Skip to main content
Topic: Lucky to be Alive (Read 248 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Lucky to be Alive
Reply #1
"As bad as this looks, it could easily have been much worse!"

Don't know what that 'worse' might have been outside of a fatality! The passersby said the owner was standing by the stove with a lighter in his hand. Sounds to me like the coach was already full of propane and he provided the spark. The photos seem to support that.

In defense of that old man's nose I can attest to the loss of smell in old age... I can't smell garlic if you hold it under my nose!  ::)

The reporter who wrote that article needs some brush-up on RV Classification!
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
It may also be interesting to note that with age we can effectively loose more sensitivity to other of our faculties.

Sight and smell are often lessened to a certain degree if not entirely. This is a very important aspect to note regarding RV safety devices such as smoke, propane and fire alarms.

In these regards, the gentleman who suffered this tragic accident may have lost his sensitivity to smell and sound. This doubled his danger threshold. If an alarm was active due to the presence of a propane leak his possible hearing impairment could have left him unaware of the danger of such a leak.

My propane detector is located near the floor and while a light may flash a warning (does it?) its audible alarm may not be of sufficient magnitude to bring awareness to a RV occupant that is unable to hear it.

Are all such alarms the same? There are propane detectors that have a visible alarm signal for the hearing impaired but I am uncertain how bright these visible signals are. Amazon has them but so far I am not sure how well they work. Would there be a danger of an alarm light triggering an explosion? Tricky questions.

Just a thought.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #3
It's not well known, but since 2020, iPhones have been able to recognize fourteen different audible signals, such as door knocking, glass breaking, dog barking, emergency vehicle sirens, and yes, smoke detectors and the like. The phone will then play tones and/or vibrate to notify you. (Lots of choices either way, so you can have a unique vibration pattern for each alarm.)

I haven't used this feature, but it's found in Settings > Accessibility > Sound Recognition. You can choose which sounds to recognize from a long list, including custom sounds--so it could be tailored to any particular propane, carbon monoxide, or other alarm, while ignoring barking dogs and coughing neighbors. Very customizable, and very clever.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
It's not well known, but since 2020, iPhones have been able to recognize fourteen different audible signals, such as door knocking, glass breaking, dog barking, emergency vehicle sirens, and yes, smoke detectors and the like. The phone will then play tones and/or vibrate to notify you. (Lots of choices either way, so you can have a unique vibration pattern for each alarm.)

I haven't used this feature, but it's found in Settings > Accessibility > Sound Recognition. You can choose which sounds to recognize from a long list, including custom sounds--so it could be tailored to any particular propane, carbon monoxide, or other alarm, while ignoring barking dogs and coughing neighbors. Very customizable, and very clever.

Good to know, Andy!  My wife lost her sense of smell and taste after a round of Covid a couple years ago. Too bad her iPhone can't help with that!   ;D
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264