Skip to main content
Topic: spare tire (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
spare tire
Yahoo Message Number: 19137
We recently purchased 6 new tires.  The current spare I'm sure is original, 14 years old, and still holding air!  Would it be better to use one of the current 7 year old tires as the spare or keep the 14 year old (which has seldom seen the light of day) as the spare.
I would anticipate the spare would only be used to get us to a town to fix the flat or get a replacement tire.  Many of you will probably say you should get 7 new tires, but we decided to go with 6 and hope the spare won't be needed.  The new tires are the exact same style as what is on the LD (Bridgestone R265).  The current 14 year old spare is the same size (lt 215 85R16) but is a Michelin instead of Bridgestone.  Thanks.

Re: spare tire
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 19138
Rick

I guess if I was so broke that I could not afford a new spare, I would keep the best 7 year old tire. If I was that broke, I probably would not be able to afford the gas to use the rig. Any of these tires are unsafe.
Lets say you have a rear flat so you install your spare. There are many parts of this country where the nearest tire store (or town) is a hundred or more miles away. Odds are if you try driving that distance, the spare will blow. When this happens it often take the other tire with it. It will probably take out the wheel well and anything else in the vicinity (holding tanks, refrigerator, heater, etc.). It can also cause you to lose control of your MH. If you are still alive, you will be looking at a substantial towing and repair bill. Your vacation will be ruined. All of this to save a $125.
It's your life, live it as you please. I hope nobody gets hurt.

The tires are the weakest link in your motor home.
Just because the spare has never been used, it still has been exposed to the atmosphere. The combination of oxygen and ozone deteriorate the rubber. Not using the tire causes it to rot quicker than when it is used. Your Lazy Daze owner's manual says that tires over six years old are unsafe and should be replaced.

Good luck

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 19147
Rick,

I'm in agreement with Larry on this issue. The cost of a new spare outweighs the potential problems and costs that can be caused by using an old spare tire especially on a vehicle as heavy and expensive as a motor home. Tires that aren't heated up in use don't release the built-in protectants they are made with to the surface and they dry rot much faster even when not exposed to the sun. Old tires can cause a lot more expensive problems than the cost to replace them.

Mike

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 19149
Rick,

I agree with the others, but another factor is that your spare is a different make.  Just because they are the same tire size, does not mean they are the same size dimensionally.  For example the diameter of the R265 is 30.5" and a Michelin XPS is 30.7".  Granted, it's only 2 tenths of a inch difference, but I'm sure that would do more harm than good.
 BTW, have you been happy with the R265's?  Will you be replacing with the same?  I'm getting ready to buy new tires myself and have been debating over the 2.  I'm leaning towards the XPS, but still undecided.  A local truck tire shop also suggested the Bridgestone R187.  Does anyone have an opinion on these tires?

-Victor

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 19162
Victor, I didn't know they made the R187 in the size for the E350 or E450 chassis' but after looking at the newest Bridgestone web page they do have them in sizes that can be used on your year chassis. Take a look at this page and do the selection by vehicle fitment, product name, size, or whatever way you like and see which sounds the best to you.
 If I remember correctly you said your current tires were LT215/85R16 and using that the R187 does come up as a suggested tire. It also comes up on some of the '90s Club Wagons in the higher passenger models on the heavier duty chassis'. There are several other Bridgestone tires that can be used based on that selector as well including some non-Rib types with speed ratings in load range D and
E. You don't need to use Rib type tires and actually some people
 prefer the non-Rib types for better traction especially in wet and/or snowy conditions. There are a few different Rib designs as well and one that has what they claim and looks to have a better tread design for wet/snowy travel, the M773 swp II.
 I know it can snow out it those Colorado Mountains even in the middle of summer so those may be of interest to you. We were there July 4th week once when they got snow a couple days and had well over 10" in some areas like Independence Pass going into Aspen that was closed due to it. The ski resorts were all open on the 4th with free lift tickets for skiers and snow boarders!
 http://www.bridgestonetire.com/dpp/index.asp 
Mike

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 19176
Mike,

Thanks for the comments.
 I'm glad you mentioned the non-rib tires.  It's a question I've been meaning to ask about.  Encountering snow during the summer is a real concern and it's something that's been on my mind.  One of the reasons I thought about all-season tires.  I like the M773 tires you mentioned.  It seems like a good comprimise between rib and all- season.  They are also cheaper.  I'm going to send an email off to Bridgestone and ask about those tires.  My main concern would be road noise.
BTW, you were correct on the tire size.

-Victor

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 19194
BTW, have you been happy with the R265's?  Will you be replacing with the same?
Victor, We've only had the LD for less than a year, but the tires ride well and are fairly quiet.  The 7 year old tires still have good tread as would be expected and I've only noticed a reasonably small sidewall crack on one of them.  We already did buy the new Bridgestone R265s, just haven't had them mounted and balanced yet.
 As far as buying 6 tires instead of 7, it isn't that we're broke (or cheap for that matter).  We detailed out the expenses we've put into it so far (engine maintenance, heater core, registration, new toilet, tires, bedding, tv, insurance, grill, hoses, blocks, am/fm/cd player, etc. etc.) and it totaled $5000.00, so we needed to start cutting back on expenses.  Judging by the firmness of the responses, trying to save on the 7th tire isn't a good place to do it.