to each couch in place of the stock flouresents. Has anyone tried this? Has anyone mounted small spotlight reading lights? How can I access 12v power and still have the installation look nice? I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks, Bob Crane

Re: reading lights for rear lounge
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 19583
Try looking at in the photo section under Clarence's 2001 MB, reading light.  He has done a remarkable job on his LD, the best I've seen.

Jonna

Has anyone mounted

small spotlight reading lights? How can I access 12v power and still

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 19587
Bob
 I need a Jalama weekend; it has been a few months since the last one.

My wife needs a better reading light in our 23.5' FL, which has the same lounge as yours does.
Our old LD had a combination light over the couch and barrel chair.
In the center was a light with a frosted plastic cover. On each side was an aircraft style light that could be aimed. I replaced the stock bulbs with 20-watt MR-11 halogen bulbs. They gave all the light one could hope for and where aimable. I have tried to find single aircraft lights made of metal for our new LD. The available plastic lights would probably melt with the heat of the halogens. If and when I find the lights I'm looking for, I will let you know.
The light that Clarence's 2001 has would work if they are high enough for you. It would be an over the shoulder type of light. Alternately, they could be mounted from the bottom of the overhead cabinet.

Track lights are an interesting idea and I might give it a try.
You could use a 12v-halogen type. They come in two versions. One is made to operate on 120 volts and has a transformer built into each light. These can be bought cheaply at Home Depot in a kit that includes the track and 4 lights for about $50. You could use either a 10 watt or 20 watt MR-16 BAB (flood) bulb. It would require the removal or bypassing of the transformer.
There are other track lights that run on 12 volts that use a remote transformer. You usually need to buy them through a lighting supply store and they are much more expensive. They are a little smaller since they do not have a transformer at the light.

Power is available through the fluorescent light in the overhead cabinet. The best way to get to the wiring is to remove the paneling inside the overhead cabinet. The bottom two pieces are held in by several small staples. The paneling can be gently pried up to access the wiring. I would remove the staples and use small roundhead sheet metal or wood screws to re-attach the paneling. This would make future work easy.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 19591
bulbs with 20-watt MR-11 halogen bulbs. They gave all the light one could hope for and where aimable. I have tried to find single aircraft lights made of metal for our new LD. The available plastic lights would probably melt with the heat of the halogens. If and when I find the lights I'm looking for, I will let you know.
The bayonet mini-spots caried at CW and others put out by far the best pattern and light quality of any 12V reading bulb I have used - much better than the halogen accent lighting with either 10W or 20W bulbs. The reflector is well designed, and they draw a bit less current than the 20W halogens. Another big advantage with the spots is that the heat is also entirely radiated off the reflector - they will not heat up a plastic fixture.
 I also have the halogens installed, but rarely use them, even though their location is better. I have also found the 20W bulbs eventually cause the fixture to emit a noxious odor, so I tend to use the 10W.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 19596
"The bayonet mini-spots caried at CW and others put out by far the best pattern and light quality of any 12V reading bulb I have used - much better than the halogen accent lighting with either 10W or 20W bulbs. The reflector is well designed, and they draw a bit less current than the 20W halogens"

Steve

MR-11 and MR-16 bulbs are the type that have a multi faceted reflector and the bulb is factory installed and aimed for proper focus. They do radiate heat from the rear. I think the accent lights that you are referring to have a replaceable bulb. Are these are the under counter types that you see at Home Depot or similar? They do not produce nearly as much light as the MR series when compared watt for watt since the reflectors are not nearly as efficient or focused.
See the following for an example: http://www.all-lights.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/product- id/38705.html
 I found the MR-11 bulbs at a swap meet a few years ago with a single pin, automotive type base, so the conversion was easy. I was worried about the heat build up but in never caused a burning smell or any other problem but the fixture did get hot with the 20-watt bulb. A 10- watt bulb would be cooler and easier on the battery.
I used to do a lot of nighttime mountain biking and I built several lights using the MR series bulbs and Ni-cad batteries. In the 20 and 35-watt spot patterns, we were able to ride downhill at speed without outrunning the beam.  I also made several flashlights for our kayaks.
I have one that uses a 50-Watt spot bulb and is great for nighttime paddling. Aimed at an approaching boat, it will cause them to veer off, thinking that a good size boat is coming at them. It always surprises them when they see how small our boats are. These are not ` your father's flashlights'. They do require a good size battery pack.
A 5-10 amp hour Ni-cad  or NiMH pack is needed. Gel cells are not adequate except in very large sizes. They suffer badly from the Peukert effect.

Larry
Larry

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 19608
Bob, You might want to consider the bullet lights from Campers Choice for your reading lights. There is a posted picture of one installed in a LD in the LD Enhancements group in the Key West photo folders. There used to be a couple showing it from different angles but now there only appears to be one of it. The sides are wood or wood look from the photos.
 http://www.camperschoice.com/cgi-bin/more_info.pl? order_id=&cust_id=&group_id=2395

By the way Camper's Choice just redid their website so you can now link directly to an item, if Yahoo doesn't truncate it!

Mike

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 19609
Larry, JC Whitney has both ABS plastic and aluminum metal type aircraft style lights if you are interested in adding them to your new LD.
I've been planning to change the stock LD cab lights with them or some other type of lights that can be aimed and turned on or off individually.

Metal: http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=165787&BQ=jcw2 
ABS: http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=5308&BQ=jcw2

I'm not sure what type I want to go with yet for the LD but I want something other than those clearance type lights with the clear lenses LD used in the 2001 model. I did have the aluminum type in my '73 Ford Econoline and liked them.

Mike

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 19620
Mike

The metal aircraft light from JC Whitney is the type I have been looking for. They are the same as the ones in my 77 Chevy camper van. . Being 4" in diameter, they may not fit in the cab area as a replacement for the somewhat cheesy clearance lights. My wife wants a small reading light on the passenger side. In our '83 LD, I installed a 5-watt halogen swivel light made by Hella, now Allied Signal. See : http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay? storeId=10001&langId=- 1&catalogId=10001&productId=18058&catalogId=10001&classNum=252&subdept Num=82&storeNum=9

I removed it before we sold the '83 and it now resides in the new overhead bunk. It may be a good choice for the cab.

I have stayed away from JC Whitney for years because of a bad experience I had with them. Many years ago I ordered some parts for one of my motorcycles. They went into bankruptcy and I never receive the ordered parts. I tried to cancel the check but they had already cash it. After about eight months I did receive the money back, after writing several letters.  I think that was the last time I mail ordered anything using a check. From that time forward, I have used a credit card.
The affair left a bad taste in my mouth but it is time to get over it. Thanks for the info.

Larry
Larry

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 20063
Bob, I don't know if you bought any reading lights yet but if not you may want to look at those avaiable from the Coast Distribution System catalog that many independent RV parts & accessory stores use with their name printed on them. I forgot all about this when I first posted about those at JC Whitney and Camper's Choice. I had just been looking at things in both those catalogs so they stuck in my mind but the other day I was looking for something in my Coast catalog from my local RV store/repair center and they have a large selection of interior lights and lots of styles of aimable reading lights.
 I'll give you the web site for my local RV store catalog online. The Coast online catalog only has the most popular items in it and is only a small portion of what they have available. There are a lot of other styles not shown in the online catalog including some nice looking brass, white, or black metal bullet style lights and several others. You could try calling Coast at 1-800-876-2627 to see if they can give you the name of a local affiliated RV store and then get a copy of their catalog. The 2003 one just came out and it's a great resource for just about any RV part you might need. The prices are reasonable but yo can find better on some items elsewhere. Prices are better than those from most marine stores though. They do have the aircraft-style lights also but they are more expensive than at JC Whitney.

Interior lights page http://www.go-rv.com/online/1067/showcategories/Lights

Parts homepage http://www.go-rv.com/online/1067/showcategories

There are several other RV parts dealers with the exact same catalog on the go-rv site also so your local dealer may also have an online site there.

Mike

PS: I did post this last night (slightly different wording) but it has never shown up so it is either in the Yahoo black hole or it may be in their hold to post area and show up at any time. It was around the time the announcement of the Iraq war starting so who knows.

Reading lights
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 19645
Thanks to all who reponded to my query. The information JCWhitney bullet lights and the Hella halognes was most helpfull. Larry, thanks for the information on access to the wiring. We are trying to get every thing ready to go to Longmont, CO next month to see new twin grandsons (product of third attempt at in vitro fertilization and implantation). Victor, ask your weatherman to order good RV weather for us.
Bob & Mary '93 26 1/2 MB

Reading lights
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 81338
It's time to add some interior reading lights over the couch and the dinette. Those fluros are not pretty.
 Any recommendations on what brand of light works for you and any tips on installation?

Thanks! Micki Lou 30ft IB Bruin Blue Orange County, CA

Re: Reading lights
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 81348
It's time to add some interior reading lights over the couch and the dinette. Those fluros are not pretty.
 Any recommendations on what brand of light works for you and any tips on installation?

Thanks! Micki Lou 30ft IB Bruin Blue Orange County, CA
When I was having some work done at the factory on my rig I liked the '07 model reading lights the factory is now installing. Mentioned it to Vince and he installed some in my rig. I love them. Haven't used the fluorecents since.

John '04 23.5FL

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 81351
"It's time to add some interior reading lights over the couch and the dinette."

Micki
 We got ours at Lowes.  They're 10w halogens and we like the fact that they have a directional lens diffuser that allows them to be pointed forward for reading or towards the wall for mood lighting.  They were about $21. for three.  This was one of the first improvements we made to Cholula and we use them every single day.
 The company is Portfolio, item #64366, Low Voltage Halogen 3 light kit.
 I'm looking for my photos, but can't find them right now, I'll post new ones so you can see what they look like.

Kate

http://cholulared.blogspot.com &

http://www.cholulared.com

Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 81358
"It's time to add some interior reading lights over the couch and the dinette...Any recommendations on what brand of light works for you and any tips on installation?"
 My friends and I have installed a number of different reading lights.
Go to a large hardware store (we've found Lowe's has the best selection) and look for 12V halogen lights. They're getting harder to find as 120V lights take over the market, but they are still available--and you can buy them online, of course. If the lights are labeled "low voltage" and packaged with a 120V transformer, chances are they are 12V lights.
 Look for lights in the 10W-20W range. You can swap a 10W bulb into a 20W lamp if you find the original bulb too bright. Don't forget to buy extra bulbs! Although halogen bulbs last a long time, they're not exactly available in every supermarket, so it pays to have spares on hand.

The most common ones are 4" diameter puck-shaped lights sold for undercounter use, but you can sometimes find 12V lawn & garden lights that are also suitable. The latter usually have tilting heads so that they can be aimed--an obvious advantage in a reading light.

By the way, it's quite easy to replace the stove hood's pitifully feeble lamp with one of these halogen "puck lights." Kate's web page shows the result. It's a tremendous improvement!

http://www.cholulared.com/AboutCholulaRed/Kitchen.html>

Installing reading lights isn't terribly hard. In addition to the lights themselves, you'll need some wire (18-gauge lamp cord, the kind used in inexpensive extension cords, will do fine), a few wire nuts, a stripper/crimper, a couple of toggle switches and a drill.

If you buy automotive-type switches with lug terminals, you can use crimp-on spade lugs and avoid the need for soldering. These items are available in any auto parts store and most Wal-Mart auto departments.
Try to choose a switch with a minimal body depth, because you don't have much space to work with.
 If you must solder, I recommend Radio Shack's butane-powered soldering iron--it's ideal for RVers. But get yourself a spare tip, because they tend to corrode away after a few months of use. be sure to use lead-free rosin-core solder, not the acid-core stuff.
 Remove the contents of the cupboard and pry up the "floorboards"--two pieces of white 1/8" composition board. They're stapled down, so they're not too hard to remove if you carefully pry around the edges.
The staples are almost impossible to replace when you put everything back together, so I recommend pulling them all out. The weight of the stuff in the cabinet makes sure that those pieces aren't going anywhere!

Now the wiring for the fluorescent lamp is exposed. I assume that you'll do as my friends and I have done: mount one halogen lamp on each side of the fluorescent fixture, six or eight inches away from it. Mount your lamps and lead the wires up into the space you've exposed. Mount a switch in the underside of the cabinet, about two inches behind each lamp (that is, closer to the window). This way the switches are easy to reach but are out of sight, so you don't have visual clutter.
 You'll take power from the same two wire-nutted bundles of wires that feed the fluorescent fixture. Polarity isn't important with incandescent lamps like these; just run a wire from one bundle to the lamp, then run a wire from the other bundle to the switch and from the switch to the lamp. Repeat for the other lamp.
 Replace the "floorboards," restock your cabinet and you're through. Enjoy!

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Reading lights - Halogen or LEDs?
Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 81480
My friends and I have installed a number of different reading
lights.

Go to a large hardware store (we've found Lowe's has the best selection) and look for 12V halogen lights. They're getting harder to find as 120V lights take over the market, but they are still available--and you can buy them online, of course. If the lights are labeled "low voltage" and packaged with a 120V transformer, chances are they are 12V lights.

Andy Baird
Andy,

Thank you for your message about installing Halogen reading lights which I think would be a big improvement over the flourescents for reading.
 A disadvantage of the Halogens is that they waste energy as heat and can get hot (in certain sizes.)
 Some time ago there was some discussion about using LEDs for reading lights (maybe mostly white with another color red? yellow? for a warmer color)  Is that practical?  Do any of you have experience with LED reading lights? Any thoughts about that?

Is there some reason that Halogen is preferred over LEDs?

Ken in San Diego

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 81499
"A disadvantage of the Halogens is that they waste energy as heat and can get hot (in certain sizes.)"

Halogens do waste energy as heat, but considerably less than the standard incandescent fixtures used in most RVs and all LDs until 2007. Paradoxically, by operating at a hotter filament temperature, they are able to produce more lumens and less heat per watt of electricity.

Although halogen bulbs run hotter than standard incandescent bulbs, properly designed halogen fixtures should be no hotter. (In fact, this reminds me of the standard-incandescent dome light in my 1985 LD's cab: when I removed it, I found the plastic was partially melted and the carpeting above it was scorched black!)
 "Some time ago there was some discussion about using LEDs for reading lights (maybe mostly white with another color red? yellow? for a warmer color) Is that practical?  Do any of you have experience with LED reading lights? Any thoughts about that?"

I've tried a variety of LED light sources over the past few years.
(Hope springs eternal, and all that.) So far, none has proved suitable as a reading light. The main reasons are 1) too weak and 2) unpleasant color.
 I've tried combining arrays of up to 96 LEDs, and mixing colors (white and yellow, white and red), but all I've come up with are lights that are sickly greenish-yellow instead of stark blue-white...and are still much weaker than a 20W halogen bulb.

And by the way, when you put together enough LEDs to approach the light output of a halogen bulb, you get pretty hefty power consumption and a fair amount of heat (probably from the required current-limiting resistors, without which the LEDs would burn themselves up in seconds). You still save some energy, but not as much as LEDs' reputation would lead you to believe.
 Now, my 57-year-old eyes need more light than 25-year-old eyes, and as a visual artist I'm especially sensitive to the color of light fixtures. As some of you know, the first thing I did when I acquired both my rigs was to replace all the cool white fluorescent tubes with warm white tubes, because I find the cold greenish glare of standard fluorescents profoundly depressing. (The second thing I did was to start putting in halogens, which are even better than warm white fluorescents.)
 But judging by what I see in other rigs (and homes), most people don't feel as strongly about lighting color as I do. That's OK...but it's a little odd when I think about it, because people who will agonize over the choice of upholstery fabrics and wall paints seem to think nothing of letting those carefully chosen colors--especially in kitchens and bathrooms--be illuminated by greenish-tinged fluorescents that give a room all the appeal of a dentist's office. (Not meaning any offense to dentists in the audience. ;-)
 But I digress. My point was that if you need less light than I do, and if you're not as fussy about its color as I am, LEDs may be worth considering, if you're willing to spend the money. Certainly there are many more LED fixtures out there than I've had a chance to try, and they are getting better all the time. Luxeon now makes "warm white" LEDs, and while they don't have the appealing golden glow of a halogen light, they are better than the stark blue-white of most LEDs today.

Only trouble is, they cost an arm and a leg. And that's the other problem with LEDs: high cost. You can get a good 10W or 20W halogen fixture for less than ten bucks if you shop around. Assuming you could find an LED fixture with the same brightness (something I haven't been able to come up with so far), it's likely to cost you five to seven times as much.
 Now, I really believe that in the long run, LEDs will replace pretty much all incandescent lights--regular and halogen--and eventually, most fluorescents as well. It may take ten years, it may take twenty, but it's going to happen. Prices will come down, brightnesses will increase, color will be adjusted to something warmer and more livable.
But for me at least, the time for LEDs is not yet.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 81508
If you install Halogen lights, I suggest using either rubber/plastic gloves or hold the bulb inside of a baggie when installing.  Apparently getting even a small amount of body oil from your fingers on the bulb shortens the life of the bulb considerably.

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 81511
--- planld2003  wrote: "Do any of you have experience with LED reading lights? Any thoughts about that? Is there some reason that Halogen is preferred over LEDs?"

Ken,
 As others have already pointed out, lighting color and intensity are a matter of personal preference. Many find fluorescents annoying and LEDs are usually too dim except for task lighting. Although I agree that Halogens provide a much more pleasing color, I find LEDs acceptable for reading.
 As Andy has pointed out, LED fixtures are much more expensive than the halogen alternatives. I've tried a couple of inexpensive products that work for me. As usual, YMMV.
 I installed this battery operated fixture over the LD dining table. It provides ample light (for my eyes) for reading (and eating) at the table. The light is typical LED bright white with bluish tint.
http://tinyurl.com/2rgual
 Others in the group suggested this product some time ago. They're the LED puck lights you can get from Target or Costco for ~$25 for 6 pucks. I use them in the cabinets, wardrobe, overhead cab bed, stairwell and bathroom. They don't replace LDs lighting fixtures, but they're helpful for extending boondocking time in areas where I don't need full light. They work fine for reading in bed.
http://tinyurl.com/2ygtl5

I tried both of the above products with the intention of returning them if I didn't like them. Both Costco & Target have pretty easy return policies.

If you have sufficient battery capacity or don't boondock, the halogens are a better solution.

Andrew
Andrew
2008 Rear Bath
(previously 1999 TK)

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 81514
When I read this article, "LEDs Move Into Home Lighting Market",

http://www.physorg.com/news101952468.html>

I thought of both Kate and Andy, who I know are big fans of good lighting.   The guy in the article is REALLY into LEDs!
 I, too, live in hope that LEDs will soon provide decent replacements for the current reading light options.  I've been disappointed so many time by hype regarding LEDs, I'm not holding my breath waiting for really good ones to hit the market.

Sharon N.

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 81517
"A disadvantage of the Halogens is that they waste energy as heat and can get hot (in certain sizes.)"
I've installed halogens, various color flourescent bulbs, and have an LED lamp for extended late-night reading. Still, I also have my four LD bullet lamps in which I have installed 1383 incandescent reflector bulbs. For comfortable reading, the even, pleasant bright beam is unequalled, and is my first choice. They are also very cool in the fixture, since the reflector coating guides all light AND heat out the front.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: [LD] Re: Reading lights - Halogen or LEDs?
Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 81523
Hi Ken,

These LED dash lights were recently purchased at Riteaid for $10 and though they have a blue tone they are probably adequate to read by.
Two sets would be for sure.
http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/lifewithalazydazerv/photos/view/4019?b=6 Michelle
 Some time ago there was some discussion about using LEDs for reading lights (maybe mostly white with another color red? yellow? for a warmer color) Is that practical? Do any of you have experience with LED reading lights? Any thoughts about that?

Ken in San Diego

*´¨)

Re: [LD] Re: Reading lights - Halogen or LEDs?
Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 81525
Hi Andy,

I've often wondered if people see things the same. For instance your description of the fluorescents as greenish-tinged.

I've never observed that.
We do both see the bluish tinged LED's as stark blue-white though.

Michelle

Andy Baird  wrote: it's a little odd when I think about it, because people who will agonize over the choice of upholstery fabrics and wall paints seem to think nothing of letting those carefully chosen colors--especially in kitchens and bathrooms--be illuminated by greenish-tinged fluorescents that give a room all the appeal of a dentist's office. (Not meaning any offense to dentists in the audience. ;-) Andy Baird

*´¨)

[LD] Re: Reading lights - Halogen or LEDs? Thank you
Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 81526
Andy, Deborah, Sharon, Steve, Michelle, Andrew and any others,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, experience, and links about LEDs, halogen, and reflector incandescent bulbs for reading lights.  Very much enjoyed learning about what you have done and tried.

Best wishes,

Ken in San Diego

[LD] Re: Reading lights - Halogen or LEDs?
Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 81529
Well the standard everything is compared to is natural sunlight.  The sun produces a spectrum of light which follows essentially a "black body radiation" curve, peaking in the green wavelengths.  Our eyes have evolved to be used in this environment.  Incandescent and halogen lamps produce light which has a spectrum similar to the Sun's.
Fluorescents and LEDs tend to produce light which has strong peaks at various wavelengths.  Overall, the light may seem similar, but the eye is very sensitive to the differences from sunlight.

Here is a quote from Wikipedia: "More apparent to the end user, however, is the low Color Rendering Index (CRI) of current LEDs. The CRI is widely used to measure how accurately a lighting source renders the color of objects. Sunlight and incandescent lamps have CRI of 100, while fluorescent lamps have CRI ~80. The current generation of LEDs, which employs mostly blue LED chip + yellow phosphor, has a CRI around 70, which is much too low for widespread use in lighting particularly indoors. In order for SSL to effectively replace incandescent lamps, more research must be done on developing alternatives to the techniques currently used that address these concerns.
 Variations of CCT (color correlated temperature) at different viewing angles present another formidable obstacle against widespread use of white LED. It has been shown, that CCT variations can exceed 500 K, which is clearly noticeable by human observer, who is normally capable of distinguishing CCT differences of 50 to 100 K in range from 2000 K to 6000 K, which is the range of CCT variations of daylight."

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog