Skip to main content
Topic: ISO pla-cool shroud. Broken one is okay. Has anyone replicated theirs? (Read 447 times) previous topic - next topic
ISO pla-cool shroud. Broken one is okay. Has anyone replicated theirs?
If you happen to be replacing your pla cool evaporative cooler I'm looking for the exterior shroud. Any condition is fine. It's okay if it's broken.
Has anyone been successful at duplicating their original cover/shroud in fiberglass or aluminum?
Thanks for reading
Shawn

Re: ISO pla-cool shroud. Broken one is okay. Has anyone replicated theirs?
Reply #1
Hi Shawn; I think that most people here never had the 'swamp' cooler. I did put one, a Rec-Air, on my previous 1978 motorhome. My '99 T/K Lazy Daze didn't come with that cooler, although I think some floor plans still did until 2002 or so.  Good luck on finding or making a cover.  After about 2000, most rigs came with a generator, and roof air. RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #3
Turbo cool replacement parts will not fit the pla-cool.
I used a Turbo cool to replace my pla-cool.  Roof real estate can be a problem with the old low profile AC units near by.
Previous members have molded new fiberglass plastic covers for the pla-cool using their old parts as patterns.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #4
@Karen & Liam has some parts.  I can make a mold if I get time.  We are both in the PWN.  The shape of the inner part of the shroud would be hard to replicate to disperse water with aluminum.  I found the pla-cool not very efficient and would switch to the TurboKool.  I am still waiting for a small 6000BTU AC to install back there to go with my alternator upgrade as I don't have time to camp down south anymore.
1997 TK

Reply #5
Rodney,

I rotated the Turbokool 90 degrees to fit between the AC unit and a solar panel. The manufacturer assured me this would not be an issue.

Steve
2015 TK

Reply #6
Our 1983 LD had an evaporative cooler, it required a bit of maintenance for limited results. Bone-dry conditions were needed for the best effect, conditions that are increasingly hard to find.
We have been traveling much of the late spring and summer and have encountered humid conditions everywhere….Eastern Sierras, Portland OR, San Diego, Central Coast, Kingman AZ, GCNP, Monument Valley, Mesa Verde NP, and now in Western Colorado. As the climate continues to warm, summer humidity in much of the West seems to increase more each year.
I’m not sure how much effort I would expend to repair and maintain an evaporative cooler. YMMV

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Thanks for the advice.
I have been in contact with Liam and I am trying to find a way to transport his pla-cool unit from Washington to California. I'm looking for somebody that is coming my way from Washington that would be willing to transport it. If you know of anybody please let me know.
Thanks
Shawn

Reply #8
My new-to-me 85 LD has only been in the driveway one week so I have no idea which brand cooler I have.  It will be coming off the roof so the cover (and rest of cooler) will be available.

Reply #9
My new-to-me 85 LD has only been in the driveway one week so I have no idea which brand cooler I have.  It will be coming off the roof so the cover (and rest of cooler) will be available.

First I’d like to welcome you to the Neighborhood.  Secondly, your first post was very thoughtful.  And finally, if you have a moment, please share some pictures of your LD and perhaps some of your RVing history.