Skip to main content
Topic: catalytic heater and ventilation (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
catalytic heater and ventilation
Yahoo Message Number: 19102
I have a 22ft LD and the previous owner added a catalytic heater - how much do I have to open a window or vent to provide proper ventilation?  Is it better to use the catalytic heater or the LD furnace?  I've got a little 11 month old traveling with me and we want to be very safe.  Thanks for your advice.

Re: catalytic heater and ventilation
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 19104
I have a 22ft LD and the previous owner added a catalytic heater - how much do I have to open a window or vent to provide proper ventilation?  Is it better to use the catalytic heater or the LD furnace?  I've got a little 11 month old traveling with me and we want to be very safe.  Thanks for your advice.
A properly functioning catalytic heater produces very little carbon monoxide.  The main combustion products are carbon dioxide and water vapor.  It's a good idea to open a vent about an inch to allow the water vapor and CO2 to vent.  Cracking a window a little might be a good idea.  A small cat heater can't heat up the coach the way the furnace can, but it is much more efficient at converting propane into heat and uses no electricity.  The cat heater is mostly a radiant heat source, best for keeping nearby people warm after the rig has been warmed up.  If the cat heater has seen a lot of use, and with a small child, you should consider having a CO alarm.  If it is an Olympian heater, I know that the catalytic pads can be replaced (though expensive because of the platinum).

Hope this helps, Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 19108
-

A properly functioning catalytic heater produces very little carbon monoxide.  The main combustion products are carbon dioxide and water vapor.  It's a good idea to open a vent about an inch to allow the water vapor and CO2 to vent.  Cracking a window a little might be a good idea.
Another reason for providing for proper ventilation is the fact that the heater consumes oxygen. I would say that cracking a window or vent is a requirement rather than a recomendation.

Norm

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 19110
I had an Olympian (the small one)in my '93 LD.  I worked the numbers of the manufacturer's recommended window opening and it was the equivalent of 1/8" opening of the kitchen window.  Not much!  In thinking that over, I realized that with the stove vent, the window weep openings, and the swamp cooler opening, I had more than enough ventilation without opening any windows or roof vents. Several years of using it in this manner and overnight proved to be correct.  No problems with CO or lack of oxygen.  Now there was a considerable amount of water vapor condensed on the cold windows in the morning! And the small Olympian is more than enough heat for LD use, at least for 23' models.
Steve T

Another reason for providing for proper ventilation is the fact that the heater consumes oxygen. I would say that cracking a window or vent

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 19120
To add to the other posts, the furnace doesn't cause condensation (and may clear up that from normal breathing) because the combustion intake and exhaust is outside. Lots of ventilation will help the problem with a CAT in humid conditions. We keep a protected rear roof vent open in all weather, and crack the cabover side windows as appropriate for the weather. We also do not run the CAT overnite while sleeping, to be safe - should some problem were to occur.

Our Olympian still provides 95% of our heating needs after 6 years, and still no 'smell' - the presage of a failing pad. Even with the temps inside in the 50's, you immediately feel the radiant heat from the cat when first started in the morning, and you will be comfortable as long as it is pointed at you. For this reason, ours is on a rubber hose umbilical and legs that allow flexible positioning.
In the evening, with lites off watching a movie or the stars, the gentle glow is our 'fireplace'. And it is noiseless - quite unlike the furnace.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 19123
A warning here.  Several years ago an individual had a portable heater with a flexible hose attached to a small tank inside the rig.  A small leak occurred at the hose connection to the tank that went unnoticed until it flamed.  Somehow he got the whole aparatus outside without injury  to anyone.  But the potential is horrorific.  Watch those flexible hose connections! Steve T

For this reason, ours is on a rubber hose umbilical and legs that allow flexible
positioning.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 19130
A warning here.  Several years ago an individual had a portable heater with a flexible hose attached to a small tank inside the rig.  A small leak occurred at the hose connection to the tank that went unnoticed until it flamed.  Somehow he got the whole aparatus outside without injury  to anyone.  But the potential is horrorific.  Watch those flexible hose connections! Steve T
Ours is hard plumbed into the coach LP plumbing (0.6 psi) with a shutoff valve. Details available in the photos section under 'catalytic heater' of:
 http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/LD_Enhancements/

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 19132
The manual for my Olympian Catalytic heater -- which covers the 3000, 6000, and 8000 BTU/hr models -- says: =============== AIR SUPPLY The heater consumes air from the room in which it is installed.
To assure complete combustion, an adequate fresh-air supply to the room is necessary.  it is good practice to have a least two openings, one high and one low.  The room must have a total of at least 24 sq. in. free-air opening.  Provide additional ventilation of at least 2 sq in for every 1000 BTU's per hour of input for any additional fuel burning appliances used at the same time.

FOR RV USE (Free open-air space: 24 sq. in. min) --an illustration shows a travel trailer with open roof vent and side window, labelled as follows--

Vent: Open 14" x 14" roof vent 1/4" to 1/2" Window: Open 8" window 1/4" to 1/2" at opposite end, as low as possible.
================ In my 2000 RK model, I crack the kitchen window 1/4" and open the vent in the cabover 1/4" and get plenty of ventilation.

Note that the requirement for extra air wouldn't apply to the propane furnace, since it gets its combustion air from outdoors.
But it does apply to the oven or burners.  I always open the roof vent in the kitchen whenever I use the range.

I hope this helps  /noel/