Skip to main content
Topic: Painted Wheels (Read 395 times) previous topic - next topic
Painted Wheels
I don't really care for the chromy wheel covers so I'm thinking about painting the wheels. In searching the forum I've only found two members that have done this (Andy and Joan). Anyhow, in past rigs I've had Alcoa wheels and for those, I always used lug nut covers so I'm thinking about getting some kind of lug nut or hub cover. I've have a copy of a catalog which came up in one of the old posts. (wheel covers) Any recommendations? Thanks.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Re: Painted Wheels
Reply #1
I took the chrome wheel simulators off and painted all the wheels black.
Was a pain in the butt to do, but I'm happy with the outcome.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #2
Jota, I get this error when I click on the link. Can you repost it, please. Also, I can't tell from your photo. Did you do anything with the lug nuts/hubs? Thanks.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #3
Jota, I like it! Black wheels go well with your dark gray lower body panels.

(Jor, the link worked for me. Maybe try again?)
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
I took the chrome wheel simulators off and painted all the wheels black.
Was a pain in the butt to do, but I'm happy with the outcome.   https://www.lazydazeowners.com/index.php?action=dlattach;sa=tmpattach;attach=post_tmp_4997_0a4e48e3b06755d117f88855cfa88f45;topic=39690

'
I'm with you, JOR.  We have the same coach but a 24' TK...  and I have been thinking of doing the same thing.  Local tire shop recommended taking the wheels to a local paint shop to have them primed n' painted...  sounds expensive.  So, looking at other options which hopefully won't scratch and chip paint off. 

Nice look on your wheels, JOTA!

One of the other things was to take the rear wheel skirts off with the black painted wheels?  Has anybody done this?  As I'd mentioned in another thread, we're also looking at painting the coach, same color scheme with Line-X, or bed liner.  Love the results on our Wrangler.

We rarely do RV parks - mostly FS, BLM and national/state parks. 
2006 24’ TK
570 watts solar, 300Ah lithium
SKP Lifetime member #105622
Land of Enchantment

Reply #5
I don't really care for the chromy wheel covers so I'm thinking about painting the wheels. In searching the forum I've only found two members that have done this (Andy and Joan).

Joan kept her rig original, including the chrome wheel covers.
The chrome covers are a matter of personal taste, we fell in love with the original and unique LD look.
An LD without the chrome covers looks naked and cheap to me. We see a lot of old LDs along the California coast, many missing their wheel covers.

FYI, chrome covers were an option back in the 1980s and earlier, along with the awning, generator, larger gas tank, and roof A/C.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Jor.
I removed the wheels from the coach.
Taped them up with newspaper and used Rustoleum flat black paint of all 6 wheels.
Did not do anything else but put the wheels back on.
15 years later they still look ok.
And I hate chrome so removing them was fine with me.
Something else I don't have to deal with is always good too.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #7
I like the chrome wheel covers, personally. I did not like the pry-off/hammer-on mounting though. I replaced mine with the bolt on ones recommended here on LDOF. They look good, and work well with the extended valve stems also recommended here.

2013 27’ Mid-Bath
2005 Honda CR-V

Reply #8
Well, no chrome any where. The stock wheel covers are electropolished stainless steel. My nearly 25 year old ones still look like new when I clean them.
   I think that broken link just shows the picture in Jota's post.
   But for more ideas, Andy Baird's post here:  https://www.lazydazeowners.com/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=495 shows more pictures.  With no covers, I would do the wheels in white. Much like many motorhomes come in, without the Lazy Daze influence.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #9
I'm doin' it. Started today. If my rig came with Alcoa wheels I would be fine with them but I just don't care for the look of the chrome wheel covers. Just a matter of personal preference. Good time for me to do it as we're getting tires before our next trip so I won't have to be careful to avoid paint on the rubber.  I'll post when I get done.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #10
Jor
Have you looked at getting your wheels powdered coated in a tinted clear coat ?
2005 T/K

Reply #11
Have you looked at getting your wheels powdered coated in a tinted clear coat ?

That would sure be the best way to do it. I used to have a home powder coating rig and had a lot of fun with it. Re the painting project, I am pausing and giving it some more thought... I haven't found what I envision on the lug nut/hub covers. Thinking.
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #13
That’s what I did, just have not put the Alcoa’s on yet.
Got them on sale shipped $1420. Set of 4 with kit of hupcaps and nuts.

I’m used to having the Alcoa on my diesel motorhomes had to get them for the LD.

Buytruckwheels.com
Johnny 5
Searching

Reply #14
That’s what I did, just have not put the Alcoa’s on yet.
Got them on sale shipped $1420. Set of 4 with kit of hupcaps and nuts.

I’m used to having the Alcoa on my diesel motorhomes had to get them for the LD.
[actco e out arear betweenthn]

Since the inner rear wheel will still be steel, coat the contact area between the inner and outer wheels with anti-seize to prevent corrosion.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #15
How about Alcoa Aluminum wheels? 

Like Johnny5, that's what I've always had but I don't want to spend the money to replace the steelies.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester