Skip to main content
Topic: Got my hitch beefed up  (Read 303 times) previous topic - next topic
Got my hitch beefed up
I got the hitch beefed up on our  2021 MB.
I'm impressed with the job they did.
Warner's Muffler in Oceanside, CA.

They also installed a hitch and Blue Ox tow plate plus wiring for a charge line, 12V receptacle, and lights on our 2013 CRV.

Top quality work.
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Got my hitch beefed up
Reply #1
What was you 2021 tow rating? and what is it now?

I own a 30' with 4,000 lb tow rating. I will be buying an aluminum trailer to tow my 1971 Bronco, verses flat towing.

I will need to increase my towing capacity to at least 6,000 lbs. I was thinking I'd have to replace the whole original towing unit, but it sounds like I can just have it beefed up, like you did. How do they determine how much "BEEFING UP" you need?

Can you tell me about how much this cost?

2006 30' IB

Reply #2
For such a heavy load, consult a shop that specializes installing tow hitches. It isn’t going to be cheap.
Pre-2008 E450s have smaller brakes than later models. 6000 lbs is too heavy to pull safely and will be at or beyond the 20,000  lbs, the limit of the chassis.
Most LD owners flat tow because of this limit.
I suggest reconsidering towing anything this heavy. It is dangerous to run at or beyond Ford’s rating. Fading brakes on a downhill is something no one should ever experience.
Our 4600 lbs Rubicon is as heavy a vehicle as I would care to tow, I have my wife drive the Jeep on steep uphills and downgrades to reduce the stress on the LD .

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3

I own a 30' with 4,000 lb tow rating. I will be buying an aluminum trailer to tow my 1971 Bronco, verses flat towing.

I will need to increase my towing capacity to at least 6,000 lbs. I was thinking I'd have to replace the whole original towing unit, but it sounds like I can just have it beefed up, like you did. How do they determine how much "BEEFING UP" you need?

Can you tell me about how much this cost?

The hitch is rated at 4,000 lb I'm towing a 2013 Honda CRV.

I think what I've done is overkill but I'm comfortable with that it just adds a little bit of security since I don't plan on towing anything over my GVWR.

I just wanted to direct hitch to frame connection so I didn't need to rely on the bumper bolts that's all. It's more of my own security but it probably would have been fine without it.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #4
"I'm impressed with the job they did."

Not only you but me too! I know a thing or two about welding and in my estimation 'that' is an excellent job.   ;D
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #5
Or... got my beef hitched up. ;-)

X
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6

I believe the 30' units had a frame extension, which is less robust than the standard chassis.  Modification possibilities won't be the same as what can be done on a midbath.