Skip to main content
Topic: Who Knew? [Fluid weight per gallon for RVers] (Read 378 times) previous topic - next topic
Who Knew? [Fluid weight per gallon for RVers]
Hello friends,

Many, many years ago there was this question posed - “Which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead”? I think they are equal in weight. Did they ever answer that question? It was a long time ago when I was young and easily distracted. Does anyone know the answer?

So today I was going over my LD owners manual and found a note on the bottom of a page that referenced cargo carrying capacity. It said that WATER WEIGHS 8.3 lbs per Gallon. Ok that is informative. It also stated that GASOLINE WEIGHS 6.0 lbs per gallon. Say what? That’s interesting. It also stated that PROPANE WEIGHS 4.2 lbs per gallon. That kinda makes sense. I think. I am no genius but the weight difference between liquids was fascinating to me.

This makes me wonder what other common everyday RV trivia or other of life’s commonalities amaze us. I mean, hey, a pound of silver weighs the same as a pound of gold does it not? I would certainly enjoy having either in my possession.

Just curious.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Re: Who Knew?
Reply #1
Maybe not strictly RV, but...
Which Ounce?
 ;)
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #2
Those are good numbers to know when calculating your rig's weight! They're fairly easy to remember--4, 6 or 8 pounds per gallon for propane, gas, or water.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Since I struggle to remember what I had for breakfast, those fluid weights get lost as soon as I’m finished reading them.   So I’ve become a prolific note maker for essential information in my tiny world. 😜

Re: Who Knew? [Fluid weight per gallon for RVers]
Reply #4
A pound of anything will always be a pound of it.   The volume of something will be equal at equal volumes.   However, the weight of an equal volume will be different depending on the density of the atoms in the substance.   The heaviest per unit measure of volume is spent Uranium.  Hopefully, nobody in this forum will have ever had the 'joy' of seeing or knowing that.  To put it another way, a pound of water will have a different volume than a pound of gasoline. (assuming the same outside temp and air pressure)

glen 
(retired radiation therapist)
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #5
The heaviest per unit measure of volume is spent Uranium.  Hopefully, nobody in this forum will have ever had the 'joy' of seeing or knowing that. 

In the navy, one of my jobs was to perform (industrial) radiography. As I recall, our gamma radiography cameras used depleted uranium as shielding for the Iridium source.  Depleted uranium is denser and provides greater protection than lead.

Gamma Radiography for Industrial Inspections - OnestopNDT
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
"The heaviest per unit measure of volume is spent Uranium."

Depleted Uranium is commonly used in projectiles for military weapons, deadly when used on tank armor!
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #7
But, an ounce of prevention has more heft than a pound of cure.... ;)
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #8
"deadly when used on tank armor"

True, because of its very high density. But depleted uranium is also potentially deadly to veterans and to civilians, due to tons of spent ammo lying around, or worse, aerosolized on impact with armor, after every battle. While the word "depleted" suggests that it's harmless, in fact DU is 60% as radioactive as natural uranium--in other words, still dangerous.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
I travel with a buddy.
He has a big Winnebago tour and tows a Jeep Grand Cherokee.
He has three dogs, a dishwasher and washer and drier so uses a lot of water.
We like to stay put for awhile and it made more sense to bring water to the RV's instead of moving the RV's to get water.
We found a water bladder that holds 150 gallons of water, his can hold 85 and mine holds 60, so even if we are bone dry, the bladder can fill us both.
The bladder fits in the back of the Jeep perfectly so weight distribution is pretty even.
You can really tell the difference when the bladder is mostly full. Adding 1200 pounds is a lot.
XX

Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #10
We found a water bladder that holds 150 gallons of water, his can hold 85 and mine holds 60, so even if we are bone dry, the bladder can fill us both.

Ah, if only mine could hold that much!   ;)
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #11
I remember the old riddle something more like "which weighs more, a pound of silver or a pound of feathers?"

(the answer is then alleged to be the feathers...  see the link Joel Wiley posted for the reasoning behind the trick question)
1995 26.5 Island Bed

Reply #12
That bladder full of water would do well as a hot water heater for an outdoor shower. Difficult to hang from a tree, though.

Back in the day when my Grandfather was a cop during prohibition “Rum Runners would smuggle booze in tanks located inside the cars hidden by the headliner. Police would chase the runners down the road then pull a pit maneuver on the criminals and the car would flip out of control ruining their day pretty quickly.

They may have faired better with a lower center of gravity.

2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #13
We like to stay put for a while and it made more sense to bring water to the RV's instead of moving the RV's to get water.

How are you storing so much wastewater?  Flooding the local squirrel; holes?

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #14
We have a 42 gallon portable waste tank and use it to dump.
Sometimes we empty it in the woods and sometimes we take it to a dump station.
Depends on where we are.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #15
We have a 42 gallon portable waste tank and use it to dump.
Sometimes we empty it in the woods

Really?
And we wonder why more areas are being closed off to dispersed camping.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #16
You can really tell the difference when the bladder is mostly full. Adding 1200 pounds is a lot.
[attach type=image]38620[/attach][attach type=image]38622[/attach]
Do you drive the Jeep with a full bladder? Or with it partially full? That seems a bit scary at highway speeds, but maybe not a problem if you are creeping around the outback at 15-20 mph.
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #17
We have had it mostly full, at least 120 gallons.
We are careful after filling to take it easy on the way back to camp.
We have driven it 40 miles sometimes and it is fine.
Even on forest service roads which can be tricky.
Jota
96 23.5 FL