Skip to main content
Topic: Hard mattress (Read 35 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: "T" Fitting 1/8" outlet
Reply #50
Yahoo Message Number: 19464
"Is the PEX water pipe that LD uses 1/2"?" Yes, LD uses 1/2" I.O. PEX tubing for all fresh water lines in current models. That works out to be 5/8" O.D. tubing since the walls of PEX tubing are 1/6" thick if you want to use compression type fittings on it.

"What specific valve would I need to provide to Steve at Lazy Daze for him to install that would enable me to easily hook up to the Nature Pure filter with 3/8" water connection?"

First you need to find out IF Steve at LD will install one you'll send to him! As for a valve type I don't know of any that fits the PEX and doesn't require another fitting or adapter. I would get the 1/2" PEX to 1/2" MPT tee like the ones at Pexconnection.com, p/n: 41111, and a 1/2" cap (either CMP or FIP type will work) from any hardware store for it that you can remove and use 3/8"CMPx1/2"FIP supply line to connect the Nature Pure directly to the 1/2"MPT tee connection.

"Is this valve available at Pexconnection.com or some other place online?"

The PEX 1/2" tee is available at Pexconnection.com but I don't know what their minimum order is. I used that site as a good example of available PEX components because they have a large selection and good pictures of them. All the other parts are available online or at Home Depot, Lowes, or hardware or plumbing stores. Plumbing stores often carry the PEX parts also but not all stores carry those items and many will refer you to compression fittings or other types that work with PEX. I would guess if Steve did install the fitting he'd want it to be the PEX type to be consistent with what they normally use if he agrees to install a special part you supply. If he does and sees that several other customers are interested in this type of tee arrangement he may decide to just make that a standard option. I can understand why they want to use the standard icemaker tee because that type allows the water to be shut off to the tee connection without affecting anything else. Unfortunately it is not the best type for anything but an icemaker or something that the low flow rate doesn't impact negatively.

Mike

Reply #51
Yahoo Message Number: 19466
Edd, OK you were referring to the inside diameter of the tubing that would come off of the 1/4" O.D. connection on the icemaker tee LD used. As I said I can understand that type of arrangement not being sufficient for the Nature Pure or almost any drinking water filter. For an icemaker that fills very slowly anyway it's fine.

I would suggest you get the crimper like part# 18599 on Pexconnection.com. That's what a friend has and it works great and does all the common sizes. It's also not a bad price at $50 there but you may need to be a dealer to buy at that site. I'm not sure but it keeps asking me for a dealer sign-in lately when I go to it but it doesn't require one so that may just be for getting discounts off those prices. Most RV stores that sell them charge around $60-65.
It's made by Marshall Brass, part# PX-925, my 2002 Coast Distribution System catalog from my local RV parts/repair place lists it as $62.95 and the Coast part# is 26051.

Mike

Reply #52
Yahoo Message Number: 19467
Mike,

Thank you very much.  This is exactly the information I needed.
I sent a request to Steve N. asking him to install the connector if I supply it.  We'll see what happens.

Your thorough responses in this discussion group are very much appreciated.

thanks again,

Mike S.

Re: Water Line T fittings was Hard mattress
Reply #54
Yahoo Message Number: 19471
Lorna,

We bought the faucet model, http://www.generalecology.com/nature% 20pure.htm#faucet , and installed it ourselves on the counter behind the sink on the left.  When we ordered our 2001 I don't think that having LD install a T was an option, at least I didn't know about it.  We bought the connectors at a hardware store.  I can't remember right now what size they were but I should know soon as we still have to install the new one and that means getting everything out of the cabinet and getting in there again.

There is something I would do differently if I were starting over.
One is to try and install it on the sink as others have suggested here.  If not that, I'd put it a little farther back from the edge of the sink.  Ours is pretty close, around 1/4", and it is hard to get in there to keep it dry and clean.

