Skip to main content
Topic: Awning Replacement (Read 365 times) previous topic - next topic
Awning Replacement
The awning on my 1997 MB needs to be replaced. It is getting increasingly difficult to open and close. I've replaced the parts which are still available but still need to get on a ladder and tug on it to get it started when opening. I crank on the handle then manually pull it out a bit then crank some more, pull out some more until gravity finally take over and I can crank it all the way open. The canvas is still in good shape but the top cover is bent and looks unsightly. There isn't a replacement cover available that I can find.

My preference would be to have a motorized awning (with manual close for when the motor decides not to work) however the most common ones have the hydraulic arms which mount to the side of the coach. On the mid bath it would mean attaching it to the front window. I'm not an engineer but my guess is that glass is not a good attachment point for the arm at the front.

All that said I have narrowed down my options to a new Fiamma 45s which I believe can be motorized or a Zip Dee which is mainly used on Airstreams and has an attachment point close to the same places as my present bracket for the support arms.

Right now I am leaning towards the Fiamma. My thinking is that it would use the same mounting brackets as the Dometic 977AA13.065 which I have right now and I could install myself. I would have to have the zip Dee installed by a dealership. I'm guessing the Fiamma is about half the cost of the Zip Dee.

If anyone has replaced the awning on their Mid Bath I'd love to hear of their experience and recommendations.
1997 MB

Re: Awning Replacement
Reply #2
Interesting... I wonder why your coach has a Dometic awning.

My 1998 MB, built in 1996, came from the factory with a Fiamma awning. I believe it was some variety of the F45. I replaced the cam-ratchet part on the end of the roller tube after I busted it by using too much force to close the awning. After that, and with a little adjusting, it worked like a champ.

I liked the simplicity and predictability of using the awning crank. The Class A had a manual awning with the pull-down, spring-return design; the awning would not close evenly. The manufacturer (Carefree of Colorado) offered a crank conversion kit, which I bought and installed, removing the springs. Thereafter the awning went in and out quietly, evenly and under complete control. When folks watched me deploy or retract the awning I smiled and said: "I feel like a happy Italian baker opening up his shop each day!"

In case I obscured it, the point of the above is a vote for the manually-cranked Fiamma.

Mark H.

P.S.- Both the LD and the Class A awning arms attached solidly to the coach side, forming a rigid triangle. Many motorized awnings appear to be cantilevered, floating on their cylinders from the coach side. The triangle resists wind forces better than the cantilever. I found I could leave my awnings out more often than folks with the cantilever style.
Former owner, 31-foot gas Class A
Former owner, 1997-8 mid-bath

Reply #3
Our rig’s Fiamma awning is almost 22 years old and it still works OK. It has been deployed for hundreds of days in various weather conditions with only wind being dangerous. We never leave the awning up unattended, sudden gusts, the type that can damage the aswing.
To reduce the effort to use the awning when camped in the same spot for several days, we leave the arms attached and roll the awning in as far as it will go without resistance. With only a foot or so of awning fabric displayed, it will tolerate high winds without damage…handy for when camping at the beach or in the desert.
On the downside, over the years the Fiamma has requied two sets of shock absorbers, a new gearbox, and a pivot for one of the arms. The good news is that all of the awning parts are still available, something that isn’t true for many other brands.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Hi Larry;  That is exactly what I do with my 24 year old Fiamma awning.  I use it to shade the refrigerator that is on that same side.  On hot sunny days it helps the refrigerator work better if the wall is cooler. It also helps keep the rig cooler.  I roll it up to about a 1 foot extension if I leave the rig.
   One time at Butterfield Ranch (Caravan Club) on a 30-40 mph windy day with it out a foot, I had to drive up near a building, to extend it enough, to stow it properly. (so I could get on the road)
  My pretty old awning still works well but It does need new end caps, both cracked and missing now. A new crank loop would be good too. The springs and shocks still seem good. I'm glad that I can still order parts from Fiamma.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #5

I do need new end caps, and a new crank loop would be good too. The springs and shocks still seem good. I'm glad that I can still order parts.
Would that parts were so easily available for driver and passenger.... ;)
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #6
I do need new end caps, and a new crank loop would be good too. The springs and shocks still seem good. I'm glad that I can still order parts. 

The two shock absorbers are pieces of somewhat flexible plastic. They get brittle with age and eventually crack.
It’s good to have a spare set. The left and right shock absorbers are different and are not interchangeable.

End caps are not hard to change, some have a pop-rivet that needs to be drilled out and replaced.
The crank loop is secured by a pin driven through the loop. A small punch or nail can be used to drive it out.

Larry
Larry

Reply #7
Hi Joel;  Some spare parts are available but are much more expensive, since I can't do it to myself.  Edited  my other post just to be a 'wet blanket'. That WashWaxAll works really well on the shower enclosure too. And the fan blades of the FFans.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #8
Even though my awning says Dometic I believe it was manufactured by Fiamma. Here are some photos of my awning at present.

I have been able to get some parts from Fiamma in Orlando but but both end pieces ( not the caps)  are deteriating from sun UV exposure and the top cover is bent. According to the Fiamma rep on the phone these parts are no longer available, and frankly if they were I would be reticent to put them on because I would then just be waiting for the next part to break. The awning is 27 years old the fabric is still in great shape but mechanically it's falling apart.

I do like the awning however and will most likely be putting on a newer version of it. I'm trying to find out if the new one will fit on the old mounting brackets. If so I think I could install it myself with the help of another person.  As I understand it you can add a motor to replace the crank but still need to manually put up the supports. Personally I'd go completely manual but I'm not the only decision maker. 
1997 MB

Reply #9
Even though my awning says Dometic I believe it was manufactured by Fiamma. Here are some photos of my awning at present.

The awning is a Fiamma. You are lucky to have an original, so many have been replaced on older rigs
Reading your first posting, your awning is like most of that age and is suffering from too much sun and UV.

Fiamma awnings are available with motor drives or manual ones that can be converted, there is the problem of providing power and an interior switch to control it.
I cannot say if it will use the same mounting but that can be worked out.

Larry
Larry

Reply #10
I called Fiamma and was told that the new F45s will fit on the existing mounting brackets, so I went ahead and ordered one. I just ordered the manual for now. They told me that the motor can be retrofitted if needed.

Unfortunately,, the only fabric choices now are blue and grey. Since my LD is green I went with grey. They told me they discontinued green a few years back.

Should get it in a couple of weeks. I'll post pictures once I have it installed.
1997 MB