Skip to main content
Topic: Hello Everyone! (Read 2084 times) previous topic - next topic
Hello Everyone!
Hi Everyone,

My name is Will. My wife and I just purchased our 1st RV, a 99' MB with a 7.3 Powerstroke. We're excited to take it on our 1st shakedown  trip next weekend and hope to have many good trips in our LD. I'm looking forward to learning from all the great info here and our chats in the future.

-Will
1999 MB, 7.3L PowerStroke

Re: Hello Everyone!
Reply #2
Hi Will; A Diesel engine! 1999 was the sweet spot year for that engine.  A friend has a '99 F350 crew cab that is just 3" shorter than my motorhome.  Expected to last up to 400,000 miles, I'm curious how many miles you have on your Lazy Daze.  I also have a '99, but the E350 chassis and V10.  Welcome to the FOLD! (Fellowship Of Lazy Daze). RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #3
Hi Ron,

Thank you for the welcome! Our LD has 125k miles. My wife and I loves the MB layout. Our LD needs some love, but what 25 y.o rig doesn't?

Reply #4
Thank you for the welcome! Our LD has 125k miles. My wife and I loves the MB layout. Our LD needs some love, but what 25 y.o rig doesn't?
It's not a bad idea to spend at least one night (and part of the day) in it, in your driveway. That way, anything forgotten, tweaking something, and if it's hot weather, you can take care of things easily.
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #5
It's not a bad idea to spend at least one night (and part of the day) in it, in your driveway. That way, anything forgotten, tweaking something, and if it's hot weather, you can take care of things easily.

Hey Eric,
Unfortunately not an option for us. We live in a condo and as classy as a LD I think my HOA may have an opinion. We're going about 1.5 hours away, and only 20m outside a city, and camping with 2 friends who are more experienced. I've bought a ton of stuff to outfit LD. Hopefully we'll have a great trip but we're realistic about the fact we'll have a few snags.

Reply #6
Welcome welcome...... 
I'm sure you'll have many great adventures.   Once Lizbeth and I brought our LD we never looked back.   <smile> It's been ten-plus years and we are still adjusting this and that.  

Please don't be a stranger.   The folks on this board have a lot of experience with all things LD.  

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #7
"Our LD has 125k miles. My wife and I love the MB layout."

At 125k it's just getting it's second wind! And the MB was a very popular model... even Ed Newton would downplay anything larger for a couple, as he did with my wife and I.

And a well cared for LD is a blank canvas for new ideas of how to personalize it for you.   :D   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #8
Welcome welcome...... 
I'm sure you'll have many great adventures.   Once Lizbeth and I brought our LD we never looked back.   <smile> It's been ten-plus years and we are still adjusting this and that.  

Please don't be a stranger.   The folks on this board have a lot of experience with all things LD.  

glen

Hey Glen,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am sure I'll be asking a ton of advice from the veterans of the FOLD. I'm looking our first encounter with another LD owner.

-Will

Reply #9
The folks on this board have a lot of experience with all things LD.  

glen

I disagree with the above statement. All the “Hero Members” have extensive knowledge of RVs, not just LDs. You will learn a lot by reading past posts.
Sam

Reply #10
 Actually, the assertion of LD expertise does not preclude expertise with other RVs. :D
2013 27’ Mid-Bath
2005 Honda CR-V

Reply #11
Larry,

I picked up my LD in Carlsbad literally 1 block from the beach.

Thank you for all the info and advice. Looks like I have a busy winter ahead of me. I am planning on replacing the bumper with a tube bumper, have a new tow hitch receiver that mount directly to the vehicle chassis, and mounting the spare under the body with a cable hoist. Will likely be getting rid if the ladder too, because it has a damaged section.

Reply #13
Hey Ed and Margee,

I most definitely will. My first priority is to replace the fans with the new ones sitting in the garage and reseal the whole roof I am not sure if it was ever done.

Reply #14
I picked up my LD in Carlsbad literally 1 block from the beach.

Thank you for all the info and advice. Looks like I have a busy winter ahead of me. I am planning on replacing the bumper with a tube bumper, having a new tow hitch receiver that mounts directly to the vehicle chassis, and mounting the spare under the body with a cable hoist.

The existing bumper is not directly connected to the frame, instead, two lightweight pieces of steel U-channels fill the gap between the end of the frame rails and the rear bumper.

To gain more structural strength, the top plate of the bumper has a 90-degree flange that bolts into the bottom of the rear wall to prevent lateral movement. Consider finding a hitch shop and having them advise you as to how to make the new bumper tow-worthy.  An off-the-shelf hitch is not going to work without serious modifications. The lateral loading issue needs to be addressed.
You should probe the wood across the bottom of the rear wall with an icepick, accessed from under the rig.
This area often rots out due to either a leaking rear window or leaking end caps. Rot in this area can compromise the structural integrity of the rear bumper mount when towing.

The stock bumper, hitch, and its mounting hardware are not what I would call heavy-duty, ours needed upgrading to safely pull a Jeep.
This is what I want

Getting the spare out of the rear compartment of a MB is a PIA, the good news is flats are not common. In 30 years and over 200,000 miles, the spare has only been needed once.
Years ago, someone here tried mounting the spare in the vacant space between the frame rails under the rear of a Mid-Bath. The winch was mounted on a new cross member between the frame rails, the spare tire hung down low enough to be a hazard.
Make sure to measure everything before starting this project, ground clearance is important. Things being ripped off the bottom of your motorhome can make terrible noises. Something to avoid.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #15
First shake down trip!

Needed items
- channel locks
-silicone lubricant

Reply #16
The existing bumper is not directly connected to the frame, instead, two lightweight pieces of steel U-channels fill the gap between the end of the frame rails and the rear bumper.

To gain more structural strength, the top plate of the bumper has a 90-degree flange that bolts into the bottom of the rear wall to prevent lateral movement. Consider finding a hitch shop and having them advise you as to how to make the new bumper tow-worthy.  An off-the-shelf hitch is not going to work without serious modifications. The lateral loading issue needs to be addressed.
You should probe the wood across the bottom of the rear wall with an icepick, accessed from under the rig.
This area often rots out due to either a leaking rear window or leaking end caps. Rot in this area can compromise the structural integrity of the rear bumper mount when towing.

The stock bumper, hitch, and its mounting hardware are not what I would call heavy-duty, ours needed upgrading to safely pull a Jeep.
This is what I want

Getting the spare out of the rear compartment of a MB is a PIA, the good news is flats are not common. In 30 years and over 200,000 miles, the spare has only been needed once.
Years ago, someone here tried mounting the spare in the vacant space between the frame rails under the rear of a Mid-Bath. The winch was mounted on a new cross member between the frame rails, the spare tire hung down low enough to be a hazard.
Make sure to measure everything before starting this project, ground clearance is important. Things being ripped off the bottom of your motorhome can make terrible noises. Something to avoid.

Larry

Larry,

To be honest I am little scared of what I'll find once I start probing. Haha. I took off the "spare tire cover" hoping I lucked out but I didn't. I did find this (see pics below) and I am not happy about it.

Reply #17
for 12 years I used a square of cardboard, tweaked to pressure fit up there inside the dome
Same here except substitute 3" foam rubber for the cardboard!  :D
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #18
The rear window is probably the culprit of the leaks and corrosion. It’s good that there is no damaged wood observable.
Waterproofing everything before the winter is your primary concern, we received a lot of rain over the last two years.

The roof seams should be resealed if it has not been done already.
Check all the window seals, the Factory sealant shrinks with age and forms concave depressions along the top and sides of the window that can hold water.
Window and end caps are the most common sources of leaks.
Window and seam sealing | Flickr
Roof seam reseal | Flickr

The rear bumper is going to be a project. The top piece needs to be cut off, and a new piece of heavy sheet metal must be bent to replace the rusted top.
While the top piece is welded in many spots, the overlapping gaps are not sealed and allow moisture to enter, causing rust.
There's a good chance your rig spent a lot of time at the beach and was not washed afterward. Salt is evil.
The bumper’s vertical bolts are crucial to the structural strength of the bumper, do not neglect to install them if you plan on towing.

Larry

Hey Larry,

I am still gathering items to do the roof cap, I’ve viewed your FlickR links several times) and window reseal but had a few questions:

How many tubes of the 3M 5200 should I need for the roof and end caps?
How many tubes of the window sealant you recommended in your other posts?
Should 40’ of 4” eternabond be sufficient to seal the roof caps and vents?

Reply #19
Hi Will, Welcome back to the world of Lazy Daze.  This too long thread has meandered for too long.   Lets return to the technical forum for repairs and modifications.  Thanks.
  So I'm locking this 'too long' thread,  And restarted it in the Lazy Daze 'Technical Forum'   RonB

Reply #20
Hi Will, Welcome back to the world of Lazy Daze.  This too long thread has meandered for too long.   Lets return to the technical forum for repairs and modifications.  Thanks.
  So I'm locking this 'too long' thread,  And restarted it in the Lazy Daze 'Technical Forum'   RonB

I split out the discussions on roof vents, side panel electrolysis/repair, and skylights into their own individual topics as well.  Makes it much easier for future searches and also to keep the technical discussion focused.

Reply #21
Thanks Michelle. I don't get enough practice to do this; afraid I have enough power here to really mess things up! RonB