Skip to main content
Topic: Help me find the Ford 12v trailer line (Read 187 times) previous topic - next topic
Help me find the Ford 12v trailer line
I'm trying to find the 12v line that Ford (2003 MB) provides for providing 12v power to a toad or trailer.

I started here: 7pin trailer connector

and was able to find the 2 wire connections (black and brown) that contain the typical 4 way trailer connections and the extra 3 that make up 7.   On my mid-bath, those are located between the fuel tank and the gray water tank.   I can see and touch them, but they aren't easy to reach.

The 7 wires from those pigtails enter a wire loom and I traced that loom to the rear of the coach where only 4 wires emerge.  

My question is - before I go tearing into the neatly packaged and hard to reach wire loom, does anyone know where the 3 extra wires should end.   Do they go a few inches into the loom and ends (ie. look for them close to the black and brown pigtails) or do they extend some distance towards the rear of the coach (look for them closer to the bumper)?

Can anyone who has anyone found this 12v wire give me some tips?

Rich

2003 MB

Re: Help me find the Ford 12v trailer line
Reply #2
Rich-

I realize you know most of what's below. I'm providing a fuller explanation for anyone coming along later.

There are two Ford connectors at the rear. LD used one (on your model year). The unused one contains the wire that you want.

Follow the wires forward from the bumper. They will follow the inside of the driver's-side chassis frame. Just in front of the grey water tank, and in back of the gas tank you'll find the two connectors. The one you want has three wires. LD should have installed the Ford-supplied pigtail in that connector.

Carefully unwrap the tape that's on the bumper-side of the connector. The pigtail should emerge. It will have about 8 to 12 inches of wire on that end. The trailer charge line is one of them (I'll have to look up the color code). Use a weather-resistant butt splice connector to attach your 10 or 12 AWG charge line extension wire to the pigtail. If you plan to use the other wire(s) in that connector, extend them at the same time. Then, apply new tape to the pigtail and tuck it back up in its cubby, where you found it.

Note: Before you attach to any wire remove it's fuse first. that way you ensure you won't accidentally short out the wiring upstream of the connector.

I replaced the LD's 4-pin connector with a 7-pin, and brought all 7 signals from those two connectors to the 7-pin hitch connector.

Note: If you can, avoid disconnecting the connector halves. The plastic will have become brittle, and there is a real chance you will break one or both halves. When I rewired I had purchased replacement pigtails and wired them to their extension cables in advance. Using new pigtails eliminated splicing under the coach. I was fairly confident I could separate the connectors without breaking them, and I did. It could've gone south, though.

Note: Starting with the 2004 model year chassis, Ford separated the chassis and trailer wires onto different connectors. I forget if it was (the original) two for the chassis and the new one for the trailer, or vice-versa. It's not too hard to look that up.

Mark H.
Former owner, 31-foot gas Class A
Former owner, 1997-8 mid-bath

Re: Help me find the Ford 12v trailer line
Reply #3
Rich,

For our ‘15 LD the Owners Manual has a line art image of the plug in question. Here it is as an attachment.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"