Skip to main content
Topic: Dodge 440 ci (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
Dodge 440 ci
Yahoo Message Number: 25
Does anyone know when LD quit using the Dodge Chasis and why? I like the 440 better than the Chev 350 but most of the 80's rigs seem to have the 350.

Also does anyone about floor plans? Are the 26 and 26.5 pretty much the same and the same for the 22 and 23.5 footers?

I am interested in that rear twin/king set up because of the large windows on both sides and the rear. Lots of light and view space.

Someone earler mentioned 4 wheel drive. Except for snow and ice, I think 4X4 is a waste of money. 14,000 Lbs is just to much to go off road with. Get something like a Samari for a towd and boondock to your hearts content without worrying about bashing your MH.

I

have been looking for a used 26 or 26.5 for about 4 months and have not read anything negative about LD. I worry about how good a MH is when you see several almost new ones advertised for sale. For some reason the owners arn't happy and are getting out of them. I am thinking of the several newer Born Free listed on RV Trader.com

Sterling Bend, Oregon

Dodge 440 ci
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 26
I'm not sure when Lazy Daze stopped using the Dodge chassis, but I would guess around the late 70's/early 80's.

As far as floorplans, I don't know what the differences are for the 26' models, but the new 23.5' Twin/King model is virtually the same floorplan as my 1985 22' model, with the exception of the fridge and wardrobe locations being swapped. Not sure where that extra 1.5 foot is on the newer model.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Dodge 440 ci
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 27
...The extra 1.5 feet comes from changing chassis from Chevy to Ford. The front cab portion on the Ford is just shaped differently, which adds the extra length.
While the floor plans have the same basic idea from year to year, there are "umpteen" minor changes that add up to make major differences.
The changes are in placement of light fixtures, appliances, moving something 4 inches to add something else, changing the monitor panel and placement...all the 'little things' that customers recommend, they try it and implement it if it works. From the 1999 model to the 2000 model, there was somewhere between 15-25 minor modifications made on the 26.5 midbath that help contribute to customer comfort, ease of use, additional storage. For example, they moved the external power cord (used for hook-ups) from a position that was under the sink (taking up inside storage), and gave it it's own storage bin down behind the left rear tire...the new bin is also large enough for other supplies and there is now more room inside under the sink for stuff.
I am somewhat surprised not to see Dodge doing any RV chassis, with the success of their trucks. Chevy can't decide enough for manufacturers to make good decisions. The public would benefit if they jumped in, too. Dodge has a V10 to compete against Ford. While the Ford E450 Super Duty Chassis is good, they are starting to cut corners on trim items like door panels, visors, the shocks are junk, etc.
Another strong competitor or two would keep quality up, price down, supply adequate.

Dodge 440 ci
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 28
Don't know when LD stopped using the Dodge Chassis, I'm thinking probablly about the time they stopped building the 440 which would place it in the late 70's (I think!) You're right, there is no substitute for Cubic Inches and power.
Current LD floor plans are plans available on line at their Web Site, it's listed in the links area of this club. I not sure how they have changed over the years, but my 92 is still same. It may give you a few ideas about what's available new as well as previously owned.
I share your opinion concerning 4X4 homes. I tow a Geo Tracker. 4WD may be alright if you happen to be traveling and get caught in snow or ice. When the roads are too slick to travel with 2WD, it's time to set up for the night and try it again in the morning, after all, they are MOTOR HOMES.
Good luck in your quest, LD's are hard to find. I looked about 6 months. Keep us posted.
Don.