Skip to main content
Topic: Cellphone/Internet Question (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Cellphone/Internet Question
Yahoo Message Number: 19496
Hurray! I retired last Friday and am ready to hit the road.  Have a Dell Inspiron laptop ordered.  Also have  Motorola V60i TDMA cellphone and plan on using Ositech King of Clubs card.  I have AT&T wireless service with Earthlink as ISP.  Is there anyone using a similar set-up, specifically using AT&T?  What are your experiences?  I know Verizon is the prefered provider, but I am stuck with AT&T for a year and I have been satisfied with their regular wireless service.  I understand AT&T is mostly analog service.  I checked the previous posts, but most have to do with Verizon.

First long trip should be to Mill Valley, CA in April to assist my mother's move into a retirement home and then some NCal touring.
"Daisy" still only has 2600 miles on her.

Chris Horst
2002 30'IB,
Denver, CO
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Re: Cellphone/Internet Question
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 19500
Chris, I have a very similar setup in progress.  Dell Inspiron, AT&T service with an old analog only phone (which will be changed shortly) and am contemplating the Ositech KofC.  In looking at the Ositech site ( http://www.ositech.com/Products/koh.htm )it appears they only support the CDMA version of your phone.   You may have later info as they say they update the site monthly or so.
I was told by AT&T that the only phone that AT&T offers for analog capability is the Nokia 6360, but that may mean it has an analog modem in the phone or it's the only one that works in analog mode.
Can anyone advise if any TDMA phone can be used with the Ositech KofH or KofC on the AT&T system? I have been told that AT&T is the only recommended carrier for data capability in the rural West (meaning the Rockies and west).
Digital is fine for cities and interstates, but it's not built out in the rural areas of the West.  My own experience is that I have analog voice capability in many more areas than either mode from Verizon and PCS is in VERY limited areas.
Congratulations on retirement.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I am.
Steve T

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 19503
Chris, I have a very similar setup in progress.  Dell Inspiron, AT&T service with an old analog only phone (which will be changed shortly) and am contemplating the Ositech KofC.  In looking at the Ositech site ( http://www.ositech.com/Products/koh.htm )it appears they only support the CDMA version of your phone.  You may have later info as they say they update the site monthly or so.
I was told by AT&T that the only phone that AT&T offers for analog capability is the Nokia 6360, but that may mean it has an analog modem in the phone or it's the only one that works in analog mode.
Can anyone advise if any TDMA phone can be used with the Ositech KofH or KofC on the AT&T system? I have been told that AT&T is the only recommended carrier for data capability in the rural West (meaning the Rockies and west).
Digital is fine for cities and interstates, but it's not built out in the rural areas of the West.  My own experience is that I have analog voice capability in many more areas than either mode from Verizon and PCS is in VERY limited areas.
Congratulations on retirement.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I am.
Steve T
Steve, thanks for the reply.  I have a inquiry into Ositech regarding the support of the Motorola TDMA cellphone.  I agree that the analog service with AT&T has been very good and extensive here in the West.
This is one reason I stayed with it; however, when I got the TDMA Motorola phone, I didn't realize Ositech didn't support it.  Anyway, we will soon see if I can make this setup work.

Chris

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 19513
Thanks Barry, I just checked that site but, unfortunately they are all "digital only" as is the software they sell.  It was worth a look though.
I'll let you know what I end up with.
Steve T

Cellphone/Internet Question
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 19498
Hello Chris
 We have a 30 ft. IB on order and expect to have it in April.  We live in Monument, CO not too far from you.  How do you like yours?  Let  us know what options you ordered.  Our email address is

Thanks

Jane and Bpb

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Cellphone/Internet Question
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 19499
Hello Chris

We have a 30 ft. IB on order and expect to have it in April.  We
live in

Monument, CO not too far from you.  How do you like yours?  Let  us
know what

options you ordered.  Our email address is

bnjlowes@a...

Thanks

Jane and Bpb
I'd be pleased to email you except Yahoo cuts off your email address.
Provide it to me this way:  bnjlowes at aol dot com (guessing that's what it is)

Chris

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Cellphone/Internet Question
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 19507
Chris,

Congrats on the retirement!  Looking forward to some good travel stories.

-Victor 91 26.5 MB Longmont, CO