Skip to main content
Topic: How long can I expect an engine to last (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
How long can I expect an engine to last
Yahoo Message Number: 19240
To All: I have been reading this groups postings for quite a while and was hoping someone would be able to provide me with some information, as I am interested in purchasing a used LD in the future, though not quite certain exactly when.  I was thinking on buying one in the mid to late 80's model, which seems to come with the E350 V8 engine.
Some ads that I have seen say that they have put in a new engine and /or transmission.  Some have said that a new engine was put in around the 50-80k range.
 Assuming that the engine had regular maintenance and oil changes and if the rv was not used to tow anything, would anyone know if these motorhomes will need new engines and/or transmissions every 50-80k miles?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much Sincerely, Dale

Re: How long can I expect an engine to last
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 19243
To All: I have been reading this groups postings for quite a while and was hoping someone would be able to provide me with some information, as I am interested in purchasing a used LD in the future, though not quite certain exactly when.  I was thinking on buying one in the mid to late 80's model, which seems to come with the E350 V8 engine.
Some ads that I have seen say that they have put in a new engine and /or transmission.  Some have said that a new engine was put in around the 50-80k range.

Assuming that the engine had regular maintenance and oil changes and if the rv was not used to tow anything, would anyone know if these motorhomes will need new engines and/or transmissions every 50-80k miles?
Bottom line - unknowable, due to the high variation in owner understanding of the stresses the drivetrain is subjected to in these vehicles. NOT abused, the engines should last 150k or more before needing complete overhaul or replacement, but lots of components can fail periodically due to marginal design. The transmissions can last longer. A thorough mechanical diagnostic is a good investment when you find one you want, but safest is to budget for several thousand in repairs off the bat.

Steve

2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 19245
There is no way to determine how long an individual engine will last.
150k miles is not unreasonable expectations for a non abused, well maintained engine in a vehicle the size and weight of a LD. However, motorhomes that sit for long periods without being started or driven are prone to spun bearings or scuffed cylinder walls. The lubrication drains from these components and dry starts damage the components.
Consider, too, many MH owners being uninformed, take their pride and joy to their friendly shop with a not so major problem. Mr shop owner sees a 'hot one' and pretty soon mr MH driver has a new engine, needed or not.
Terminology: Be aware that Chevy had a 350 cid engine and Ford had a 351 cid engine. IMO, either engine would be marginal in a Rocky Mt. environment. Don't know just how many of these smaller engines wound up in LDs.  Many LDs are built on a Ford E350 chassis.

jmho, ray, in FL, who converted his first motorhome in 1967.

to late 80's model, which seems to come with the E350 V8 engine.

Assuming that the engine had regular maintenance and oil changes and

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 19249
If you chose a mid '80's Chevy with the 350 cubic inch V8 (5.7- liters), look out for the following:

Water Pump: The mid-80's Chevy/GMC vans were designed to accept the longer 6- cylinder engines.  The V8 water pumps reach 'way out there to put the fan close enough to the radiator.  The cobbled-up accessory drives on these engines invovle a lot of belts, and high belt loads on the water pump.

You need a heavy duty water pump --a Stewart racing pump (not the highest priceed units in their line) has a really good bearing.

If the water pump fails, the 350 is probably lost. The 86-up roller cam blocks were pretty thin castings and warp easily --loosing piston ring seal.

Engine Duty Cycle: RV engines have a tough life hauling all of that weight and wind resistance.  They work harder in an RV than they so in smaller vehicles.  The Chevy RV engines were made less powerful in the 80's so they would last longer --rather than being built more rugged.

When a 350 Chevy goes bad, a GM Performance Parts HD383 Truck Crate Engine is a good candidate for replacement.  It has heavy duty crank, rods, pistons and block.  Costs about $3700.

To just power the hulk away for resale, a GM Goodwrench 350 can be purchased new with warranty for about $1400.

Durability: The Big 3 engines built in the '90s are required to run low emission levels for 100,000 miles.  That means keeping the oil out of the combustion chambers; and that, in turn, means that they can't scrimp on engine quality.  First spark plug change at 100,000 miles! (Emission control item.)

bob phillips

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 19253
bob phillips
I pretty much agree with the previous posts.  My '84 is running well, it's tuned up now and the last couple outings has even done over 9 mgg for fuel economy.  However, it does lose some oil, about a quart every 1000 miles.  It used to be worse before I fixed some leaks around the valve covers.

Bob mentioned the 383.  I love that engine, (it's a "stroker" which is really a modified 350).  The major problem with it from what I've read is that it is technically illegal to put in our '80's LD's.  I know that most people wouldn't be able to tell by looking at it that it wasn't a straight up 350, so you could probably get away with it, and it's emissions are probably better than our old 350's (so it probably meets the spirit of the EPA rules), but technically it's still illegal.  You can check out what the feds (EPA) say about what's legal and what isn't at: http://www.epa.gov/compliance/resources/policies/civil/caa/mobile/engs witch.pdf

To paraphrase you can put any "certified configuration" engine for your chassis, doesn't even have to be the same year, it can be newer.  For us ('80's vintage LD) I think that means you could put in a carburated 350, a newer 350, or a 454.  I also saw that the crate 502 was a "certified" legal replacement for the 454, so I think you could buy that too, if you could find a way to fit it in, and wanted that extra weight up front. On most web sites with the 383 you'll see something like (taken from a site): "The HT 383 should only be used in 1973 and earlier pre-emissions street vehicles or any year off road vehicles".

If someone knows something about the legality of that 383, let me know because it looks like a sweet setup, it would be a lot easier to swap, and it would be a lot lighter than the 502! ;)

Chuck.

How long can I expect an engine to l
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 19248
My 86 has 145,000 miles on engine and transmission.  No signs yet of any weakening or degradation that is affecting performance.  I don't tow and I don't push it on the grades.
Ron in San Clemente

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 19250
My 86 has 145,000 miles on engine and transmission.  No signs yet
of any weakening or degradation that is affecting performance.  I don't tow and I don't push it on the grades.

Ron in San Clemente  From: seetheeye
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2003 10:16 PM
 Subject: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] How long can I expect an
engine to last

To All: I have been reading this groups postings for quite a while and was  hoping someone would be able to provide me with some information, as  I am interested in purchasing a used LD in the future, though not quite certain exactly when.  I was thinking on buying one in the mid  to late 80's model, which seems to come with the E350 V8 engine.
Some ads that I have seen say that they have put in a new engine and /or transmission.  Some have said that a new engine was put in  around the 50-80k range.

Assuming that the engine had regular maintenance and oil changes and  if the rv was not used to tow anything, would anyone know if these  motorhomes will need new engines and/or transmissions every 50- 80k  miles?

">lifewithalazydazerv-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze