Skip to main content
Topic: Roof cap screws (Read 338 times) previous topic - next topic
Roof cap screws
What do you guys do to clean and protect your roof cap screws?
Thanks!
2002 30' IB

Re: Roof cap screws
Reply #1
It appears your 2002 LD's roof seams have never been resealed, you are way past due,
Search the archives for many posts on resealing the roof seams.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Larry.
The caps on top of roof seams have been sealed. I'm referring to the screws that run along side caps that's.  See photo.
2002 30' IB

Reply #3
If they are rusted, they may break off if you try to remove them, but if the rust is not deep, remove them and check for signs water has penetrated, If no signs of serious leakage, replace with SS screws and non-silicone sealant in the hole. If there are no signs of stress at the heads, leave them alone.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Thanks Steve. There doesn't appear to be serious rust issues. It's just the paint has flaked off of some of the screws heads, thus exposing bare metal, thus causing surface rust. I thought about lightly sanding the screw heads with surface rust, then touching them up with a Ford white touchup then applying a clear.
2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Painting the screw head's surface rust is fine, just as long as the screws are intact.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Thanks Larry.
2002 30' IB

Reply #7

Hi NaDaze;  Your 2002 has the same problem as my '99. I believe the motion of air with small sand particles erodes the thin coating of zinc on the factory original screws, allowing surface rust to form. I wish that LD had used stainless steel, but often paint doesn't adhere well to polished stainless.
   Eventually I plan to get stainless screws and finely sand blast the heads and paint them white with the Ford White color.  Then replace the screws (and touch up the paint).
    The wear is mostly the screws under the cabover outside, and along the side roof  toward the ends. Without wind tunnel testing, I suspect air turbulence is worst in those locations.
    So far I've had great luck with a porcelain repair product: The Original Superglue(r) 19061 Porcelain Repair - Electronics - Amazon.com  .  Easy to apply, it is superglue mixed with white Titanium dioxide. I use a small painters brush, (clean with acetone).  I go over the screw heads with a  cotton swab and acetone first.  Then paint over the rust. If you had a Dremel tool wire brush, you could try that first. I didn't want to risk the surrounding paint.  All of the screws appear to be seated ok, and no rust from under the heads. I check for tightness of the screws first before I clean them.  If they are still tight after 20+ years I didn't want to disturb them further just for surface cosmetics.
    I do try to massage the contents of the tube to mix it, The thick part tends to separate, You can't spread it out to mix a quantity. It dries very quickly! just a minute or two. It appears to hold up well to sunlight and weather. One tube goes a long way. I just stick the brush in the tube directly.
   I did replace rusted heads, of the screws holding the roof rack together with stainless. 1/4"x20 I think. About 2" long to reach an embedded nut.
     Good luck.   RonB

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #8
Thanks Ron.
I like your porcelain touch up idea. I think I'll try it. What type of screws do you suggest for the caps?
2002 30' IB

Reply #9

Well, no I didn't want to disturb the screws that are there. None of them were that rusty. So I painted the existing screws that are there.  I'd have to pull one out to find out what size they are.  If I were to replace all of them I would go with truss head SS.  I'll guess that they are #8, about 1" to 1-1/2" long.  An estimate: 100 Qty #8 x 1-1/4" Truss Head 304 Stainless Phillips Head Wood Screws...   Stainless aren't as strong as regular steel, but these aren't stressed so that shouldn't matter.  The screws from the factory could be #10.  Reminder, never never use self drilling screws. They will destroy the threads already set in the wood, sacrifice the integrity of the connection and will usually strip out within days and fail to seal also, letting water into the wood.   RonB

Ok, maybe you meant the screws on the ladder and baggage rack. Caps?  Remove the screws and duplicate in stainless.  RonB

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #10
Thanks Ron!!
2002 30' IB