Skip to main content
Topic: Hard mattress (Read 36 times) previous topic - next topic
Hard mattress
Yahoo Message Number: 19109
We have a 22001 30' IB which we are really enjoying however we are finding the mattress getting difficult to sleep on. The foam is really dense and hard...to hard for these bones. Ha!  We were wondering if anyone else has this problem and if so what have you done to solve it.
Thank you, Dan and Kathie
 p.s. Not sure where the first message we posted went so if this is a repeat, sorry!

Re: Hard mattress
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 19112
Here's a plug for a wonderful product!  With both of us having bad backs (Don, 2 surgeries), Laura - pending! + a broken neck and potential hip replacement, we're now using the Thermolux mattress pads at home and in the LD and just recently purchased the pillows.
They do help!  All available at CW - not expensive either, maybe double what you'd pay for a "regular" eggcrate.  Also use a healthy mattress pad.

Hard mattress
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 19113
We really are really enjoying our 30'IB however we are finding the foam mattress to be too hard, which makes it difficult to sleep on.
Is or has anyone else experienced this problem and if so how have you solved it. thanks in advance for any help, Dan and Kathie

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 19135
We have a 22001 30' IB which we are really enjoying however we are finding the mattress getting difficult to sleep on. The foam is really dense and hard...to hard for these bones. Ha!  We were wondering if anyone else has this problem and if so what have you done to solve it.
Thank you, Dan and Kathie

p.s. Not sure where the first message we posted went so if this is a repeat, sorry!
select comfort air mattress.
I put one in my 2001 IB.  queen size fits.  love it.

Lanny

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 19141
We really are really enjoying our 30'IB however we are finding the foam mattress to be too hard, which makes it difficult to sleep on.
Is or has anyone else experienced this problem and if so how have you solved it. thanks in advance for any help, Dan and Kathie
We experienced the same problem in the cab-over bed.  We purchased the memory foam mattress from Camping World and are very happy with it.  It is a little more expensive than the eggcrate mattress which they also sell there.  We don't have a basis to compare them both.

Cindy
Cindy Beck
2004 MB Blue/White, Honda CRV
Corona, CA

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 19161
"we're now using the Thermolux mattress pads at home and in the LD and just recently purchased the pillows. They do help! All available at CW - not expensive either, maybe double what you'd pay for a 'regular' eggcrate."
 Amen! The "memory foam" mattress pads (the generic name for this is viscoelastic foam) are much more comfortable than standard urethane foam, and well worth the extra money in my humble opinion.
 I bought one of those $1,000 adjustable air-filled mattresses for home a couple of years ago, but never was really comfortable with it. Either it was too firm, or it was comfortable but I wallowed in it, like lying on an underinflated camping air mattress.
 I ended up layering on viscoelastic foam pads (they were $30 apiece from Camping World at the time) until I had six of 'em, and pumping the adjustable mattress underneath them to a rocklike stiffness. Basically, the adjustable mattress is now a very stiff foundation, and the $180 worth of "memory foam" pads are the mattress.
 Now I have the most comfortable bed I've ever enjoyed. If only I'd known, I would have dispensed with the adjustable mattress altogether and just laid viscoelastic foam pads on the bed slats....and saved myself a thousand bucks!

Andy Baird :-)
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 19177
Hi Dan and Kathie: We are currently in the process of "researching" different beds for our overhead bed. My husband is a big guy (6'2" 275 lbs)so lifespan of the bed material is very important to us. I have researched high density foam, inner spring mattresses and yesterday, tested some futons. Of course, here in San Diego there are plenty of futon stores. There must have been 10 or more different "builds" of futons.
Some with foam, cotton batting combos. Some with more foam and synthetic batting. Some that were a combination of memory foam AND eggcrate. The salesperson said that many RVers use that particular model because it is so lightweight. The price? For a queen size, there were several very comfortable models for less than $200.00.
There was one wonderful model that had inner springs that was $187.00. We are very particular about our backs as we are both quite tall and have lower back pain. I think we have pretty decided that we will be going in that direction, both for the price and the sheer comfort.
Good Luck! Denise Shook

Hard mattress
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 19180
Denise, what store did you go to for the model you chose - how do you fold it up when the bed is not laid out - does it fit accurately

[Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Hard mattress
Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 19263
Hello Sonia:

WE don't fold it up anyway, so a futon that is a queen size (60" x 80") fits perfectly. We do have the two old original cushions up there still and they are each 30" x 80" so that you can put one on top of the other and push back the portion underneath for more headroom

Re: Hard mattress-A question
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 19271
How many of you never fold the centerpiece of the overhead bunk up? Our old LD's bunk did not have this feature so we got use to leaving the bed permanently set up. It is not a problem for us to bend over a bit getting in and out of the cab seats.
I like having the bed ready at a moments notice for a quick nap.
Working at night for years has made me appreciate the value of the 'power nap'.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 19275
Larry,
 We always fold the bed, even when we are camped (unless it is so cold that we have the blanket isolating the forward cab).
 It makes the LD seem more spacious to us to have it folded.  We just throw the ladder up on the bed on the back side.  We keep the LD sleep sack unattached at the driver's side corner near the TV, so the sack will fold up with the bed section.  Pillows rema

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 19277
How many of you never fold the centerpiece of the overhead bunk
up?

I agree with Barry that the coach feels larger with the bed folded up.  However, we have kids, and they love to play up there, so for us the bed is always folded down (and the ladder is in place.)

Laurie
Laurie - 2018 RB

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 19279
How many of you never fold the centerpiece of the overhead bunk up? Our old LD's bunk did not have this feature so we got use to leaving the bed permanently set up. It is not a problem for us to bend over a bit getting in and out of the cab seats.

Larry
Larry,
 Once we bought that comfy comforter-thing from the LD factory store, we leave the bed made, and no longer fold the bunk up. We thought it might be claustrophic while driving, but it isn't.

Cindy
Cindy Beck
2004 MB Blue/White, Honda CRV
Corona, CA

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 19286

Larry
I always leave the bed in place because I use a mattress topper.  The big catalog from J. C. Penney Company has mattress toppers.  They come in all standard bed sizes.  I did not feel comfortable with the mattress that was already there.  So after buying one of these for the RV I also got one for the bed at home.

During the day I use the bed for storage of small items that can be easily moved for a quick nap.

They come in different thickness and different desitities and different sizes.  They work well for me.

It is easy to use mattress covers and regular bedding with the toppers.

Jimmy

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 19288
How many of you never fold the centerpiece of the overhead bunk up?
Larry,

Mine stays folded while traveling and unfolded while in camp.  Just whacked my head one too many times (I'm 6'1") navigating in and out of the drivers seat.  On the flip side, I appreciate Barry's comment on the added spaciousness of leaving it folded but my head says otherwise.

As for naps, the sofa is my spot of choice ...

... Wayne

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 19289
Larry, We always fold it back when not in use to open up the coach area making it appear larger and make getting into the cab easier for me since I'm 6'2". Using the bag bedding makes doing this quick so leaving it set-up all the time doesn't save much time if you want to use it anyway. We also have the 2 rear sofas to take naps on if we want to anyway and they're easier to get in and out of than the cabover.

Mike

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 19310
Larry, We don't fold the centerpiece too, even when were travelling. My eldest claimed it as her spot so all her junk/stuffs in there.
Incidentally, I just finished installing my H2O filter, even with the "T" connection its a pain to look for that reverse reducer to attach to the hoses. My advise to folks  who'll get this connection specify the fitting size ie. 3/8" outlet for my case(i have nature pure filter).
2003 Mid Bath

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 19311
Tiagre,

Can you tell me what size T-connection Lazy Daze installed for you? By "reverse reducer", I take it that you are talking about some type of adapter to reduce the thread from whatever size it was to 3/8"?
 I may need to contact LD as per your suggestion to make sure they put on the right size connection to fit whatever type filter I get (most likely will also be a Nature Pure).

thanks,

Mike

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 19313
tiagre(Edd)

It is difficult to fold up our bed since we have an Thermolux foam pad, from CW, under our bedding. The bunk mattress is much too firm for my taste. It hurts to sleeps on it. Maybe I should gain some weight to cushion myself. On the other hand, my wife loves the mattress the way it is. It is so hard to maintain marital bliss.
 The tee for the Nature Pure water filter is the hardest thing I have installed on our LD. It does not seem to be the proper part for the
Larry

Re: Nature Pure or other filter "T"
Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 19323
Larry, If you are using the "T" that came with the Nature Pure here is a trick to get it in and sealed properly. You'll need some of the crimp rings and a crimper for them and a heat gun or hair dryer. Put the rings on the Pex and then heat the Pex tubing with a heat gun or hair dryer to soften it so the barded plastic "T" will fit in more easily and snuggly as far as it can go. Then slide the crimp rings over to the ends of the PEX over the barded part of the "T" and crimp them.
 I don't know what type "T" LD is installing as an option but the Pex tubing is 5/8" O.D. and in that size there is no standard plumbing "T" that will give the 3/8" threaded end needed for most water filters. I didn't use the plastic "T" General Ecology now provides with my Nature Pure installation and used a 5/8" to 3/8" reducer and then a standard 3/8" "T" to install mine. At the time I got mine LD didn't offer the "T" option and using the reducer and standard 3/8" "T" was the easiest way to do the job. I have since found that Home Depot now has a 5/8" O.D. compression type cut-off valve with dual 3/8" outlets that I would have used had they had them when I did mine. I used short reinforced hoses with 3/8" to 5/8" faucet connectors to the pullout faucet I also added when I installed mine (not standard the type in 2001) so that would have been a better way to go.

Mike

Re: Nature Pure or other filter "T"
Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 19330
Mike
 A hair dryer did not provide enough heat to soften the PEX . I ended up gently 'cooking' it with a heat gun. Lets say I was not real happy doing this. It is away too easy to screw this up. Add this to the fact that the waterline is in the most inaccessible part of the cabinet. The way it worked was that I could either see the fitting and not be able to get both hands on it or to twist so I was able to work on it without seeing. If I had it to do again, I would cut a new access hatch through the rear of the cabinet.
I used double aircraft style clamps on each side of the tee to seat the tubing. I need to buy a crimper. I already have sooooo much money wrapped up in tools that my wife is about ready to divorce me so she can sell them and take a-around-the-world-trip.

Larry
Larry