Skip to main content
Topic: Awning share idea (split from Re: Hello Everyone!) (Read 50 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Hello Everyone!
Awning share idea (split from Re: Hello Everyone!)
Saw something pretty interesting on a LD Facebook group. Kinda cool idea, what do y’all think?
1999 MB, 7.3L PowerStroke

Re: Awning share idea (split from Re: Hello Everyone!)
Reply #1
I understand the concept but it blocks the view from windows 🙁
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #2
According to the poster, he said he could raise the other end of the canvas to have a more awning like position but that in the presented position it prevented a fair amount of heat conduction on the driver's side of the coach. On our first trip the driver's side of the coach was so hot that the water in the cold shower line came out at a temp that made me think that our plumbing was reversed  :-[  :-[  it took 5 minutes to get cool water running through the line.

Reply #3
"Saw something pretty interesting.....  Kinda cool idea, what do y’all think?"

I have to agree with my daughter, Lazy Bones 2, it certainly impedes the view! However, there's an option. Instead of an opaque tarp you could use what is known as 'shade cloth', found in any home & garden store. Nurseries use it to shade tender plants.

We have one that can be used by hanging it from the outer edge of the awning while deployed!   ;D   ;) 
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
I made the awning shade for my LD MB years ago in Mexico.  It slides in the awning notch perfectly and goes almost all the way to the ground to be held with tent stakes.  In the HOT sun, we had fourteen seated people under there for Happy Hour!  Three sat in my hammock on its stand under the shade.  In fact my electric sewing machine worked perfectly on the huge section of mesh cloth while living only with solar, and using a small inverter.  What a six year life that was on the beach of the Sea of Cortez in the sun!
Kristin
1997 MB

Reply #5
I made the awning shade for my LD MB years ago in Mexico.  It slides in the awning notch perfectly and goes almost all the way to the ground to be held with tent stakes.  In the HOT sun, we had fourteen seated people under there for Happy Hour!  Three sat in my hammock on its stand under the shade.  In fact my electric sewing machine worked perfectly on the huge section of mesh cloth while living only with solar, and using a small inverter.  What a six year life that was on the beach of the Sea of Cortez in the sun!
Kristin

Pictures please!!

Reply #6
According to the poster, he said he could raise the other end of the canvas to have a more awning like position but that in the presented position it prevented a fair amount of heat conduction on the driver's side of the coach. On our first trip the driver's side of the coach was so hot that the water in the cold shower line came out at a temp that made me think that our plumbing was reversed  :-[  :-[  it took 5 minutes to get cool water running through the line.
In our LD that is the kitchen window, we don't look out it all that often. Pretty simple if I had that, when I want to block the sun it is down, when I don't want to block the sun it could go up or not be installed.  I had thought that if I ever got a new awning I would repurposed the old one for the drivers side.
Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #7
"...we had fourteen seated people under there for Happy Hour!"

On a 26', that's amazing, given that your awning is far shorter than the 20' awning of my 30' LD! Wonder how many I could crowd under there?  ::)

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!