Skip to main content
Topic: Oil Change (Read 29 times) previous topic - next topic
Oil Change
Yahoo Message Number: 50268
What is the best oil to use with the V10 motor? I have a 1997 26ft RB that I purchased last year.  This is my second used Lazy Daze.
Before I always used 10/30 weight oil.  I took it down to the Ford garage and they put in synethic-blend 5/20 weight.  I was very skeptical because I was used to using 10/30 always.  I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on this matter.
Jim and Mona Moore 26 ft. RB

Re: Oil Change
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 50275
Jim and Mona,
 The 2001 V10 manual recommends the 5/20 w.  There was some discussion of this earlier, and it appeared that the lighter weight oil was to improve mpg.
 Mabye some more knowledgeable member  else can comment on the 1997 V10.

Barry 01 r rb tx

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 50276
What is the best oil to use with the V10 motor? I have a 1997 26ft RB that I purchased last year.  This is my second used Lazy Daze.
Before I always used 10/30 weight oil.  I took it down to the Ford garage and they put in synethic-blend 5/20 weight.  I was very skeptical because I was used to using 10/30 always.  I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on this matter.
Jim and Mona Moore 26 ft. RB
The 1997 specified 5W-30 - about 2000 with improved horsepower it was changed to 5W-20.  You wil read here and in other forums from the real experts that you can use some other weight of oil, but the people who made the engine say the tolerances call for 5W-30 and I believe them.

Gus Weber

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 50277
I do my own oil changes on our 2002 MB.
For about the first year I used Amsoil synthethic 5W20.  I currently use Mobil 1 5W30 (available at my local Costco).  5W30 is fine according to the owners manual.  For filters I use Napa Gold (mfg'd by Wix).  I shoot for changing every 3,000 miles (we are usually towing).

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Oil Change
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 56542
Chad's Auto in Dickinson, ND recently changed our oil and filter for us.  He also did a complete check of hoses, belts, fluid levels, etc.
All for $42.

Cat's Meow Bismarck, ND
Ross Taylor
2017 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 56804
Ross,

You might want to add your recommendation to the 'Maintenance/Installation Facilities' data base.

Barry 01 r rb tx at

Oil Change
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 58461
The last time I went to Jiffy Lube, they wanted $100 for an oil change, saying that "everyone" charges that much.  In the past, at the same location, the charge was far less.  Where can I go to get a reasonable oil change in the San Diego/North County area?  Thanks.

Re: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Oil Change
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 58472
I'll ask my husband where he got ours done, if you want to come up to the Temecula area.

Bill Oxley wrote:

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 58479
Group - I am just about due for the first oil change on our 2005 23.5 fd and we are located in south San Diego county(Chula Vista).
I would appreciate any advice on a good place to go for oil change service.
A place you have used and feel comfortable with because I would like to avoid the sliced inside of the tire problems reported by the group.
Thanks, Jed

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 58480
We always called Ford Motor Home help 800 number.  They record your mileage.  I always felt this might help in any warranty issue.  Look in your owner's manual for the number.

best,  paul

I am just about due for the first oil change on our 2005 23.5 fd and
we are

located in south San Diego county(Chula Vista).
I would appreciate any advice on a good place to go for oil change
service.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 58481
Group - I am just about due for the first oil change on our 2005 23.5 fd
and we are

located in south San Diego county(Chula Vista).
I would appreciate any advice on a good place to go for oil change
service.

A place you have used and feel comfortable with because I would
like to

avoid the sliced inside of the tire problems reported by the group.
Thanks, Jed
Oh, I dunno, I've always felt comfy in my driveway. 'Course if there's a big shade tree out back . . .

Seriously, an oil change is relatively simple owner maintenance.
Most all the oil change places, at least in NV where I live, will take the old oil for free. Even Kragen auto parts does this.

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 58494
The last time I went to Jiffy Lube, they wanted $100 for an oil change, saying that "everyone" charges that much.  In the past, at the same location, the charge was far less.  Where can I go to get a reasonable oil change in the San Diego/North County area?  Thanks.
Hi Bill,

While I can't recommend a specific location in your area for an oil change, I would think most Ford Dealers would be able to handle that job for far less than $100. I'm one of those do-it-yourself guys most of the time, and in my opinion, a charge of $100 to change the oil in one of these rigs is highway robbery.
 We recently returned from a long trip during which I needed to change the oil twice. I can't believe how difficult it can be to find a place to do it for you while on the road without getting robbed like your Jiffy Lube location is trying to do. I visited one quick lube place in Montana that said their door wasn't high enough but one of their other locations could accomodate me; after driving across town that location tried to tell me it was 50% more because it was a motorhome. That logic doesn't work for me. I ended up doing it my self again.

That brings up another topic regarding the challenge of finding a place to do (Ford)repairs while you are on the road; I may post about that challenge if there is any interest. I can tell you it ain't easy in remote locations!
 Steve K. (I can now tell you what a bad "carrier" bearing sounds like and what it can mean if smoke is coming out of your rear wheel housing, grrrrrr)
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 58506

I have taken my LD to Kearney Mesa Ford for oil changes. The RV/truck service manager is named Tony Beckum and he likes Lazy Daze.
Nevertheless, he does charge their full price for an oil change, which in July '04 was about $50.  KM Ford does mail out discount coupons from time to time ($10.00 off) For RV/truck work you need to make an appointment.  Twice I've made an appointment for first thing in the morning and brought the LD in late the previous afternoon intending to leave it overnight. Two times they finished it that afternoon.  I think that they do the oil change/lube job by jacking up the front end in the parking lot so they do not have to wait to put it up on a hydrolic lift rack.
 We have found that in other parts of the country that the labor rates are not as high as in Southern California. At Ford dealers in Marietta GA and Salt Lake City Utah, we paid $25 and $31 respectively.
With the oil change, they do a multipoint check.  If you have weighed the your LD and set your tire pressure accordingly be sure to tell them not to change your tire pressure.

Regarding the $100.00 price at a Quick Lube, we have found them to sometimes to be negotiable.  Sometimes an underling may have been told that all motorhomes are $100.00.  Ask to speak to the manager.
Show him a picture of the front of a standard full size Ford van and ask him how much for that.  Then show him a picture of the front of a Lazy Daze, which has the same hood (and engine compartment) and ask him how much for an LD.  Maybe they are just trying that $100 price to see if someone will pay.  Maybe their thinking is that if you have an RV you can afford to pay it.  It seems like that is the way some items for boats are priced.

The nearby RV Dealer, La Mesa RV, used to charge $100 for an oil change (maybe more now) but they also washed the entire RV and put that black stuff (?Armour All ?) on the tires.  Maybe not such a terrible deal for a big class A, which is what you mostly see there.

Ken of Ken, Patty and daughter Stephanie in San Diego

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 58514
Just to add a little data to this.  Last summer we rented and SOB also on a Ford E450 chassis.  I had the oil changed at Jiffy Lube

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 58515
wrote: Last summer we rented and SOB also on a Ford E450 chassis.  I had the oil changed at Jiffy Lube in Cody, WY.  They charged $24.  I was shocked that the oil needed is only 4 or 5 qts.
_____
 I'm a little "shocked", too; "4 or 5 quarts" of oil for an oil change on an E-450 is 1 or 2 quarts short of the E-450's capacity of *6* quarts.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 58521
Just to add a little data to this.
And to add one teeny bit more (g).

The recommended oil for the Ford V10 in 5W-20 weight. Wonder if the quick change places carry this weight or in a synthetic like Mobil-1?

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 58543
Changing my oil cost about $35 for Mobil 1 and a Purolator 'Pure One" filters (one of the best and not expensive). It takes less than a half hour, including lubing the grease fittings. The E-450 is the easiest vehicle to change that I have ever owned. Everything is out in the open and there is no need to jack it up to access the pan and filter.
If you have any inclination to the do the job yourself, this is the vehicle to do it on.

Larry

Fingernails always dirty
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Oil Change
Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 58548
Larry - I am not afraid to get a little oil on my hands but I want to make sure I keep the records that I need to satisfy the factory warranty requirements.
Does anyone know what I need? Will keeping the receipts for the oil and filter and having the the miles and date be enough if I have an engine failure during the warranty period? Jed (wishing I was still digging for oil in the back yard)
 Date: Sep 30, 2005 12:18 PM
 Subject: [Life With A Lazy Daze RV] Re: Oil Change
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com

Changing my oil cost about $35 for Mobil 1 and a Purolator 'Pure One" filters (one of the best and not expensive). It takes less than a half hour, including lubing the grease fittings. The E-450 is the easiest vehicle to change that I have ever owned. Everything is out in the open and there is no need to jack it up to access the pan and filter.
If you have any inclination to the do the job yourself, this is the vehicle to do it on.

Larry Fingernails always dirty

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 58566

Larry Fingernails always dirty
Hi Larry,

I'm curious to learn if you change you rig's oil while you are travelling or only at home? What mileage interval are you following for your oil changes? I seem to remember that your place of employment has many Ford V-10's in service, are they using synthetic oil too? Have you seen an increase in MPG using synthetic?
 I'm glad to learn you and your LD have survived another close call with fire; photos of the area sure looked nasty.

Steve K. (thinking I prefer snow to fire and hurricanes)
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 58567
--- In lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com, "Larry"

Hi Larry,

I'm curious to learn if you change you rig's oil while you are travelling or only at home? Steve K. (thinking I prefer snow to fire and hurricanes)
I like the idea of changing oil while traveling. A remote release cable for a "quick-drain" oil valve. A black streak down the pavement, watching in the rear-view cam while the cars behind you do pretty pirouettes on the impromtu skid-pan. What fun!

bumper "Yonder" Minden, NV
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 58568
I like the idea of changing oil while traveling. A remote release cable for a "quick-drain" oil valve. A black streak down the
pavement,

watching in the rear-view cam while the cars behind you do pretty pirouettes on the impromtu skid-pan. What fun!

bumper "Yonder" Minden, NV
Bump, you are too much! If you were to do that, you would need to have an automatic oil filler too, wouldn't you? But then again, maybe a guy like you could rig up the Pro-fil battery watering device so you could just squeeze the rubber ball to fill you oil while you oil down the highway. Bet you are old enough to remember when they used to spray old oil on the gravel roads to keep down the dust, aren't you?

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 58569
"A black streak down the pavement, watching in the rear-view cam while the cars behind you do pretty pirouettes on the impromtu skid-pan. What fun! bumper Yonder" Minden, NV"
 Is that how you keep the throngs away from your favorite camping spots? This gives new meaning to "crowd control". Hmmmm.

Karen

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 58570
"I'm curious to learn if you change you rig's oil while you are traveling or only at home? What mileage interval are you following for your oil changes? I seem to remember that your place of employment has many Ford V-10's in service, are they using synthetic oil too? Have you seen an increase in MPG using synthetic? "

Steve
 I normally change the oil at home but on the road changes are easily done with the right preparation.
 Fram makes an oil drain valve that screws into the oil pan drain hole.
When draining, an accessory hose is attached to the valve. The hose can be placed into the mouth of a one gallon jug (empty windshield washer fluid jugs are perfect). The valve turns on and off with a twist.  The filter can be unscrewed and dropped into a three pound coffee can. The new plastic cans are perfect for this. A small plastic tarp, placed under the engine, catches any drips and provides a cleaner surface for you to lie on.

See the link below for Fram's drain valve.
http://www.autobarn.net/frasdseries.html

Our LD is still under warranty so I follow the required change interval. When the warranty is up, I would have no problem extending the interval to 7500 miles or more if on a long trip.
We have tested synthetic oil on our large fleet at work. Using oil analysis, we found that synthetics are good for 10,000 miles and beyond. We still use petroleum oil (dyno oil) and stayed with 7500 mile change intervals because the only time most vehicles are inspected are when they come in for oil changes.
Oil testing also shows that petroleum oils hold up well, when changed at 7500 miles.
We use synthetic hydraulic oil in hot running equipment. Synthetics handle high temperatures much better than dyno oils.
 I started using Mobil 1 when we owned our 1983 LD. When purchased, it would use a quart of oil every 600-9000 miles, using petroleum oil.
When changed at 3000 miles, the oil was very thick.
Switching to synthetic decreased the consumption to one quart every 1500 miles and the oil did not thicken, even when the change interval was increased to 5000+ miles.
I run 10,000 mile oil changes(Mobil 1) in my 97 Dodge Dakota and at 95,000 miles it still uses next to no oil between changes.
 I'm not sure if synthetic is a real advantage in the V-10 but since I change it myself, the cost difference is not much. We are only driving the LD only about 8000 miles a year, so the oil is not change even twice a year. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I'm still employed so long trips are still a year or two away.  The LD 50th anniversary gathering has delayed our return to Alaska to the summer of 2007.
 I have not seen any mileage increases with synthetic engine oil but my sampling has been limited.
As a note, I did pick up almost one mile per gallon, on my Jeep, by changing the front and rear differential oil to synthetic.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)