Skip to main content
Topic: LD Video (Read 584 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: LD Video
Reply #1
Thanks Greg.  I recognized the blue interior pattern on the rear seat cushions. Same as what I have. Not the V10, so a 460 CID engine.  The white mirrors give that away.  So I'd say a '95 or '96, with the 'Nepal Teak' interior pattern. I would have been OK with the lighter wood pattern that showed up in 2002.  Wood patterned square tiles that was called a Parquet floor. Real wood but maybe really thin surface veneer. Mine still looks good. The grooves around each square do collect dirt.  My '99 had a different vinyl wallpaper, that I like better.
    I'm surprised that the fold up table fastened on the back wall wasn't a standard thing.  The rear dinette just isn't the same useful area without a table.  It also protects the back window when raised.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
It’s always fun to see a Lazy Daze on television. Usually these videos are pretty informative while the rig is standing still. There was the promotional LD video that was posted on the forum a while back.

Today I took my DD to the movies to see “Twisters”. Now, there were several action shots of a vintage Lazy Daze. I actually expected to see a few stationary shots of the LD. What we saw were many action shots of the LD getting down and dirty. Pretty fun, actually.

There was one shot that had a pretty good view of the Lazy Daze signage on the front overhead section. Sweet! Well mostly…below the name it shows that the LD was made somewhere in Arkansas. Hmmm…

The movie itself was packed with Hurricanes and a lot of action. We both enjoyed it. Two thumbs up from the two of us.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
..................... Not the V10, so a 460 CID engine.  The white mirrors give that away.  So I'd say a '95 or '96, with the 'Nepal Teak' interior pattern. ...............................

I'm trying to learn...  I got a little confused about the above quote which I'm assuming regard the video?  Not the V10? 

It has E450 badges and looks to have the later mirrors compared to my '95 with the 460?  Wouldn't those two features make it at least a '98 chassis with the V10? 
1995 26.5 Island Bed

Reply #4
Sorry Mark.  The still picture at the beginning of the video, has the white mirror attached to the door.  It isn't the same gray motorhome featured in the interview. That one does have the swing away black mirrors, and the E450 SuperDuty symbol. I can barely discern the V10 symbol on the front fender.  So I'll go with a '98 model because of the older wall paper.  (possibly a '97 too.)
   I was going by the Still picture at the start of the video.  RonB

Reply #5
Ron,
According to the video, this rig was built for the Eastons.  Isn’t there someone in the caravan club that maintains a list of original buyers? Assuming that was the original buyer, of course.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
Hi Greg; I was going to try and do a 'Family Tree' for each rig based on the serial number on the outside tags. But that would be difficult (nearly impossible).  One member here has access to a lot of the Factory's records, and might have some of the records of original buyers, serial numbers and options/colors, etc. But he is pretty busy at the moment. 
RonB

Reply #7
Ahhh... Thank you Ron!  That makes sense!  I did a lot of research on the model variations.  This site was an invaluable resource!
EDIT- I re-did the research and revised most of the below in a later post in this thread
Summary of what I remember:
'97 Ford chassis was available as an E350 or E350 Super Duty (Not technically called an E450 in '97?)
'98 Ford chassis was available as an E350 or E450.

I've seen an early '98 built on the '97 Ford chassis.  The LD Guide says '97 has an E450 chassis.   What I remember from my research is the '97 Ford Chassis might "technically" have been called an "E350 Super Duty" (versus just a plain E350 chassis) and wasn't technically designated an "E450" which seem to have started in '98? 

In any case, as far as I remember, the '97 chassis badges only say "Super Duty"...  and that was a "one year only" badge?  In '98 the badges said "E450 Super Duty". 

Not that any of this is important, I just like to dig up details because sometimes they are important. :)

1995 26.5 Island Bed

Reply #8
Hi Mark; What really mattered was the type of engine, the width, either 8' or widebody 8.5 feet and the GVWR.  Some one with more knowledge than I can probably fill in some gaps.  The SuperDuty designation was more GVWR. I know that somewhere in there the vacuum assisted brakes went to hydraulic assist to stop better. The emergency brake moved to the back of the transmission also.
   Lazy Daze did change things to accommodate the chassis they could get.  While the V10 was nice and newer than the 460 CID, the first 3 years '97, '98 and my '99, changed to a different V10 engine in 2000.  Had I known I would have waited ordering until 2000.  But then the first year of a new version isn't always a good thing either.  RonB

Reply #9

The 1996 E350 Super Duty was the first wide-body (99” wide) and the first 26.5’ model with the upgraded 14,050 GVW, the name changed to E450 the next year.
The short wheel-base models did not get the wide-body treatment until 2003.
The first V10s appeared in 1997 with a detuned version producing 265 HP.
The 4R100 transmission was standard in the 1999 models.

All E450 have a 4.56 rear axle ratio.
The E350s had 4.10 axle ratios, along with their lighter weight and GVW, the E350s get better gas mileage.
The E350 has vacuum-boosted brakes while all E450s have hydraulicly-boost brakes. The older G30 Chevy chassis also had hydraulicly boosted brakes. The E350 was an exception with vacuum-boosted brakes.
The E350 short-body did not come with a rear sway bar, adding an aftermarket sway bar can improve the handling (done to my brother’s E350 Winnie)

The pre-2003 short-wheelbase Ford models were E350s, including the T/K and FrontLounge. In 2003, the E350 narrow chassis was changed to the E450 wide-body chassis with its higher 14,050 GVW and lower (4.56) gear ratio.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #10
Thanks Larry! Much clearer.  I don't know that I get better gas mileage with my '99 E350 T/K, but about 10 mpg consistently with California gas. Lower with a lot of stop and go traffic, mountains/hills. I would guess that a rear sway bar would help, but it's been ok so far.  RonB

Reply #11
I would guess that a rear sway bar would help, but it's been ok so far. 

My brother owned a 24’, Class C Winnie on a E350 chassis for a few years. After he drove our 2003 E450,  he realized how much more sway his rig had. A Hellwig rear anti-sway bar helped greatly. IMO, it was nice but it was not needed.

Larry
Larry

Reply #12

The 1996 E350 Super Duty was the first wide-body (99” wide) and the first 26.5’ model with the upgraded 14,050 GVW, the name changed to E450 the next year...........

Of course I could be wrong...  but what I remember from my research a few months ago was that the "E Super Duty" model name was used for the heavier duty chassis through at least the first year of the V-10 (1997) before the E450 model name came into use.  

Technically, this makes little to no difference at all....  When I was a kid I learned things like how to tell the year model of a VW bug by the often minor trim or body changes.  I'm just trying to do the same thing here...  possibly figure out or narrow down the chassis year by visual cues

I know for a fact the early 1998 model I looked at had a V-10 and was built on a 1997 chassis and did not have E450 badges.  And someplace online...  possibly a Ford parts site...  I found evidence that made it appear the 14k GVW 1997 chassis was still using the "E Super Duty" model name that matched the badges on the 1997 chassis.

Thanks for all the input!  I guess it's still fun for me to learn the spec differences and changes that took place over the years!  I learned a few new things from this thread!
1995 26.5 Island Bed

Reply #13
More trivia....

I dug back into this and I'm confident that the use of the "E450" model name by Ford did not happen until the 1999 model year.

The desirable 1996-1998 upgraded 14,000 lb + GVW chassis that LD used for the 26.5 models were badged "E Super Duty" and were also known as the "Econoline Super Duty".  The Ford E450 model name did not exist during the 1996 to 1998 model years. 

(Yes, it is common to call a 1996-98 models an "E450" since the 96-98 "E Super Duty" chassis is basically what became the "E450" in 1999.)

The above might be useful for an LD 26.5 owner with the 1996-1998 Ford chassis and is looking for Ford parts?   

Edit for additional info:  Another point is that the 1996-98 heavier duty chassis was not called an "E350 Super Duty"...  it was the "E Super Duty" without the "350".  Very confusing naming by Ford!!!

1995 26.5 Island Bed

Reply #14
Looking at Rock Auto’s site, they use the term 'Super Duty' for the 1997 and 1998 model years with both Super Duty and E450 shown for the 1999 models…confusing.
1999 FORD Parts | RockAuto

Larry
Larry

Reply #15
Looking at Rock Auto’s site, they use the term 'Super Duty' for the 1997 and 1998 model years with both Super Duty and E450 shown for the 1999 models…confusing.
1999 FORD Parts | RockAuto

Larry

1999 was not only the first year of the E450 model name, Ford renamed most of the Van model line and added "Super Duty" to the names of the E350 and E450. 

1996 to 1998 the two Ford chassis used by LD were named the "E350" and the "E Super Duty"

1999 the two Ford chassis used by LD were named the "E350 Super Duty" and the "E450 Super Duty"

And yes, confusing! 
1995 26.5 Island Bed

Reply #16
I've been confused on parts sites for my 2000 E450 since I bought it in April
Ramon
2000 Mid-Bath
2012 Lance 830 Truck Camper/2006 Cummins Dodge Ram Megacab
1985 Multi Plan - Donated to the American Breast Cancer Foundation.

Reply #17
I added Roadmaster sway bars - front & back - and my 27' mid bath is a beast.  It was pretty good before but now it doesn't budge when 18 wheelers blast by
27' Mid Bath/Blue