Skip to main content
Topic: Solar Panels (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Solar Panels
Yahoo Message Number: 146337
I noticed in Quartzsite that almost all had solar panels that tilted.  Yet Todd at the factory says LD attaches them not to be tilted.  What modifications to the mounts of the existing panels are made?  Or are the factory installed removed and remounted?  Or what other options are up there on the 27's?  Anyone mounted 3 panels?

Thanks,

Steve Holmstrom 1997 Teal 30IB, in line for 2015 Silver 27MB

Re: Solar Panels
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 146340
I have 500W, 4 panels on my MB. 3 across the front ( moved the factory installed panel) then one at the rear on the drivers side. With the price of panels now it makes no sense to bother with tilting. Make sure that when you install your panels that you don't install them level, make them slope a little so they will wash themselves off when it rains. This is my own opinion and as we know everyone has one....or more.
20 + MH's since 1977 incl...
Past
FMC, 2x GMC's, Foretravel, 2x LD
Present
1996 LD RB under restoration, my project to keep me off the streets.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 146350
"With the price of panels now it makes no sense to bother with tilting."

I think for most people, that's probably true. However...

1. The real estate on an RV's roof limits the number of panels you can install. (For example, I had to discard the broadcast TV and satellite TV antennas in order to fit five 100W panels on my midbath back in 2006.) Tilting can get you more power with the same number of panels. If you need lots of power and don't have lots of roof space, that can make it worthwhile.

2. If you dry-camp in wintertime, when the sun is low in the sky, tilting your panels will substantially increase their output.

Now, most RV owners aren't full-timers. Most aren't power hogs like me. ;-) And most don't dry-camp in the winter. (Even I don't do it much these days.) So for most people, tilting panels is more trouble than it's worth. And every time you climb up on the roof, you run a risk of falling.

But just the same, I like having the option to tilt, and I wish that Lazy Daze used the standard AM Solar tiltable mounts, instead of mounting the panels flat to the roof with custom hardware.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 146364
Thanks Andy Has anyone asked the factory to omit the solar panel and controller & if so what was their response?
 I had AM Solar install my last set of panels (4 of them on a 30IB) & they more or less started all over again.

Steve
2004 MB Lazy Daze, Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 Door
Previous LD: 92 22RB, 98 30IB, 15 27RB
Previous TT: 2020 Lance 2185

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 146366
When we bought our Lazy Daze, the solar panel was an option.  Is it now standard?  If it's still an option, just don't order it.

Linda Hylton

Sent: ‎Sunday‎, ‎May‎ ‎18‎, ‎2014 ‎6‎:‎52‎ ‎AM
To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com

Has anyone asked the factory to omit the solar panel and controller & if so what was their response?
Linda Hylton

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 151014
"What is the max output from one of the newer solar panels?"

Dick

LD currently installs one or two 100-watt panels, not that you will ever see 100 or 200-watts but it should be close in  mid-June, when the sun is directly overhead..
Panel technology is getting better, the next generation will probably have multilayered collectors, to utilize more of the available spectrum. Researchers are getting close to 50% efficiency.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 151018
Thanks Larry. We just had a solar system put on our house, and I was curious as to the difference in output between a house panel and one for an RV. We have 16 panels with a maximum output of 4 KW. So 250 watts per panel. They are very efficient. We live in north/central Arizona, and this week the system has been peaking at just under 3 KW during mid-day. Should really crank it out in June and July.
 Our solar company uses a modem that sends a continuous stream of data to their servers. I can monitor the current output, day, month and year right on my computer.  Or anywhere I can get an internet connection.

Thanks again.

Dick

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 151020
"I was curious as to the difference in output between a house panel and one for an RV.  We have 16 panels with a maximum output of 4 KW.  So 250 watts per panel.  They are very efficient.  We live in north/central Arizona, and this week the system has been peaking at just under 3 KW during mid-day.

Dick

That's  a nice size array. If you measure the 250-watt panels, they will be 2.5 times bigger than your LD's 100-watt panels, the efficiency of the panels should be about the same. Home panels are usually tilted which provides greater output in the winter.
A 4KW system should be enough to power your home A/C, a real money saver.

Some of the newer RV solar controllers have the ability to be remotely monitored and recorded.

Larry

From: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com [mailto:lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com] Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:32 PM To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com Subject: [LD] Re: Solar Panels

"What is the max output from one of the newer solar panels?"

Dick
 LD currently installs one or two 100-watt panels, not that you will ever see 100 or 200-watts but it should be close in  mid-June, when the sun is directly overhead..
Panel technology is getting better, the next generation will probably have multilayered collectors, to utilize more of the available spectrum. Researchers are getting close to 50% efficiency.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Solar Panels
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 151058
We live near Austin, Tx. We need solar panels installed.  Any one have suggestions  for vendors within fifty miles of Austin, tx?

Thank you!  happy Valentine day!!