Skip to main content
Topic: Spare tire cover (Read 228 times) previous topic - next topic
Spare tire cover
 Hey everybody,
I was just wondering what if anything do y’all store under the spare tire cover.
I think I’ve read that the hinge is fairly weak, so I’m just wondering what can be put in there.
Thanks, Cal
2002 MidBath

Re: Spare tire cover
Reply #1
"I think I’ve read that the hinge is fairly weak,..."

Not so sure that the "hinge" is weak but that the cover itself is thin fiberglass and is not stiff, hence it has the tendency to droop.  ::) 
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
At the risk of sounding like a smart a#@ how’s about a “ Spare Tire “ ?
2005 T/K

Reply #3
Some LD models do, in fact, have a real spare tire under that cover. Some, like the MidBath models, do not.  You may want to read this discussion from a few years back:

Fake Spare Tire Cover Storage
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
The most common model, the 27’ midbath, was updated in 2000, the coach body moved back about 2.5 inches to let taller owners run the driver's seat all the way back. The spare had to be moved from under the rear "continental" tire cover to the rearmost passenger side outside storage bin.

The spare tire cover on that model is purely decorative so the MB looks like the rest of the Lazy Daze models.
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #5
Yeah, I'm glad my MB is the older model, since it's had a very useful spare tire under that cover for the past 15 years, and sometimes I've actually needed it!
Kristin
1997 MB

Reply #6

Later model Mid Baths store the spare tire in the driver’s side rear exterior compartment. This was done to provide more interior room. It also makes removing the spare tire a PIA.
The spare tire cover has very little storage in these models, it’s good for storing a hose or similar item.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
In our 99 MB, I stored my sewer hose in there. That way I could use a longer hose with the fittings left on. I haven't found the need to do that with our 2017 MB.

George & Jo Ann
George & Jo Ann
2017 MB

Reply #8
"I think I’ve read that the hinge is fairly weak,..."

Not so sure that the "hinge" is weak but that the cover itself is thin fiberglass and is not stiff, hence it has the tendency to droop.  ::)

Actually, ABS and pretty tough! For the midbath, with no tire studs, you might consider building storage inside - hidden but not out of the elements. Our FL has the spare there, and I use the hollow of the wheel to store 1lb propane cylinders.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #9
Thanks, everyone! I believe I’ll put an extra sewer hose back there.  happy trails,
Cal.
2002 MidBath

Reply #10
Later model Mid Baths store the spare tire in the driver’s side rear exterior compartment.

Larry

My 2013 Mid Bath has had the spare in the passenger’s side rear exterior compartment from the factory.
2013 27’ Mid-Bath
2005 Honda CR-V

Reply #11

FYI. From the LD Pocket Guide

Midbath
models had the coach body moved back about 2.5 inches to let taller owners run the driver's seat all the way back. The spare had to be moved from under the rear "continental" tire cover to the rearmost passenger side outside storage bin. This change occurred at the end of 1999.”

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze