Skip to main content
Topic: Generator Muffler replacement for 2000 Onan Emerald Plus (Read 257 times) previous topic - next topic
Generator Muffler replacement for 2000 Onan Emerald Plus
I've read through every post on the forum that mentions the mufflers for the Onan generators but can't find the answer I need.

Our 2000 23.5 TK has a Onan Emerald Plus 4000 generator. On a trip last week, the exhaust pipe that leaves the muffler came completely detached (rusted out!) and now I need to find a replacement.  Does anyone have one that looks like mine? Have you had to replace it?

Searches on Amazon for Onan (Cummins) RV generator mufflers I can't find anything that looks like what I had on mine. They all have the exhaust pipe coming out the end, vs the side. There are some really old threads on here that mention that some generator mufflers were going out of production, but none of the thread on here reference specific part numbers, dimensions etc.

Hoping one of you has had to replace one like mine and can provide some guidance of what will fit! I'd prefer to do the replacement myself vs. paying a muffler shop to do it.

Thanks everyone!

Re: Generator Muffler replacement for 2000 Onan Emerald Plus
Reply #1
OK, So I am trying to understand the configuration.   The gen is behind the entry door and the tail pipe is on same side (passenger?)  Or does it exit the driver side?  So since you have what they call the under floor mount gen, the muffler is on the side of the gen instead of underneath it.  You can see the gen tray lower than the body of the coach, correct?  And since the muffler is soo close to the side of the  coach, they put the pipe exit in the middle of the muffler it appears based on your pix.  

Which model of 4000 generator do you have?  Might not matter as they had many different exhaust kits for same gen.  I have a service manual that shows the side mount muffler but not seeing part numbers yet.  I actually have a part list for  the Emerald but it lists everything except the muffler.  This  is a tough one.  I am still searching my files.  Any Part number on the muffler? 

I know you want to fix this yourself and the muffler is probably rotted but you might just need to have a muffler shop weld plates of that area and beef it up if we can't find anything.  My 2000 MB has the gen on passenger side but the tail pipe exits on the driver side.  Now I need to go see my muffler configuration.   Have you called Cummins/Onan?

Ramon
2000 Mid-Bath
2012 Lance 830 Truck Camper/2006 Cummins Dodge Ram Megacab
1985 Multi Plan - Donated to the American Breast Cancer Foundation.

Reply #2
OK, Perhaps its the 155-2086 muffler.    Pretty pricey.  You can google the P/N for images.  Second link has one.  You would need to get specs to make sure it fits.

https://shop.cummins.com/SC/product/onan-spark-arsr-muffler-1552086/01t4N0000048kkGQAQ

ONAN 155-2086 - SPARK ARRESTER MUFFLER - Original ONAN/CUMMINS OEM part |...

And you might want to put a call into Todd about this, maybe he can help.  He is a former Lazy Daze employee that sells parts and might know why they sold the TK with this strange muffler.  The side muffler the shop manual shows has the tail pipe exiting out the end of muffler, not side.

Ramon
2000 Mid-Bath

Reply #4
GRANDLAKE, any update here?  I recently went through my Onan manual and have more clear info if you need it.  Seems I have a similar side muffler but exit is out the back instead of mid muffler like yours.

Ramon
2000 Mid-Bath

Reply #5
A good muffler shop should be able to make a muffler that fits.
Much cheaper than what Onan would want for one too.
Take your old one down and see what they want to make one.
Then, you can install it yourself.
Jota
96 23.5 FL