Skip to main content
Topic: Servicing transmission on 2002 E-450 Super Duty (Read 273 times) previous topic - next topic
Servicing transmission on 2002 E-450 Super Duty
I've read topics stating when changing transmission fluids, you can drain the fluid from the pan. Measure the amount drained and replace with the same amount drained with new fluid. Am I correct?

Thanks!
2002 30' IB

Re: Servicing transmission on 2002 E-450 Super Duty
Reply #1
Am I correct?

Yip. Although you'll miss the fluid in the torque converter and you'll be using the old filter. I dropped the pan on mine so I could change the filter but I left the fluid in the torque converter. When I get around to it I'm going to do the same drain and replace. I figure that will be near 100%. My trans has a drain plug (photo).
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #2
Thanks JOR.
My LD has 45k miles. I'm not a mechanic. I would be hesitant to drop the pan to change the filter and drain the converter.
2002 30' IB

Reply #3
I would be hesitant to drop the pan to change the filter and drain the converter.

I was probably not clear in my post. When you drop the pan, you're doing the same as draining through a drain plug. The advantage is that it allows access to the transmission filter. The only way to replace all of the fluid in the transmission is to flush the system. There are a number of posts here that describe that process. You might consider calling a couple of shops and asking the price for a drain and replace and for a complete flush. Good luck.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #4
Seeing that LD only 45K miles is a complete drain and flush necessary?
2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Hi NaDaze; If you haven't been towing, you can safely defer this fluid exchange. Routinely driving in Very hot weather, in the 100+ and/or towing a heavy vehicle, like a 4200# Jeep, accelerates deterioration of the transmission fluid.  You should think about having the filter changed and a flush around the 60,000 mile mark.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #6
There's a good chance your 22-year-old LD’s transmission fluid has never been changed or flushed.
Draining the pan removes about 8 quarts of the 18 quarts of the total capacity of the 4L100 transmission.
The 8-quart change only dilutes the old fluid, replacing a third of the old fluid and leaving two-thirds of the old, dirty fluid in place. I don’t consider this to be a fluid change.

A complete flush is recommended with such an old rig; it takes 22 quarts to fully flush the old fluid.
Transmission fluid is cheap compared to the cost of a rebuilt transmission.
Transmission flush vs drain and fill

We tow a heavy Jeep, when the transmission was rebuilt at 100K, the builder recommended 30,000-mile fluid change intervals using Valvoline synthetic transmission fluid.
MaxLife Multi-Vehicle Auto Transmission Fluid (ATF) - Valvoline Global -...

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
We used this method right after we got our 98~MB about eight years ago which was at 72K, I think it took 24qts.  We recently did this fluid & filter exchange again at 136K.  We do not tow and until recently do not drive in temperatures over 85.  So far our Transmission has worked well.

Karen~Liam
       98 ~ MB
         NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags