Skip to main content
Topic: Battery/Engery Price Drop (Read 149 times) previous topic - next topic
Battery/Engery Price Drop
This article is a bit on the technology side.  But very interesting.    The future of electric cars is becoming more in focus.  Electric engines have always been more efficient than gas/diesel engines.    The issue has always been the source/storage of energy.  In the USA electric is 1/3 the cost of gas.   The issue is the batteries.  It seems battery tech has dropped below gas tech in a major way.  

I guess we've reached a tipping point.......

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Re: Battery/Engery Price Drop
Reply #1
Nice to see more positive news about EVs, tired of seeing all the negative press, ICE vehicles aren’t getting cheaper or cleaner.

Early March this year traded my Ford Fusion in for a 2023 Tesla 3, as with all my RV traveling, made no sense to have a gas vehicle sit idle for six months plus every year, EVs don’t mind as much.

Catch was couldn’t install a charger in our shared condo garage for less than 7-8 thousand.  So it’s always super charged (higher electric prices) but ran the numbers and it was still 1/3 the cost of gas.  That’s why it had to be a Tesla.  And there are ample chargers in the Bay Area, places we frequent anyway.   My wife doesn’t like the Tesla, too spartan for her, but paying $20 vs $60 for a fill up has her driving it as much as her car.

Dave

2017 TK

Reply #2
The price of lithium batteries used in RVs keeps dropping.
Three years ago, a 100 amp/hour Battleborn battery was over $800. Will Prowse recently gave a very positive review of a new 100 amp/hour Li Time series-24  battery, with Bluetooth and a low-temperature sensor, that is now selling for $286.
That's a third of what a similar battery sold for three years ago. If only the price of everything else was dropping the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR5MkFRSucc
⚡【Up to 6% Flash Sale】12V 100Ah Group 24 Bluetooth LiFePO4 Lithium Dee –...

Hopefully, these price drops mean large-scale lithium battery banks for storing renewable wind and solar power are on the horizon, which would be a big step toward electrification.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
"Three years ago, a 100 amp/hour Battleborn battery was over $800."

And now the same battery is $925! And unlike even its least expensive competitors (e.g., that $286 LiTime battery), it still has no Bluetooth, so you can't see what's going on inside, whether the cells are balanced, etc. It's unbelievable that they've been able to coast on their reputation for as long as they have.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"