Skip to main content
Topic: Installing new vent fans (split from Re: Hello Everyone!) (Read 336 times) previous topic - next topic
Installing new vent fans (split from Re: Hello Everyone!)
First trip is in the books!! Went pretty well. The AC fought a losing battle against the 102 degree heat and zero shade cover in Temecula. City water with a regulator set at 30 worked well. Only thing needing trouble shooting it low pressure on the hot water side of the system. Hi ho hi ho to the search function I go.

Lost the cover on the plain vent between the AC and rear vent fan. Have 3 new vent fans purchased and ready to be installed. Will I run into any issues pulling 12v power from the light fixture above the closet? Anyone done this?
1999 MB, 7.3L PowerStroke

Re: Installing new vent fans (split from Re: Hello Everyone!)
Reply #1
Pulling power from a light fixture, via surface mount molding, is a fine way to access power for a fan.
Be sure not to overload the circuit(s) you are tapping into.
Changing from old incandescent light bulbs to LEDs will free up more power for the fans.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
I just installed my third Sirocco II Fan a couple months ago, was easy tapping into the light in the cabover.

Dave

2017 TK

Reply #3
"Lost the cover on the plain vent between the AC and rear vent fan."

Yup, had that happen before I installed all 5 MaxxAir fan assemblies!

Looking at the photo of your campsite it appears well guarded by that handsome dog, What's his name?

You could use updated rear view mirrors in lieu of those spots that were added! Simple (but not cheap) exchange of the entire head!  ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
"Lost the cover on the plain vent between the AC and rear vent fan."

Yup, had that happen before I installed all 5 MaxxAir fan assemblies!

Looking at the photo of your campsite it appears well guarded by that handsome dog, What's his name?

You could use updated rear view mirrors in lieu of those spots that were added! Simple (but not cheap) exchange of the entire head!  ;)

Hey Lazy Bones,

That's Sheila. She definitely keeps an ear out for any and everything lol. She's a good girl.

I have a line on a newer pair of rear view mirror from a coach that caught fire. The heads are a bit scored but the arms are more functional than mine (they get pushed in by the wind making right lane changes a two man operation with the wife this weekend 😳. I drove in the slow lane.). Gonna swap over the other arms with my mirror heads on them and maybe get some spots to stick on mine.

I have 3 fan assemblies that are MaxxAir knock offs I found on Amazon (link below). Also gonna pony up the dough and get a new shower skylight from Todd. My escape hatch lid seems to be in fairly good shape but I will probably buy a spare in the next few months. Then sometime in the next month or so I'll be doing a whole roof refresh. Little hard to see but here's what my roof seams looks like. I think I'll have to scrape off the old seam sealant. Is my hunch correct?

hurrventer Build-in Rain Shield RV Roof Fan Vent Trailer Camper 3 speed 12V 14'' Reversible Manual Open with Tail Amazon.com: hurrventer Build-in Rain Shield RV Roof Fan Vent Trailer Camper...
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #5
Pulling power from a light fixture, via surface mount molding, is a fine way to access power for a fan.
Be sure not to overload the circuit(s) you are tapping into.
Changing from old incandescent light bulbs to LEDs will free up more power for the fans.

Larry

Larry,

The fixture already has an LED bulb.Should I put and inline fuse on the power side just in case? What amperage would you recommend?

-Will

Reply #6

Looking at the fan in the link, I was surprised to see the vents ventilate with the lid down, thanks to the open vents in the cover.
When it is very hot or cold outside, I want to seal the rig up as tightly as possible, such as when fighting a losing battle against the 102-degree heat and zero shade cover in Temecula. BTDT. 
A vent cover with holes is not going to be of much help in more extreme temperatures or wind events.
Being able to open and run the fan(s) in the wind or rain is a benefit that can be better achieved with a vent cover on a Fantastic Fan or another conventional fan  Another choice is a MaxxFan Roof Vent with its built-in rain guard.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40433-Roof-Cover-White/dp/B000EDQQE2/ref=sr_1_9?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.b4vxs627Bnf6MepFQx_R7YzVkDvO7y2XXzGD_rxhDry9AZxEt8gNN-u9fFVPMLQ5cVoa3KORS5Uih5xeN7Zu8ZW8E5Ifzh3jfBILBqHsBZZxjhIgmBtwxlvtShPEe33vTHA6yMFeUY_Q4TNY0jezXGjKUSCKPYA8sM0ENiubetnn5r9nskBXBjG7Vzp6qVLgBse6BRQTiBK8d9FQFck349vArx3kcaVe3AjOCMNQpRBnxoh01F4VtpNKwSFlOlRyeQ46Xk-U3CB98_lMyEk5mx1hJDJzDE3eMi2gMX-2L7c.y6kCO1I4eSyriZ0vCkQv87FwNKkdXcvEDag3sfEsIcY&dib_tag=se&keywords=rv%2Bvent%2Bcovers&qid=1722902361&sr=8-9&th=1

The fans do not need additional fuses, they usually come with a built-in replaceable fuse.

lLarry

Larry

Reply #7
DTDT?

For that specific fan my thought process was, although not quite to the level of a MaxxAir fan it did come with a built in rain cover and a reversible fan motor as opposed to having to buy 2 pieces for a more $$. I plan to do a fair amount t of desert camping with my brother I. Law and sometimes the winds it there can get pretty knarly so being able to run the fan with high winds was what I was thinking about. Plus at 100.00 less than a MaxxAir I figured they were worth a shot.

Reply #8
"...although not quite to the level of a MaxxAir fan it did come with a built in rain cover..."

Can you drive with the vent open? In the rain? I do with the MaxxAir!  ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #9
Probably not or maybe with it cracked a little bit. But shouldn't be necessary since it has the capability to vent while closed, correct?

Reply #10
I think I read that you painted any exposed aluminum after scraping with the vibratory tool. What paint did you use?

Depends on the the application. Eternabond can be applied to clean and dry aluminum. If desired, you can use Eternabond Primer, useful on surfaces that do not clean up well.
Amazon.com: EternaBond EternaPrime Adhesive and Surface Conditioner Spray -...

When painting bare aluminum, ideally the surface should be sanded with medium grit sandpaper and then etched to clean and open up the surface for better adhesion.
For touching up paint on the roof, it is not visible and not being that picky. I clean it and give it a coat of flat white spray paint. The aluminum roof does not need to be painted for protection.
Whatever you do,do not paint the roof with a smooth. glossy paint that will be a slip hazard.

Larry

Larry

Reply #11
Hey everyone,

Which of these wires is the 12v (+). I think the ones in the large wire nut cap. Just want to be sure before I wire up the new fan I am installing.

Reply #12
The red should be the positive but it’s best to check. An inexpensive voltmeter is a basic tool every RV should have, perfect for tasks like this.

Larry
Larry

Reply #13
Which of these wires is the 12v (+). I think the ones in the large wire nut cap. Just want to be sure before I wire up the new fan I am installing.
Convention it should be that bundle with the large cap, but a wiring convention is just that, doesn’t mean someone didn’t follow it or made a mistake.   Confirm with a volt meter.
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #14
Larry,

Do you use lap sealant at all or just the 3M 5200? I have butyl tape for seating my new vent fans and was planning on running a bead of 3M 5200 around the edge and into the screw holes. I was thinking of covering the screw heads with dabs of 3M 5200 vs slathering on the s lap sealant. I even considered using these link below) with a some 5200 underneath and inside the snap cap. Do you think it would be a waste of time it WTH?

I usually glue new vents to the roof with polyurethane, butyl tape will work too.
Overcoating the vent’s flange with sealant will protect the plastic from UV damage.
Dicor is fine for this  and cheaper than 5200.

Larry
Larry

Reply #15
Thanks guys!

I have my voltmeter handy and will be checking now
 Just mocking up the new fan where the old vent would be.

Repairs to roof vents
Reply #16
Split off from 'DTBBack

Hey Larry,

Would it be okay to use a single spade connector for the ground (-) that connects to the light switch and then goes directly to the wire nut for the positive connection?
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Re: Repairs to roof vents
Reply #17
After some searching by Braille I was able to locate the both the positive (red and black) and negative (white) wire nuts that were next to the light above the closet. I drilled a 1/2" hole through the wood frame for the vent and fished my wires through to join the wire nuts. Will add more pictures tomorrow. Ran out of daylight.

Reply #18
It's just me, but I'd have a hemostat or other clamp on those wires to keep them from sneaking back into the nether regions.   ;)
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #19
Finished!! I decided to use the pop cap plastic washers in case I need to remove the fan if that ends up being the best position for a evaporative cooler.

Procedure:
1) scraped clean with plastic razor knife.
2) wiped clean with acetone and allowed drying.
3) applied butyl tape to the underside of the vent fan mounting flange.
4) Ran a bead along the edge of the vent flange with Dicor lap sealant and used my finger to push it against the flange.
5) covered the pop caps and ran the lap sealant out to the old sealant line.

Reply #20
Hi Will; Very nice photo's, Thanks for that link. That Hurrventer screens look like the Fantastic Vent fan screens. Atwood bought FFan, and now supplies a flatter pancake style motor with noisy brushes that 'squeal' when running. The older unit in my '99 has a taller ball bearing motor, and is very quiet.  With our T/K bed in the back, similar to your MidBath, we often let the fan run all night.  I've often wanted to operate it from the bed, so I might upgrade to the one with a wireless remote control.  (also good for shorter people).
   I like the idea that some ventilation remains with the lid down. It prevents  Carbon monoxide alarms while cooking, and window condensation in cold weather.  I have a vinyl snap on cover for extreme hot, or cold weather.  RonB

Reply #21
Hi Will; Very nice photo's, Thanks for that link. That Hurrventer screens look like the Fantastic Vent fan screens. Atwood bought FFan, and now supplies a flatter pancake style motor with noisy brushes that 'squeal' when running. The older unit in my '99 has a taller ball bearing motor, and is very quiet.  With our T/K bed in the back, similar to your MidBath, we often let the fan run all night.  I've often wanted to operate it from the bed, so I might upgrade to the one with a wireless remote control.  (also good for shorter people).
   I like the idea that some ventilation remains with the lid down. It prevents  Carbon monoxide alarms while cooking, and window condensation in cold weather.  I have a vinyl snap on cover for extreme hot, or cold weather.  RonB

Reply #22
Thanks Ron!!

On high the fans produce about as much noise as you'd expect but in the lower settings they are really quiet.

Also they are really energy efficient. My single, dirty, mothership installed solar panel didn't have any trouble keeping the coach batteries at 14V with it on high.

Also the vent cover looks black from the outside but on the inside it let's a ton of light through and looks blue. The blue headlight loving high school version of myself digs it quite a bit haha!!

Hurrventer does make a version with a remote, so that's a good option for you. My only complaint with this fan and others similar is the single lift arm that gives the lid a really janky action when opening/closing. It can't cost that much more to have 2 lifting arms. Other then that I am really pleased with them. And, even better than my approval is my wife's who said it turned out great!!!