Skip to main content
Topic: Onan Carburetor Replacement (Read 140 times) previous topic - next topic
Onan Carburetor Replacement
I recently had my RV in for it's 85,000 mile check and it was mostly small issues except for fixing the inverter issue that tripped the breaker when I plugged into shore power. 

<snip>Customer states that issue was had with inverter on last trip. Verify wiring, found wiring on outlets to have reversed polarity. Add ATS switch $120 and wiring into general purpose circuit. Roughly 3 hours labor all together. This is will be done as courtesy to resolve any issue related to inverter.

However, I seem to have committed another "cardinal sin" of owning an RV by not exercising the generator.  (Please no shaming as I'm obviously going to learn a significant financial lesson as a result.  Trust me, I'm already beating myself up for being stupid.)

Ironically, I've only used my generator a handful of times in the ten years I've owned my Lazy Daze, and am considering just letting it ride for now.  However, I live in a really hot climate and if I'm dry camping and want to "cool down" the RV I won't be able to do so unless I'm plugged into shore power.

I got a quote to replace the carburetor with an OEM one, but it seems somewhat pricey and the RV repair service doesn't recommend an after market solution.  I tried to contact Cummins by chat this morning, but I don't know the model and number as my RV is in storage several miles away and since I thought this would be a less costly fix the RV service still has my keys with the pass-code gate card attached. 

Thanks in advance for reading and offering helpful solutions...

Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Re: Onan Carburetor Replacement
Reply #1
You can get a supposed OEM carb on eBay for $200.   You can get an aftermarket on Amazon for $35. 

Pay someone 1hr labor to install either, any small engine shop can do it.   Anyone who advertises any sort of mechanical skill can do it.  

You take the risk without warranty or whatever, but man those quoted prices are outrageous. 

A word of caution, the cracked fuel hose problem can easily fool techs who aren’t familiar with lazy daze quirks.   If you aren’t familiar with it, and haven’t had it fixed already, be prepared to have to fix that issue as well

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #2
As Rich stated; my fuel supply hose segment for the generator in my '99 is always suspect, if I have a problem starting my generator. Your '98 should be the same vintage hose. But it might still be working, and could have been replaced already by a previous owner. 
      A friend up the street got 'reamed' for a replacement carb, when actually his main tank was just nearly empty and the generator pickup was above the tank bottom in air.  That is done so you can't run the gasoline tank down to empty by running the generator. With some gas still in the tank, you can drive somewhere to get more gas. He didn't know that.  I suspect his repair company figured that out right away, but maybe not until after the new carb was installed. Major $$$$ in the thousands!
    Even if you had to replace the $30 carb a few times you would be ahead.  A friend with a toy hauler and 55 gallon tank in a trailer; after two years had never put gas in, or replaced the filter! The dregs of the tank was dirt laced sludge. Cleaned with new gas, dumped into a container, new filter in place and generator started. Filter did it's job.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #3
Thanks rich and RonB for the suggestions.  I'm going to hold off for now as I rarely use the generator since I have solar and the air conditioner works fine on shore power.  I only use the microwave to store cookware. 

I'll have someone look into the fuel supply hose issue too.  Thanks!
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V