Skip to main content
Topic: Just how tall am I? (Read 630 times) previous topic - next topic
Just how tall am I?
Always knew the spec sheet says my 2017 TK was 10’3”, but I always figured anything 11’ or higher I’d be good and left it at that.

Today rolled into a Massachusetts gas station that said 10’6”.  Hesitated a bit, but then said to myself, either I have 3 inches of clearance or not, let’s find out.    Crept in, listening for the bar tapping my vent cover.   Sailed under with a bit to spare.
Dave

2017 TK

Re: Just how tall am I?
Reply #1
Dave … you are more brave than us!   When we’re in doubt, we stop, look, and decide.   So many times we’ve decided to move on especially with tight turns in gas stations.  The very last sound we want to hear is some kind of crunch, scrape, or bump. 😱

Reply #2
OMG! I think I wouldve found a different gas station! I am not up for that kind of excitement!

:o

PS ~~ your roof and solar panels are so clean and shiny!
Jodi, Kevin, and Lincoln (the crazy doodle dog)
2011 TK - also the "DogHaus"- adopted October 2023
2000 30IB - the "DogHaus" - adopted April 2020 - rehomed October 2023

Reply #3
Plenty of room, Dave!  👍

If you’re ever in Paso Pobles, here is another challenge but I’d be more concerned with the width!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #4
My radio antenna sticks up another foot above the roof.
I've had a few occasions that the antenna has been scraped on something
and that is enough to get my attention.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #5
The previous owner of our LD, now my daughter's LD, had gone up on the roof and measured the distance to the ground.  With labeling machine using wight tape with large block red letters he posted the height near the instrument cluster.  He was a fireman checked out to drive the trucks, including being the guy working the wheel from the back of the hook and ladder rigs.  He gave me a driving lesson after I purchased the RV.  We drove around for a few hours.  Starting in the neighborhood on residential streets and working our way up to the interstates.  He lived near the Mothership so that was part of the lesson.  I got the T-Shirt and a surge protector.  
I can not count the number of times I referred to those measurements.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #6
I’ve encountered a number of close calls in New England.

Did not test my luck on the 10’ 4” route, but the 11’ 8” gave me pause, I knew I was well under it, but there was no warning that it was upcoming to avoid it, and it was one way (two lanes).   What exactly would I have done if I was 12’?

The absolute worst has been Halifax airport parking.   I knew in advance that I had to park in the surface lot, but when I rounded the corner of the multi lane one way road, I was confronted with “lot closed” and the other lanes going to the 8’ high parking garage.   No one there, spoke on the help intercom.  Went round and round with the lady who insisted the lot was closed and she couldn’t help me, stating it would need to go to the private off airport lot, yet didn’t have a solution for me to actually get there.  Waited there for 20 minutes until she finally grasped that I had no other choice but the closed lot.
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #7
I assume 11’ 8” bridge in the center.  Therefore, I would ride the center line there.  Always an adventure while on the road!  Thanks for sharing.

Ron S
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Reply #8
I assume 11’ 8” bridge in the center.  Therefore, I would ride the center line there.  Always an adventure while on the road!  Thanks for sharing. Ron S
I also wondered where the measurement was taken. Here in Washington State, the measurement is usually taken at the right edge of the outside lane, but it doesn't look like they did that for this bridge.
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #9

PS ~~ your roof and solar panels are so clean and shiny!

Was thinking the same..  they look polished!

Ramon
2000 Mid-Bath
2012 Lance 830 Truck Camper/2006 Cummins Dodge Ram Megacab
1985 Multi Plan - Donated to the American Breast Cancer Foundation.

Reply #11
That Cummins in the Monaco sounded great though. Disappointed in the Monaco's build. Just fell apart. Wouldn't be a good one to roll!
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #12
That Cummins in the Monaco sounded great though. Disappointed in the Monaco's build. Just fell apart. Wouldn't be a good one to roll

Most DPs have no structural framing above the frame, regardless of cost.
An old steel Bluebird would be a better choice.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #13
The Highway bridge in front of the train bridge; both were marked 9' 9", so if you didn't notice the second bridge, you might think that you would make it!  Sometimes clearance isn't re-measured and the signage changed when they re-pave the road. Sometimes about 2" higher for the road, each time it is repaved. That reduces what can go under the bridge, but the paving company and the signs need to agree.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #14
"Sometimes about 2" higher for the road, each time it is repaved."

Good point, Ron!
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #15
If one has any doubts about how high their LD is here is my way of determining the true height. Park the coach on a level hard surface. I take a 4 ft. long bubble level up on the roof and place it on whatever appears to be the high spot ( like the AC cover). Extend the level to the side of the coach holding it at level. then have another person with a tape measure on a ladder measure from the bubble level to the ground. Write that value into the spec records. That's it!
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #16
Most DPs have no structural framing above the frame, regardless of cost.

Some do. The ones we used to have were noted for that. You could roll it and it would stay intact. These photos kind of show the build. The first one is in the front cap area and the second, the side metal framing. When the temp and humidity were just right it would show up pretty well. The third is one of our old rigs.

Interestingly, we sold that one to a missionary family, husband and wife and five kids. I tried to talk them out of it but they were determined. They lived in it for five years or so. Those rigs are built to sleep 2 so it was a tight fit for sure!!!
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #17
If one has any doubts about how high their LD is here is my way of determining the true height. Park the coach on a level hard surface. I take a 4 ft. long bubble level up on the roof...
Or, just measure up to the roof edge on each side, average that, then add the height of the A/C (or highest unit), which you can get from it's spec sheet. No ladder or bubble level needed, no trip to the roof.
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #18
Or, just measure up to the roof edge on each side, average that, then add the height of the A/C (or highest unit), which you can get from it's spec sheet. No ladder or bubble level needed, no trip to the roof.
That's what I did.
Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #19
The Brisk Air II is listed as 12.7" high.  My older Brisk Air (I guess one?) may be slightly less, But I'll call it a "foot" or 12".  I replaced the shroud a long time ago, and all of it's identifying marks are gone also.  Dometic Brisk II 13,500 BTU Rooftop RV Air Conditioner - White (B57915.XX1C0)   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB