Skip to main content
Topic: Factory Solar Panel Location (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Factory Solar Panel Location
Yahoo Message Number: 1701
Probably a question for Steve or Ed at the factory, but...

I would like to know where the factory mounts the solar panels. We're getting a 26.5 Rear Bath.

We will clutter the roof with a 17-foot kayak along the Left edge, a bike for 3-bikes, a satellite antenna and solar panels.

Does anyone see an overcrowding problem looming on our roof?

bob phillips

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 1705
On our 26.5 MB, the solar panel is mounted just behind the cabover escape hatch. It is approx 2' x 4' and is mounted left-to-right.
I don't haul anything on the roof. You can get a hitch-mounted bike rack to keep your bikes off the roof. When we tow the boat, I put the bikes in the boat.

Rob 2000 26.5 MB ...man, this club sure is growing, Greg!

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 1750
I have carried two 17 foot sea kayaks on top of my 83LD for years mounted according to Ed's instructions. I supported them on the screws that run on the side just below the top. I ran unistrut across the top and use craddles to sit the boats in. This takes all the weight on the top and puts it down the side, preventing roof sag. As for the solar panels ask them to put them where you want them, figure out ahead of time how you are going to configure the top( I asked once if they could mount the TV ant in a different place and Ed said not, then Steve said yes).Also get as many panels as you can afford, it's nice not having to run a generator or go for a long drive when you battery dies and 120v electrical is not available.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 1763
Thanks for the Sea Kayak mounting tip.

I

haven't gotten Ed's promised sketches yet. According to Steve, the 26.5 RB's solar panels are to the left of the A/C box and just forward of the wardrobe. That's right where I had the 'yak on my previous rig.

bob