Skip to main content
Topic: A new coffee maker (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
A new coffee maker
Yahoo Message Number: 19312
Many Rvers equip their MHs with electric drip-brew coffeepots, like the one they have at home. This requires them to have hookups or to run their generators for making morning coffee. Now there is an alternative. Coleman has introduced a stove-top drip-brew coffee maker. It looks just like the one you have at home on your counter top except that it sits on top of a stove burner. Instead of using electricity, it uses a burner to provide the needed heat. Very interesting and only $40.
Check it out at: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/newsrelease.asp? releasenum=201

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: A new coffee maker
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 19316
Larry,

Your link to newsrelease 201 did not produce any results(even after cutting and pasting the second line).  A search of the Coleman web site for coffee produced lots of perculators and cups, but no coffee maker as you described.

Do you have another link?

Barry

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 19318
Larry, I was wondering when someone would come out with a stovetop version of the drip coffee maker. This looks like a great item for those that don't currently have a coffee making system that doesn't require electricity or don't like to have an "interactive" coffee making system like Steve. I wonder if he'll give up his percolator for this now to get better tasting coffee or will stick to the percolator.

The only bad part is that it uses a glass caraffe and to keep the coffee hot and tasting good you still need to pour it into a thermos or thermal caraffe
 For anyone looking for that page since Coleman uses "frames" on their website so you'll be taken to the Newsroom page even when copying the entire link and will have to click on the blue Coleman heading just under the News Releases and then the coffee maker full text button on that page.

Mike

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 19319
alternative. Coleman has introduced a stove-top drip-brew coffee maker. It looks just like the one you have at home on your counter top except that it sits on top of a stove burner. Instead of using electricity, it uses a burner to provide the needed heat. Very interesting and only $40.
Thanks for the link, Larry! Now I can discard all those beat-up old coffemakers I've tried to modify for this purpose. The Coleman does look a bit bulky at the base - probably a 'safety zone' to keep it from going up in flames. If it fits our cupboard, though, it will likely be a new addition.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 19332
Larry,

Thanks, I got the story with picture by following the 'frame' directions given by Mike.  I'm waiting for Steve to report on how it works after he buys one.

Barry

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 19489
Coleman has introduced a stove-top drip-brew coffee maker.
- snip -

Thanks Larry, I pointed this new coffee maker out to my wife, she called me from WalMart, they carried it for 37 bucks + state plunder.
 We have one now, but have not tried it yet.  Its larger than a 10/12 cup electric, and wish they had this same design in a 4 cup size.

Will report back its function when we get some use out of it.

Gary

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 19492
We have one now, but have not tried it yet.  Its larger than a 10/12

cup electric, and wish they had this same design in a 4 cup size.
Four cups = two mugs. I cannot understand how some individuals can function all day starting with only one serving of morning stimulant.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 19495
Four cups = two mugs. I cannot understand how some individuals can function all day starting with only one serving of morning
stimulant.

Steve
Hey Steve, there is coffee and there is COFFEE.  Wife unit drinks that tea stuff, so it's just me.  So a couple of cups gets my heart pumping and my hands a shaking.  Later if I need the afternoon jolt, I just make some more.

I like it hot and fresh.

Gary

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 19946
Will report back its function when we get some use out of it.
Coleman Drip Coffee maker report:

We just got home from a weekend trip.  This gave us a chance to try out the new Coleman drip coffee maker.

It makes excellent coffee, just like the electric at home...

But it's just too large (both tall and a large base).  It dominates the stove top and is difficult to find a place to store it when not in use.  It was slow to brew a pot of coffee, even using the front burner on high. It seemed to me, to brew about 1/3 the speed of an electric coffee maker.  If there were no alternative ways to make coffee when away from hookups, I would keep this coffee maker.  I will go back to the tried and true Melita style method for now.

Thanks to whoever it was that pointed this out to us.

Gary

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 19950
Gary

We purchased a Coleman coffee maker two weeks ago and used it this weekend for four mornings. I agree that it is a little large but, for us, it's a keeper. I used it just like my home machine. We set it up the night before and just turn the flame on when getting up. We both need that morning cup to start functioning correctly and not having to deal with boiling water is a plus. Balancing a Melita filter on top of the Nissan thermos takes full concentration when I have a minimal amount of it.
It takes about 10-12 minutes to make a full 10 cups, which is about twice the time that the Krups machine at home does. The results are the same, a favorable cup. Not using battery power is a real plus.
Too many people like their electric coffee makers that require running a generator at an early hour.
The storage situation is not a problem for us. Our 2003 LD has much more kitchen storage area compared to our '83 LD. We have reduced the amount of cooking equipment down through the years, taking only the really useful items.
The Coleman does use a bit a space on the stovetop but I'm not cooking anything else at that point and when it is done, away the maker goes into its storage spot. I either keep the glass carafe on the stovetop or pour the remains into a thermos.
 I see the Coleman being the morning's center of attention during our big summer beach campouts. I tried it at home on our portable camp stove and it fit and brewed perfectly.

To each his own.

Larry
Larry

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 19994
We purchased a Coleman coffee maker two weeks ago and used it this weekend for four mornings.
Larry,

Where did you buy this coffe maker? internet? local?

edd
2003 Mid Bath

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 20022
"Where did you buy this coffe maker? internet? local?"

Edd

The local Wal-Mart( off the 118 Fwy) stocks them but they were sold out. I walked next door to Sports Chalet and they had several on the shelf.
Wal-Mart was a dollar or so cheaper. They expect to have them in a few weeks.

Larry
Larry

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 20038
Wal-Mart was a dollar or so cheaper. They expect to have them in a few weeks.
Larry and Gary, thanks for the information. Theres a super wal-mart near me. Larry be sure you have a biological hazzard suit and gas mask on the ready.
2003 Mid Bath

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 20044
"Larry be sure you have a biological hazard suit and gas mask on the ready."

Edd
 Working where I do, this is not a joking matter. We are spending tens of millions to improve the security of everyone that uses and works at the Airport. The briefings that we are having can be a little scary.
Pray that this situation does not get out of control.

And it's OK to joke about it just to break the tension.

Larry

P.S. Please don't stop flying, that just lets the terrorists win.
It is still safer to fly than drive and todays airfare bargains can't be beat.
Larry

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 20065
Larry,

Its not a joke, I'm more worried about the deadly or debilitating diseases ie. pneumonia, flu etc., that comes through our ports, airports, and borders.
We've been disease free that our immune system doesn't have enough antibodies to counter them. Our dept. is also monitoring these stuff, and aware of these situation.
I'm for increased security on our airports, ports and borders, this area needs to be watched. The millions we spend to boost our security is money well spent.
Be careful out there and support your civil servant.

edd
2003 Mid Bath

A new coffee maker
Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 19317
Barry,  I just had the same problem trying to send the link to my wife.
After digging around ("newsroom" I think) I found it.  Here's the full text version I just sent her.  There is a picture of it on the actual link that didn't appear here.

Hope this helps,

Larry (the other)

Let's Talk Business Privacy Warranty & Repair Fuel Safety MEDIA CONTACTS: (for members of the working media)     Ann Walden 316-219-7536 Jim Reid 316-219-7537

COLEMAN BRINGS CONVENIENT DRIP-BREWED COFFEE TO CAMP New Stovetop Camping Coffeemaker Works Just Like Electric Version at Home Campers who look forward to that morning "cuppa joe" can now wake up to an easier way to brew camp coffee. In answer to a strong consumer preference for the ease, convenience and taste of drip-brewed coffee, Coleman makes history by introducing the world's first automatic drip coffeemaker made especially for camping.

Unlike the percolator or other traditional campsite options, the new Coleman Camping Coffeemaker makes it possible to drip-brew coffee at camp just like at home - except no electricity is needed. Designed for use with any two- or three-burner camp stove, the Camping Coffeemaker enables campers to consistently brew a delicious pot of coffee with very little time or effort.
 Operation of the coffeemaker is simple. First, place the steel platform directly on top of the stove burner. Then - just like at home - add water to the reservoir in the back of the coffeemaker, place a paper filter in the swing-out basket and add coffee grounds. Light the stove, then sit back and relax.
Within minutes, freshly brewed coffee drips into the glass carafe. For those who can't wait, the handy pause-and-serve feature makes it possible to pour a quick cup before the entire pot is finished brewing.

With the burner on high, brewing a full 10 cups of coffee takes approximately 10 minutes, which is comparable to the time it takes at home.
After brewing is complete, the burner should be turned off or switched to the lowest possible setting, to avoid overheating.

Design Ensures Great Coffee Other than its non-electric power source, the Camping Coffeemaker works just like its electric counterpart. As the stove burner warms up, the coffeemaker heats the water in the reservoir until it begins to vaporize. The vaporizing action pushes the remaining heated water upward to the diffuser head, which sprinkles the hot water over the coffee grounds in the filter.
One of the basic tenets for brewing great-tasting coffee is that the water should be heated to between 190 and 200 degrees Fahrenheit, or just below boiling. This temperature ensures that the water is hot enough to extract the good flavor from the grounds, but not so hot that it "over-extracts" and makes the coffee bitter. The Coleman Camping Coffeemaker's special design keeps the water at just the right temperature no matter what kind of two- or three-burner stove is used.

More than a Coffeemaker As a bonus feature, the Camping Coffeemaker can be used to make a variety of hot drinks such as cocoa and cider, as well as instant hot foods such as soup and oatmeal. Just fill the reservoir with the proper amount of water for whatever is being made, pour the powdered drink, soup mix or oatmeal into the decanter, then light the stove and come back in a few minutes for the finished product.

Consumers Prefer Drip-Brew Method Until now, options for camp coffee making - aside from the instant variety - have been limited mostly to percolators or open pots. Open-pot coffee, also known as cowboy coffee or campfire coffee, calls for bringing a pot of water to boil, removing the pot from the heat, adding the coffee, waiting for the grounds to settle, then very carefully scooping out a cup of coffee so as to avoid stirring up the grounds. Other methods in use, although not enjoying widespread popularity with the camping crowd, include manual single-cup filters or French presses.
Each of the existing options has its drawbacks, but chief among them is that most people aren't accustomed to making their coffee that way. The vast majority of people in the United States use an automatic drip-brewer at home, which - unless they have electrical power at their campsite - has never before been an option while camping.
 Automatic coffeemakers have grown in popularity during the past three decades, displacing the percolator as the coffeemaker of choice in American homes.* According to the January 2002 issue of Appliance Magazine, drip coffeemakers outsell percolators 10-to-one in the U.S. houseware market. As a result of this trend, fewer and fewer people - especially those under the age of 50 - know how to properly prepare coffee in a percolator.
 Common mistakes that affect the quality and taste of percolated coffee include boiling some of the coffee during the brewing process, letting some of the already brewed coffee pass back over the grounds, and allowing grounds to filter down into the coffee.
 The Coleman Camping Coffeemaker eliminates those mistakes. The coffeemaker's design ensures that the ideal water temperature is used to brew the coffee, preventing over- or under-extraction of the grounds. Even with the stove on high, the coffeemaker will not boil the coffee, and the brewed coffee never passes back over the grounds. Use of a paper filter keeps the grounds from ending up in the coffee and allows for easy disposal.
 In addition, cleanup time is minimal with the Coleman Camping Coffeemaker, providing another big advantage over other methods of making camp coffee.

Product Highlights The Coleman Camping Coffeemaker is the world's first automatic drip coffeemaker made especially for camping. It will be available in the United States beginning in January 2003 at outdoor retailers, mass merchants and other retailers that carry Coleman products.
 Patented solid steel base fits on any two- or three-burner camp stove and still leaves room for cooking on the other one or two burners.
 Pause-and-serve feature allows a cup of coffee to be poured during the brew cycle, without causing a mess.

Water reservoir has large opening for easy filling.
 Removable swing-out filter basket pops off easily for filling and cleaning, and it accommodates all brands of 8- to 12-cup basket-style paper filters.
 Large 10-cup decanter has wide mouth for easy pouring and is made of glass for easy viewing of contents, a feature valued by consumers. The decanter is easy to protect with careful packing and storage, as generations of campers have done with their glass-globed Coleman lanterns. (If it does break, however, the decanter can be easily replaced - either with a Coleman version or with any 10-cup glass decanter used in a standard household drip coffeemaker.)
 Coffeemaker does double-duty, making coffee as well as other hot beverages and instant foods such as soup and oatmeal.

Suggested retail $39.99.

The Coleman Company, Inc., manufactures and distributes products for camping, backpacking, tailgating, backyard grilling and other outdoor leisure-time activities. Specialty brands include Coleman BackHome and Coleman Exponent. Widely available in the United States, Canada and more than 100 countries worldwide, Coleman products can be found at outdoor retailers, sporting goods stores, mass merchants, hardware home centers, food and drug stores, and online retailers.
Also available from the company is the Coleman Outernet - a convenient new resource for outdoor travel planning. The site, accessible at
www.colemanouternet.com, provides information on camping spots, scenic drives and other outdoor experiences - as well as mapping and reservation capability - within a visitor-specified geographic region of the United States.
 Enjoying its second century of operation, Coleman is based in Wichita, Kan., and is a subsidiary of American Household, Inc. For more information, consumers can go to www.coleman.com or they can contact Coleman at 800-835-3278,  or P.O. Box 2931, Wichita, KS 67201.
 Note to media: Electronic images or slides are available upon request.
Coleman also maintains a newsroom with downloadable news releases and photos at www.coleman.com/newsroom.

- end -

Back to Newsroom
 Search     Search Entire Site Search Products Search Repair Parts Search Categories Search Activities

Larry

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: A new coffee maker
Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 19321
Larry,

It sounds interesting.  I hope someone buys one and reports on how well it works in a LD.  It would also be interesting to know how large it is.
 My only complaint would be that I prefer a thermos-type carafe, which this apparently doesn't have.

Barry

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: A new coffee maker
Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 19325
My only complaint would be that I prefer a thermos-type carafe, which this apparently doesn't have.

Barry
We carry a thermos anyway, since our normal product is percolated, and will cool rapidly in frosty climes. We use the same type as at home - a carafe which will hold almost the full output of a '12-cup' brew. It has a conventional pour spout under the lid - not a 'pump'.

I have no idea what we will do when it breaks. The market seems to think there is no longer a need for such a large dewer of this type, and I despise the pump models. Ten-cup thermoses designed for replacement in their native coffee machines are outrageously expensive. If anyone knows of a source of one similar to what I describe, I would like to stock up. The originals were a Chicago bank giveaway for opening a new account - many decades ago.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit