Skip to main content
Topic: New Solar installation plan for MidBath (Read 157 times) previous topic - next topic
New Solar installation plan for MidBath

Just me thinking about a plan for an upgrade of solar on a newer midbath. (In case I were to slide a newer, MidBath into BlueBelle's footprint.   (Inspired by T&F 's installation. )
    1) Inverter, True Sine Wave 3kw, 120 A charger for the battery bank from the generator or shore power. Amazon.com: Victron Energy MultiPlus-II Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger for...    About $1100
    2) Renogy 12v (nominal) solar panels. 8 at $79 about $650   Perc technology, monocrystalline, 22% efficient
    3)  Victron MPPT PV solar controller   Amazon.com: Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT Tr VE.Can 150V 85 amp 12/24/36/48-...  About $550  (room for expansion of more panels with 85 Amp capacity)
    4) SOK batteries, Metal case 206:   Amazon.com: SOK Battery 12V 206Ah Heated LiFePO4 Metal Box SK12V206H :...    UL approved, Blue tooth, internal heater.   About $1950  
    5) Victron VX display, monitor:  Amazon.com: Victron Energy Ekrano GX with Built-in Display for System...   About $575, needs shunt:  Amazon.com: Victron Energy SmartShunt Battery Monitor (Bluetooth) - Victron...  About $100
    6) Wire, conduit, boxes, terminations, fuses (fast acting and  circuit breakers), switches, crimper, clamps, cutters, aluminum Unistrut, clamps, misc. sealants, SS screws, insulation, wire ties, etc.   About $1000.
    7) Charger for chassis battery from LiF battery array: Amazon.com : HUINE 20A 12V 24V Auto IP68 Waterproof PWM Solar Charge...       about $22.  (works great for me).  The box is intended for solar panel input, to charge a 12v. lead acid battery, but can be 'fooled' to think that your Lithium battery(s) are a solar panel. It will charge and keep your chassis battery topped off, even if you have up to 20A of load on the chassis battery. Car radio, CB radio, tire pressure monitor, GPS, and Ford powerpoint  dash socket, etc.
    8:)   A Victron 12v 30A isolated DC to DC converter for engine alternator  input to the batteries  Amazon.com: Victron Energy Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-Volt 30 amp 360-Watt DC-DC... About $250. Not much load on the engine alternator.  Ford new V8 with larger alternator, you could use a much higher rated charger.
    A Total of about $6500. (plus whatever labor is involved) Maybe about 200 'ish hours for DIY. Paying for that same system would be up in the $20k. (faster but maybe not better installation).
               RonB  

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Re: New Solar installation plan for MidBath
Reply #1
Ron,

Planning ahead is a good idea. Prior to my Solar upgrade at AM Solar, I had penciled in several options that might work for my RB. Of course, AM Solar was vital in helping me decide on the final direction of the installation.

Below is my optional installation plan along with the final breakdown of the work done. Looking at AM’s labor cost at $130 per hour back in 2020, your estimated $200 an hour labor charge seems fairly likely.  The entire installation took the better part of five days. Plenty of time to see the sights.

We have been very pleased with our 800 + watts on the roof. Still haven’t put the suitcase panels to work yet. May never have to.

Kent

2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Re: New Solar installation plan for MidBath
Reply #2
Hi Kent; Great to see those prices for panels and batteries!  Prices have gone down enough, to almost make up for the labor costs.  If you do it yourself, (takes even more time, because you (me) aren't a pro doing it daily with a lot of practice.  For the room I had (short floorplan) and low weight capacity of the E350, I got all that I wanted except being able to run the roof A/C. But I can use the generator for that, using gas from BlueBelle's small 36 gallon tank.  My total cost for 400 AH of battery, 450 watts of Solar, and 2k watts of TSW inverter was less than $4000. That's parts only. (I didn't count the Bluesky controller)    I didn't lose any inside or outside storage either.  Lots of hours, some leftover tools (crimper) and parts, wire, terminals, etc.  Very educational also...  The Victron brand parts are emerging as generally favorable parts for this larger scale upgrade.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB