Skip to main content
Topic: New Tires (Read 552 times) previous topic - next topic
New Tires
It was time.   Yup had to bite the bullet.   And now my wallet is a tad lighter at the tune of $1711.08 dollars.  This year has not been kind to my bank account.   On the bright side, the price was not bad considering the last time I bought new tires was in 2018 at 43445 miles at the price of $1545.00 dollars.  Today's 'deal'  was at 66231 miles and about 5 or so years later. 
Old Tires
Michelin LT 225/75R16 E1 BSW Defender LTX M/S   43445   04/2018   $1,545.00
New tires
Michelin Agilis Cross Climate LT225/75 R16 115R       66231   07/2024   $1,711.08

<smile> and I replaced the original spare from the factory with one of the 'used' tires from the 'old' tire set.

I used Discount Tire.   The tires were dated less than six months old. They are a national chain.  I believe I could get service anyplace in the country.  They did good work the last time around.    They more or less followed my instructions on how to deal with the unique issues of a Lazy Daze RV.   All and all I'm happy.

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Re: New Tires
Reply #1
I had to do tires back in March this year.
The Michelin LTX has been replaced with the Cross Climate.
My tires were 10 years old and I needed 7 with the spare.
My total was $2036 and I also used Discount Tire.
I believe Discount Tire has the best employee training of any company I've used.
Always get a hello, be with you in a minute even when they are swamped, which is almost always.
I like the free air checks as well, nice and easy to get aired up before I hit the road after staying put for months at a time.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #2
Do either of you see improvements with the new model of Michelin tires, like less road noise?
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #3
I did the same replacement a few months ago, on all 7 tires. I have not noticed a noise difference, nor any other difference. Along with the tires, I replaced the internal TST TPMS sensors, the rear dually extended tire stems (one of my Tire Man extenders developed a leak where the tube meets the flange), and the wheel covers. I used the Simi Valley America’s Tires, which is a sister company to Discount Tires. The stems and covers were the ones recommended on prior threads. After programming each into the corresponding position in the TPMS receiver, I put each sensor in a labeled Ziplock bag for each tire. America’s Tire has been great.
2013 27’ Mid-Bath
2005 Honda CR-V

Reply #4
Here in Oregon, we have Les Schwab.   Les Schwab is my go-to company for all things tires, battery, and car alignments.  Their stores generally were not equipped to handle RV's.  So for my RV, I use Discount/America Tire.  Great service for/at either. 

As for road noise and handling -- I'm about 10 miles or so from the tire store.   They, Discount Tire, set the tires to their default of 80 pounds.   I use 70 so I haven't tested the settings I have used in the past.    The tires felt good for the first ten miles (smile).   We will be going on a longer camping trip in a few weeks.  I'll have our normal full load (food, water, cats, and our standard configuration).   I'll have a better report then. 

glen 

ps I guess the price difference is sales tax.   Despite all the attempts of some folks Oregon will never have a sales tax but we now have the privilege of pumping our gas........
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #5
Hi Eric;  I got my new Agilis CrossClimate tires in March of 2021 and I've put on a few thousand miles by now.  They are about the same as the previous set of Michelin Defender.  Maybe a little quieter, and possibly a little better gas mileage.  I don't consider .1 or .2 mpg better enough to matter, and it might have had more to do with an increased circumference (more tread) than anything else.  The sidewalls on the outside still look great after 3 years.
     I changed out my original Firestone tires early due to lots of cracks in the sidewalls at 3-4 years. Also they had been made at the same factory and with the same date codes as the tires involved with that massive recall (Ford Explorer/Firestone) back in 2000.  Ford Explorer-Firestone Tire - The Center for Auto Safety    Even though the tires involved in that were different sizes.  (Fellow members of the LD Caravan club were having multiple blowouts of those same tires/ages. Members of the subgroup Nomads involved were experienced, and meticulous with their tire inflation and care.)
   The Agilis tire maximum inflation are rated 90 psi. I run at about 76 psi in back and 72 in front (cold) with TST 507 external flow through sensors. The spare is a cap sensor and a reliable outside temperature monitor while driving!  Without continually having to check tire pressure with an external gauge, the pressures are much more stable.  One of the most valuable safety modifications I've ever done. Still on the original batteries after 3 years. I carry a replacement set of batteries in the rig. Repeater xmtr in the back window valance for reliable duals readout.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #6
Have the same setup as Ron, had them installed in March 2022, getting ready to replace them with the same in a month after about 40,000 miles, without any issues.   Same flow through sensors, original batteries still, will replace them next month.
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #7
Despite all the attempts of some folks Oregon will never have a sales tax but we now have the privilege of pumping our gas........
I am so glad Oregon finally joined the other 48 that let me pump my own gas. which I can do more quickly than the attendants would, and I never "click-click-click-click" topped off the tank, making it too full; previously, I had ensure I stopped at gas stations on reservations to do that in Oregon. It was a curious situation, with several disparate constituencies in favor of the prohibition, and I never got a coherent explanation from any of them.
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #8
I am so glad Oregon finally joined the other 48 that let me pump my own gas. which I can do more quickly than the attendants would, and I never "click-click-click-click" topped off the tank, making it too full; previously, I had ensure I stopped at gas stations on reservations to do that in Oregon. It was a curious situation, with several disparate constituencies in favor of the prohibition, and I never got a coherent explanation from any of them.
BTW who told you we need to be coherent?  <smile> Real reason for the law ... we  Oregonians don't like getting wet.
 Truth be told nothing has really changed.   By law, there must be at least 50% of full service AND the price must be the same for both.   And self-service can only be available when an attendant is on the job.   
https://www.oregon.gov/osfm/pages/self-serve-fueling.aspx

glen
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #9
BTW who told you we need to be coherent?  <smile> Real reason for the law ... we  Oregonians don't like getting wet.
 Truth be told nothing has really changed.   By law, there must be at least 50% of full service AND the price must be the same for both.   And self-service can only be available when an attendant is on the job.   
https://www.oregon.gov/osfm/pages/self-serve-fueling.aspx
According the link, "In 20 counties, self-serve gas is allowed at all hours. These counties include Baker, Clatsop, Crook, Curry, Gilliam, Grant, Harney, Hood River, Jefferson, Klamath, Lake, Malheur, Morrow, Sherman, Tillamook, Umatilla, Union, Wallowa, Wasco, and Wheeler." No attendant required, and those are counties I'm usually traveling through, in eastern OR. Farmer country, where people know how to do stuff.

Some of the reasons I heard: I don't want to pump my own gas and I don't want to pay extra for someone else to do it; it gives deserving people employment; people can't pump their own gas safely; it's faster if people with training pump it. Sub-sets of the reasons: "not lady-like", "I'm lazy"; "I don't want to stand out in bad weather", and more. I never heard the reasons that started the prohibition on pumping your own gas.
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #10
Most of Eastern Oregon is conservative and have allowed folks to fuel up themselves for a long time now.
It's the small liberal minority that controls how a lot gets done there.
And why some counties in Eastern Oregon are wanting to join Idaho.
And others in the south want a State of Jefferson with counties in Northern California.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #11
Glen, which Discount Tire in the Portland area did you use? We may be in Portland in a few months It’s time for us to get new tires also. Thanks for your info on the specific tires you had put on!

Marti
2011 midbath
Seattle
Marti
2011 Blue MB
Seattle

Reply #12
Marti,
There are 5 or 6 in the area.   I used the one in Gresham.   It's a bit off the freeway but it is easily accessed with an RV from any direction.   The streets in the area can be a bit confusing as several streets from the Portland area converge in the Gresham area. 
I asked ahead of time on the phone for availability and the date of the tire manufacturer.  They had no problem getting the info. <smile> I brought the last six they had in stock.   Once I was there I shared the issues with the LD tire skirts and how to deal with them.

glen

ps so ya crossing the river to save on sales tax are you?
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #13
Thanks Glen! Actually this fall we’re camping for six nights in Oregon so thought we might get new tires on our way home. Appreciate all your info!
Marti
2011 Blue MB
Seattle

Reply #14
Most of Eastern Oregon is conservative and have allowed folks to fuel up themselves for a long time now.
My understanding is the rural self-pumping didn't start until 2018, which doesn't seem that long ago.
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #15
My understanding is the rural self-pumping didn't start until 2018, which doesn't seem that long ago.

For those who don't live in Oregon here is an explanation.
This is a link to the abridged short history the pumping gas change .....
What you need to know about Oregon’s new self-serve gas law - oregonlive.com
If this link doesn't work for you I've included the relevant lines below....

“Patchwork of regulations” simplified
If you’ve driven through a rural Oregon county since 2015, you may have already pumped your own gas. In 2015, the state legalized self-serve gas at night in some rural and coastal counties. It expanded that rule to all rural counties in 2017, and temporarily permitted self-serve gas in Oregon every summer since 2020, due to wildfires and heat waves. The new law would simplify all those rules, legalizing self-serve fuel everywhere in Oregon."

glen
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King