There is some choking down of the water flow to the filter compared to the flow at the sink.  It does mean that the water pump kind of chugs when you are using the filter faucet.  From reading the water pump manual, it is a result of the low water flow and can also happen if you barely turn on one of the other faucets or use the water saver on the shower.  The actual flow of water from the filter faucet is fast enough for me, it doesn't hit the frustration level.
For our uses, it's not often that we need large quantities of water from the filter.  The main time that the speed of the flow is noticable is in the morning when I'm filling the coffee pot.
Generally I set the pot on the sink cover and let it fill, it takes a minute or so.  Filling a water bottle doesn't take long.

Hope this helps,

Jonna, Marin County (CA)

Hi Jonna -- Which model Nature Pure did you buy and who installed
it?

Also, did you have Lazy Daze pre-install the "T" connection, or did you use some other combination of hardware?  Annnnnnd, there was some discussion here about the connections (e.g. ice maker type) slowing down the flow of water to just above frustration level! What has been your experience with the fittings you are using?  All the details you have time to share would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Reply #55
Yahoo Message Number: 19473
OK. I'll post Steve's reply.

I also went over to home depot and my local hardware store today.
Neither one carries the needed part.  Looks like I'll have to get it online.

Mike

Reply #56
Yahoo Message Number: 19475
Jonna, so glad you've committed to reading all postings -- I'm never sure if someone's going to catch one directed to a particular person.
Thanks for your response.  My LD is a RB (as I believe yours is) -- I'm not getting a clear picture of your recommended installation.  Is there a photo of your filter or sink on your photo page?

Thanks again, Lorna
2003 RB

Reply #57
Yahoo Message Number: 19480
Lorna,

I'm sometimes late reading all the posts as it can take too long when I'm on a cell phone connection.  I'm home now with the DSL line and I'm trying to catch up.  Yes, I do have a RB.

You can kind of see my filter faucet

Reply #58
Yahoo Message Number: 19491
Mike R.
Thanks for the links, that will be my future project. I hooked it up from city water source(with LD regulator) and water flow was substancial. I'll get that crimper thats adapted to close quarter work, it looks like a must have tool for me, right now it would do.

tiagre

OK you were referring to the inside diameter of the tubing that would
2003 Mid Bath

Reply #59
Yahoo Message Number: 19518
Jonna, thanks -- I checked out your photo and now see (and imagine) what you're referring to topside for location of the fawcet.
Hate to be such a pest, but how did you work the connections under the sink without the LD "T"?  Since it's sounding like some of the installations using the "ice maker" style connection might be a little tedious, I'm re-thinking the LD-installed T Connection and perhaps going with a different "design."  You mentioned a "new one."  Are you going to install a different filter?  Different connections? Thanks aga
2003 RB

Reply #60
Yahoo Message Number: 19534
Edd (tiagre)

Is the only problem with the flow to the filter faucet on pump that the pump cycles so often? What about actual flow volume? If the flow volume is sufficient on pump but the only problem being the pump cycles on and off often that is to be expected with certain water uses in a RV. For example this also happens when you shut the shower water flow off at the showerhead when on pump. I wouldn't consider that to be a flow problem if the amount of water coming through the faucet is sufficient. It will rarely be as good as on city water hook- up with the LD supplied regulator but if it is sufficient then I don't think others should have a problem with sticking with the icemaker tee.
 I just feel that a 1/4" O.D. (1/8" I.D.) connector/supply line would be insufficient for this purpose and reduce flow to a dribble but that doesn't mean it would or that everyone would feel that it is insufficient. Especially if they'll be camping more often withhook- ups than without. If they use a 3/8"MIPx1/4"FIP bushing on the tee then they can just hook the supplied Nature Pure 3/8" supply line to it without any problem. That part at Home Depot is SKU #552291 and is $.97, at least when I look it up online. I know regionally it could be different since they require your zip code for pricing and availability of items and I used Home Depot only as an example.
People can get those at about that price from many sources. PEX icemaker tees are 1/4" O.D. so that would mate the Nature Pure supply line perfectly to the LD installed icemaker tee.

Mike

Reply #61
Yahoo Message Number: 19566
Mike,

Is the only problem with the flow to the filter faucet on pump that the pump cycles so often? What about actual flow volume?
Yes, the pump cycles often. I would say the flow, though low, is sufficient enough, ie. glass of water.

It will rarely be as good as on city water hook-

up with the LD supplied regulator but if it is sufficient then I don't think others should have a problem with sticking with the icemaker tee.
Not only that if I decide to replace it with say 1/2" fitting, it would be much easier cause the "T" is already there. For $35, its still cheaper than tapping on the supply line without ample space to work. Ask Larry.

If they use a 3/8"MIPx1/4"FIP bushing on the tee > then they can
just hook the supplied Nature Pure 3/8" supply line to

it without any problem. That part at Home Depot is SKU #552291
I believe I used this one 1/4"CMPx3/8"MIP, SKU#541923. I already tried 3/8"MIPx1/4"FIP bushing, the 1/4" end is too big. I returned it.
2003 Mid Bath

Reply #62
Yahoo Message Number: 19584
Lorna,

but how did you work the connections under the sink without the
LD "T"? >> We have a plastic T connection (that we got at a hardware store) that goes from the LD water line (I don't know what size it is) to the 3/8" that the water filter requires.  We cut the water line, put the T in, and connected the water filter line to it.  Other than it is in a small, tight space it was not difficult.  As I recall, it took some looking to find the right T.  I don't know what size the ice maker T is but if it is smaller than 3/8" than you would need to bring the size up again to fit the water filter, I think that would seriously restrict the water flow.  Ours has a good flow rate, it causes the water pump to stay on but it fills a 32 oz bottle pretty quickly.

filter? >> As I posted earlier, our filter started dripping from the spout and General Ecology sent us a new faucet.  That's the one we need to install but haven't gotten to yet. We won't need to change the connection to do this. This drip started after 30k of sometimes bad roads in Mexico (and California), I only called them to see if I could get an O ring for it.  I was amazed when they said they would just send me a whole new filter faucet.  Great company.

Jonna

Reply #63
Yahoo Message Number: 19612
Other than it

is in a small, tight space it was not difficult.  As I recall, it took some looking to find the right T.
You make it sound simple and f fort less.  Thanks Jonna.

I was amazed when they said they would

just send me a whole new filter faucet.  Great company.
Oh yeah, I remember now you posted that earlier.  Sorry folks, for making Jonna repeat herself!

Lorna
2003 RB

Water filters and antennas and Sarah's new blue baby
Reply #65
Yahoo Message Number: 20143
Sarah,

Congratulations again!  You really did move quickly but I know that you have done a lot of 'hands on' research.  In fact, by getting a used LD first and taking an extended trip in it I think you have made this big purchase in exactly the right way.

Jonna - which model did you get? Thx, Sarah
We have the faucet model of Nature Pure filters.
http://www.generalecology.com/nature%20pure.htm#faucet

We also got the double locking mounting bracket and mounted it near the front of the cabinet under the sink.  It is quite secure there, we put it towards the front as that is the location of the filter which needs to be changed regularly.

I concur with everything you ordered and didn't order.  My only thought is that you should get whatever antennas you may want installed while the coach is being built.  It is harder (or at least for us it's harder, we are very leery of putting holes in the top of our LD) to add these later.  Not just because of the 'hole in the roof' fear but also because the wiring must be run and that is a lot easier and cleaner when they do it as they build the coach.  We had the mighty mouse gps antenna installed during construction.  It gives us much better reception, most important in marginal areas, I recommend it.   If I were ordering again I would also have them install an XM radio antenna and a Wilson cell phone antenna.  I might also purchase a better CB antenna and have that put in instead of the factory one.

Currently we set the Wilson cell phone antenna on the back of the couch if we need it while driving.  Once parked, we climb up and attach it to the railing on the roof and run the wire through a window.  It provides a solid connection in a marginal area and holds the connection much better for both voice and data.  We have the Wilson dual band cellular antenna (part # 301101) that we purchased from Alf Electronics http://www.alfenterprises.com/wilson_mobile_cellular.htm   We also got an additional 25' of cable, the needed connectors and a spring mount.  The customer service there has been great.

We have the 'shark fin' XM radio antenna and we have put it under the escape hatch vent, on top of the snap on cover.  It does very well receiving through the vent window but the wiring running down from there leaves a lot to be desired.  We picked XM over Sirius because of their reception pattern which is better in the south, particularly Mexico, Central America and the Gulf of Mexico.  We had great reception all the way down to the Yucatan and have heard it is also good in Costa Rica.  There were a few areas in the isthmus of Mexico that the signal got spotty but outside of that the reception was incredible.

We also use the CB frequently, we find it is the best way to find out what is going on ahead of you as well as being the best way to communicate with friends you are traveling with. Our reception is marginal and we've been thinking of replacing the antenna with a Wilson or a Firestik.  I believe the antenna needs to match the cable however.  I got the cable part number on my last trip to the mother ship and I am going to do some more research on what we can add to the CB setup that will get the most improvement.

Although I admit I'm a geek and love electronic toys, I do use all of these a lot and I think all of them would be very useful particularly for a fulltimer and a frequent boondocker.

Happy waiting,

Jonna

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Water filters and antennas and Sarah
Reply #66
Yahoo Message Number: 20151
Thanks Janna for all the recommendations - I'm printing your post off and taking it back to the Mother Ship next week.  You're the second person to recommend that LD install the better/additional antennas and 'path' through the roof. Will do. I guess (hope) they don't mind a few additional 'tweaks' just after you order a new baby.
 Remember that you were going to help me install the water purifier in Mz.
Daisy, the Older when I get to the Bay Area in a few weeks? Well, now I'll just wait until Mz. Daisy Two is born, and we can put it then. I've lived this long without filtered water - will likely survive 8 more months.
 See you guys at the Escapade in a couple of weeks- I'm going to take a better look at the things you've done to your coach this time.

Sarah

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Water filters and antennas and Sarah
Reply #67
Yahoo Message Number: 20177
I see from reading here that LD isn't willing to install a lot of antennas when building the coach.  The opening with a cap sounds like a great idea, you never know what you will want to hook up in a year or so.

I know that I was unable to talk Tim into installing ours after pickup.  He was great at explaining where and how we could do it but ... it's still a scary thought to me.  Tim did tell me that the hole that they bring the CB and GPS antenna through is then filled with so much sealer that it would not be worth it to try and pick it out and use that to bring in other cable.  I think my best bet is Larry's solution, at least we don't have to drill a hole in the roof.

It will be great to see you at the Escapade. If they have reserved 50 spots for Lazy Dazers, it sounds like it might be a great spot for wannabes to be able to see a lot of units.  We went to our first Escapade before we got Tortuga and were thrilled to get to see so many Lazy Daze.

Jonna

Re: Water filters and antennas and Sarah's new blue baby
Reply #68
Yahoo Message Number: 20220
Our reception is

marginal and we've been thinking of replacing the antenna with a Wilson or a Firestik.  I believe the antenna needs to match the cable however.
FYI.  The LD original CB antenna is a Firestik.  And any CB antenna will work just fine with your original CB cable.  My only problem with the LD antenna is their use of exposed screw terminals for the antenna connection.  These do corrode over time and will affect range.  Firestik has adapters to convert to a connecterized and therefore better install.  This may be all you need for the improvement you want.
There really is not any major difference between CB antennas regardles of what the manufacturers claim.  No antenna gain is available at CB frequencies.  A lot of "magic" is claimed for CB equipment so be informed.  From one who spent a career in radio communications.
Steve T

Reply #69
Yahoo Message Number: 20222
"My only problem with the LD antenna is their use of exposed screw terminals for the antenna connection.  These do corrode over time and will affect range."

Steve T

To seal exposed electrical fittings try using  `Liquid Electrical Tape'. It is a fast drying liquid plastic that comes in a small can with it's own brush. It is available at many hardware stores or at:

http://www.westmarine.com/ Part number 544171. It is available in several colors.
 To use, just brush it on and let it dry. Apply several coats until a thick layer has developed. It holds up well to outside exposure.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #70
Yahoo Message Number: 20225
"My only problem with the LD antenna is their use of exposed screw terminals for the antenna connection.  These do corrode over time
and will affect range."

Steve T

To seal exposed electrical fittings try using  `Liquid Electrical Tape'.
Interesting.  Will it also come off when needed? Or is it permanent? Flexible or hard?   Steve T

Reply #71
Yahoo Message Number: 20229
I just love this group!

Steve T. wrote:

FYI.  The LD original CB antenna is a Firestik.  And any CB
antenna will work just fine with your original CB cable.
Thanks Steve, can I pick your brain a little more about this?  I talked to Steve at LD and he told me that the cable installed in our 2001 is standard, RG59 cable.  Not knowing what that was, I wrote it down.  For some reason that I can't comprehend now, I didn't ask him about the antenna itself.  Although it doesn't look like the ones I've seen in truck stops, I had also heard that the antenna is a Firestik.

I've read that the antenna is more important than the CB receiver and that the type and length of the cable were "tuned" to the antenna???  In fact, most guides say you have to have a SWR meter in order to "tune" your antenna.  This sounded like something I needed to learn more about before buying anything.

I don't need to blast my requests for info into the next county or pick up signals from another state.  All I really would like is to be able to reliably hear someone within a couple of miles of my location. Currently, we either lose the transmission or don't pick it up at all over about a mile, sometimes less.  I think that CB is line of sight, this is even on flat unobstructed highway.

My only problem with the LD antenna is their use of exposed screw
terminals for the antenna connection.  These do corrode over time and will affect range.  Firestik has adapters to convert to a connecterized and therefore better install.  This may be all you need for the improvement you want.
Are you saying that just by swapping out the connector on the roof I could get that kind of improvement?  That would be great.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge,

Jonna

Reply #72
Yahoo Message Number: 20230
"Will it also come off when needed? Or is it permanent? Flexible or hard?"

Steve T
 If this is the same as all other brands of liquid electrical tape you can buy it at many places and it is flexible and will come off like most other sealants but isn't always the easiest stuff to take off.
Many home improvement and eletrical/electronics stores carry it. West Marine just has their name put on this stuff, I don't remember off hand who actually makes it and don't have any on hand right now to check out the container.

There is also a silicone sealant made sepecially for electrical/electronics connections but liquid electrical tape works better IMO. If you use the silicone type then nothing else will ever stick to it.

Mike

Re: Liquid electrical tape
Reply #73
Yahoo Message Number: 20232
"To seal exposed electrical fittings try using  `Liquid Electrical Tape'.
Interesting.  Will it also come off when needed? Or is it permanent? Flexible or hard? "

Steve T

It sticks well but can be peeled off if needed. It molds itself around things and that is part of what holds it on. The plastic is the same type that quality electrical tape is made of.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #74
Yahoo Message Number: 20236
I talked to Steve at LD and he told me that the cable installed in
our 2001 is standard, RG59 cable.
 Interesting.  RG-59 is TV cable and isn't designed for CB.  However, I can see that they don't want to stock more cable than they need to. The difference isn't great and it will work. I won't get technical here.

> I've read that the antenna is more important than the CB receiver and that the type and length of the cable were "tuned" to the antenna???
Bottom line: no system is any better than the weakest link.
The cable length as used in a vehicle makes no difference if the antenna is tuned properly.

In fact, most guides say you have to have a SWR meter in order to "tune" your antenna.
True.  It is probably easier to find a fellow camper with one and have them tune it for you.  Cheaper too.  That little chrome ring on the fat part (high tech here)of the LD CB antenna is the tuning part.  Just rotate it up or down to change tuning, BUT NOT WITHOUT THE TUNING METER!!   You can't tune it by ear!

I think that CB is line of sight, this is even on flat
unobstructed highway.

True again.  Range for CB is really short.  If you see 'em, you can talk to 'em.  You go around a bend in the road in hilly country, you will probably lose 'em.  A mile is good.

Are you saying that just by swapping out the connector on the roof
I could get that kind of improvement?  That would be great.
 I'm going to a simpler idea here thanks to Larry. That is to remove, clean, and reattach the present terminals and then to apply the "liquid electrical tape" (thanks, Larry) that's available in hardware/electronic stores. There are other means to seal connections as well. Radio Shack has some. Those with nearly new rigs can probably skip the cleaning part. I'm going to check mine.
Steve T