Skip to main content
Topic: RM3662 is Currently Biting the Dust. Need New Fridge Suggestions (Read 1022 times) previous topic - next topic
RM3662 is Currently Biting the Dust. Need New Fridge Suggestions
While filling my fresh water tank, I heard a hissing sound which I tracked down to my fridge vent. I opened it to see a pool of yellow liquid. At that time I didn't smell ammonia but I opted to turn off the fridge and unplug it.

The hissing continued even after unplugging. It took about 20 mins for it to stop. The pool of yellow is bigger and now beginning to smell of ammonia.

I'm thankful this happened before my Costco trip on Tuesday. I own a small Alipcool AC/DC fridge/freezer I can move some items into.  Since I'm caregiving for my mother I can use some of her freezer space.

My question is, what is the most compatible modern RV fridge that some of you may have upgraded to? I would still like the propane/electric feature. I'd rather replace the whole unit than just the cooling unit unless you all think that is a much better way to go.

When my younger brother's fridge died in his travel trailer (which he normally keeps on a deer lease), he bought a regular small AC fridge from Home Depot. Since he is not full-time and is plugged into electric it works for him. I could do that temporarily but I would lose my propane option.

Below is a pic of the yellow liquid. I also recorded a short video with the hissing sound. Not sure how clear the sound is but here is the link.

Thanks for any help and or suggestions. :-)

My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Re: RM3662 is Currently Biting the Dust. Need New Fridge Suggestions
Reply #1
Just an opinion but replace it with the equivalent current Dometic. I agree with keeping the propane option.

I replaced the cooling unit but it is a lot of work. If you don’t want to do it yourself drive it to Indiana and let them do it.

Home - JC Refrigeration

That would be about $1000 and a trip to Indiana.

Replacing with new is $2500 or so. The fridge is available.

Let is know how you resolved this when you resolve it.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #2
Thanks hbn7hj!

I'm caregiving for 98 and 92-year-olds, so a trip to Indiana is not in the cards right now. If it were possible, I'd have to figure out if the cost of driving there and back from Texas, camping, parts, and labor would be significantly less than purchasing.

Much to think about.

Thanks for the link!
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #3
Camping world has it for around $2300. PPL in Houston has it for around $3300.

Saying they have it and actually being able to come up with it tend to be two different things. Trust but verify!

The JC Refrigeration unit has a reputation of being better quality than Dometic. I find no reason to doubt that reputation.

I agree that adding an electric cooler or two will work as long as you are not moving,

Replacing a complete unit gets you a new cabinet and shelves and new, for other probably well worn parts. Save your old internal parts. They are horribly expensive to buy new if you break something.

That hissing gas leak was hydrogen at 300psi. You missed the fire hazard.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #4
Deb

Advise you to go NEW! Don't fool around with parts replacement on an old unit, life's too short. At least one of your windows are large enough for entry and egress without removing anything besides the screen! All that is needed is an opening that measures 24 inches on a side!  ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #6
Save your old internal parts. They are horribly expensive to buy new if you break something.

That hissing gas leak was hydrogen at 300psi. You missed the fire hazard.

Excellent suggestion on saving parts!

I unplugged it because I've heard many times that most RV fires start in the Fridge.

Thanks again for your great insight!
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #7
Deb

Advise you to go NEW! Don't fool around with parts replacement on an old unit, life's too short. At least one of your windows are large enough for entry and egress without removing anything besides the screen!  ;)

That's my first choice. I'm in the Austin area and there are many mobile techs here. I just have to find the right one. :-)
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #8
If you have solar or would consider non-gas models:

Furrion Chill® Cube RV Rooftop Air Conditioner “New Design”

HOUGHTON AIR CONDITIONER

Truma

All three get high regards from users.  Low noise also on all three.

Ron S

Thanks, Ron!

My Air Conditioner is good for now (it's on nearly 24 hours a day in this Texas heat). If it decides to fail, I'll me your suggestion in mind. :-)
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #9
Dometic has a chart outlining their current suggested replacements for older models.

This chart summarizes that information, and includes a reference for locating a similarly sized Norcold fridge

Dometic Norcold Cross Reference | Dometic Refrigerator Crossover With Norcold

Coming from the RM3662, the current model Dometic replacement is the RM2620:
Dometic RM2620 Refrigerator - Absorption Refrigerator, 6 cu.ft, Right Hinge...

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #10
Thanks, Rich,

That chart is very handy! I don't see a Norcold replacement but I'll take a longer and closer look a bit later.

Unfortunately, the Dometic site says the RM2620 is now discontinued. :-( I will still check to see if there are any still available out in the wild!

Thanks again!
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #11
Unfortunately, the Dometic site says the RM2620 is now discontinued. :-( I will still check to see if there are any still available out in the wild!

Perhaps that chart is out of date?  Here is another chart, direct from Dometic, that suggests the 3762 will fit. 

https://www.gas-refrigerators.com/pdf/dometic-replacement.pdf

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #13
On travel trailer forums many compressors refrigerators are failing and are not properly vented to exhaust the rear heat of the compressor.  The manufacturers are installing them so tightly sealed no air can get out.  Owners are having to install vents inside to allow the heat to dissipate.  Yikes the Manufacturers cannot get anything right.  Indicates a lack of engineering.

I prefer a compressor refrigerator but we always have 120v.  If you remotely camp the gas option would be preferred.  I just hate keeping them level and the smallness of them.  A LD would accommodate a compressor refrigerator with its high and low vents.  One would just need some battery power. 

Ron S
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Reply #14
"Excellent suggestion on saving parts!"

Not necessarily so!
I saved my old, removable, parts only to find that they would not fit in the new box! It's a crap shoot.  ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #15
The problem seems to be getting someone to sell you one. By the way an RM3663 is a 3-way, which I prefer. You might have to upgrade the 12 volt wiring.

As I browse around as if I were buying one I don’t come up with much. Those with stock don’t have a business address or take credit cards. Maybe start with Camping World and allow for 6 month delivery.

Pay Pal vets it’s vendors pretty well and you can drive to a Camping World outlet. Just don’t expect to get it anytime soon.

You could try PPL in Houston by phone. On line they are $1000 higher than Camping World.

Let us know if you actually get someone to deliver.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #16
Hi Harry, My '99 RM3662 is getting up there so I've been watching this thread closely.  My '99 was made by LD to accommodate an electric 12Vdc option, and the wiring (looks like #6) should be capable. I don't know if Debbie's newer 2003 is wired similarly, but it probably is.
    Mine is just a foot or so from the converter/power distribution fuses and LiF batteries. I haven't decided to go with all electric (12v compressor)  or stay with the propane absorption type yet.  I think I'd need another battery if I went compressor. 
    While I have a nearby Camping World, is it really that difficult to obtain a new Dometic RM3762?   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #17
"Maybe start with Camping World and allow for 6 month delivery."

Caveat Emptor! Let the buyer beware!

My personal experience with Camping World is less than stellar. Hit and miss... some times good and other times not! Also depends on location and experience and skills of the installers (not comfortable in describing them as 'Technicians').  ::)  >:(
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #18
Thanks everyone. I'll be on the phone Wednesday trying to track something down. I'll report my progress.

In the meantime, I've ordered a second larger (22 Liter) ac/dc fridge made by BougeRV (arriving today). I'm plugged into electric but I also have couple of Bluetti Power Banks if I need them.

I'll be living like a VanLifer for a while. ;-)
My wheels:
2003 MB
2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply #19
I'm caregiving for 98 and 92-year-olds, so a trip to Indiana is not in the cards right now. I
A little off topic, but you're a special person to be a care-giver.  I hope your issue gets resolved inexpensively and quickly...
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Reply #20
    While I have a nearby Camping World, is it really that difficult to obtain a new Dometic RM3762?   RonB

I think it is and Deb is going to be doing us all a favor by relating her results. I bought a fridge (RM2354) from PPL in Houston with excellent results years ago. It took over six months to get a Dometic A/C from them several years ago and the marketing manager finally had to scour the US to get one shipped to me. You need an official Dometic dealer with a storefront. Forget Ebay. You just need a vendor large enough to stand behind the order when Dometic doesn’t deliver.

I don’t know why there is a problem.

Wander down to Camping World or any other legitimate Dometic dealer and see what you come up with. At the same time hit the net with a serious intent to buy. If I had a 25 year old fridge I’d order a replacement fridge and store it. Check the replacement’s dimensions. Some of them are 5 1/2 inches taller.

I am very happy with JC Refrigeration but it is a lot of work. Instant delivery and “Amish” quality, whatever that is. I would seriously consider driving to Indiana and let them put it in for $150. I have their compressor conversion stored away.

Similarly try getting Onan’s new 4k inverter generator. Absolutely unobtanium but a net dealer promises 3 week delivery.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #21
You folks are making me consider driving to Indiana from Cleveland, Ohio to have a cooling unit preemptively installed in my 2003!

Steve K
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #22
I've often wondered why so many new RVs come with 12v fridges, even when the rig is advertised as off-grid and doesn't have the battery or solar capacity to run them.

Maybe the manufacturers just can't buy enough absorption refrigerators.

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #23
In 2020 I replaced the failed Spendide washer-dryer in the Class A with a new unit. Camping World sent me two- both arrived so broken that they couldn't be used. Refunds were slow, but CW was OK during the process.

It's not necessarily CW's fault that the units arrived broken. The manufacturer made a poor decision to package the 150-pound unit on a styrofoam "skid," rather than a pallet.

I moved my order to PPL, for a bit more money. I requested they ship on a pallet. The first time they sent me the incorrect model, but the second time the correct unit arrived in great shape.

The above is just background for this: The PPL folks were some of the nicest people I've spoken with in the RV-distributor world. They went the extra mile to be sure I was happy. If they've stayed that way (it's been four years), I wouldn't hesitate to order a large appliance from them, even if they are more expensive.

There's only one other RV-distributor that has consistently come through for me, and that's Dyer's RV.

As said often on this forum: "Your mileage may vary."

Mark H.
Former owner, 31-foot gas Class A
Former owner, 1997-8 mid-bath

Reply #24
Thanks everyone. I'll be on the phone Wednesday trying to track something down. I'll report my progress.

In the meantime, I've ordered a second larger (22 Liter) ac/dc fridge made by BougeRV (arriving today). I'm plugged into electric but I also have couple of Bluetti Power Banks if I need them.

I'll be living like a VanLifer for a while. ;-)

How about a Norcold 2175 - It is a 12 volt fridge.  Top fridge and bottom pull out freezer. Runs only on 12 volt, 6.2CF, around $2200, 7 amp draw, claims can run on single battery charge for 25 hours.

Norcold N2175 – 6.2 cubic feet 12v Energy Efficient RV Refrigerator
https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/N2000_US_UM_20210325.pdf

Cutout Dimensions Listed   
Vent Rough Opening   Weight (lb) 84.9
H x W x D (in)   
49-13/64 x 20-45/64 x 23-45/64   

They are installed on the Escape E23 Fiberglass TT

Ron S
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan