Skip to main content
Topic: Gray & Black tank cleaning (Read 966 times) previous topic - next topic
Gray & Black tank cleaning
I remember seeing posted here a while ago about cleaning black and gray tanks with enzymes. We are getting back to the hot weather now which was suggested to be the best time enzyme treatments to clean tanks. What's recommended as a good cleaning enzyme for black and gray tanks.  In the past in the PNW we never had this opportunity but now while we're here in Reno, it's hot so I think it's time!

Karen~Liam
      98 ~MB
        NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Re: Gray & Black tank cleaning
Reply #1
This doesn't really address your question but imo there is no need to ever clean the black or gray tanks. In our case, when we dump the black, we flush down a pail of water and after dumping. Then we add another pail of water along with some Dawn and Calgon. The tank remains clean. A few years ago I was able to verify this when I had to remove our black tank because of a leak. I examined the inside and it was clean as a whistle.

Regarding odor, if the air admittance valves are functioning and the P-traps are full, there should not be any odor emanating from either tank.

The smaller tank on the right was our black tank. That's the one I examined.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #2
There’s few if any RV topics that have so many diverse recommendations.  The retail solutions make lots of money with the promise of tanks so clean that they smell like roses.  Similarly home brew solutions are touted as less expensive and better than anything you can buy.  Plus these solutions smell like daisies 😂.

I haste to offer any recommendations because…well it’s a question without a preferred solution.  And that’s my .02!

Reply #3
"...there is no need to ever clean the black or gray tanks."

Can't say that I agree with that!

Regardless of whether you have INTERIOR or EXTERNAL (like SeeLevel) tank sensors, the effluent in the tank will build up a ring of debris at the typical 'high water' mark. This ring of crud can play havoc with the monitor, leading to false readings. Been there, done that!

And that is why we have been using an enzyme product called Eco Save at every dump. Those hungry little critters will eat that crud and help assure reliable level readings.

Eco-Save Bacteria/Enzyme Products are manufactured by JWH Distributing in...
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
Our LD holding tanks get flushed well every summmer and then each tank gets a good dose of septic enzymes and fully filled with fresh water . It sits for a week  or more in the summer heat.
It is amazing how much crud comes out of a ‘clean’ tank
when drained.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Well, guys. All I gotta say is my empty black tank which I used the same method on for a number of years didn't have any ring or any crud inside and I never have had any SeeLevel tank reading issues. That Dawn-Calgon deal used to be called the Geo method and it has served me well. However, Ed is right. This topic always stirs up the .... As on old poster from the past used to end every post, Do what makes you happy!
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #6
Well, guys. Thistopic always stirs up the .... As on old poster from the past used to end every post, Do what makes you happy!

Goes to show that there is more than one way to clean the tanks.

Larry

Larry

Reply #7
Larry what enzymes do you use?

Karen~Liam
      98 ~MB
         NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #8
We will be leaving our 98~MB in Reno for the next few weeks so we could fill it with the enzymes and let it cook!
Can't do that up in the PNW!

Karen~Liam
     98 ~ MB
        NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze

Reply #9
Hey yall
Can someone tell me the recipe for the calgon/dawn black tank cleaner.
I have heard that it works very well and I'd like to try it.
Really appreciate this forum!
Thanks,
Cal

2002 MidBath

Reply #10
Hey yall

A company called Kleen Tank does RV black and gray tank cleaning, and has distributors in various locations.  EnjoyTheJourney.Life YouTube channel has a video on RV Products That Damage Your RV! Black & Grey Tank Cleaning Myths
They recommend NOT using enzyme additives that break down the contents.  The representative says that it does break down the waste, but makes a "sludge" that turns your holding tank into a septic tank.   They have a recipe for tank cleaner, but it uses Calgon bath pearls and PineSol cleaner.  Here's the suggested tank cleaning recipe
Kleen Tank has dealers where you can have your tanks cleaned (I think it's $275), or are present at various RV rallies (usually $250). 
I've actually switched from using Happy Camper to this recipe. 
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Reply #11

We don't even measure anymore but probably a cup of Calgon and a big squirt of Dawn followed by a half bucket of water. This method will not clean a tank with built up residue but if you do this at every dump your tank will remain clean. And as I said in another post, if your plumbing is in order (functioning air admittance valves and full P-traps) you will never experience the stinky coach syndrome! In my opinion, the thing to remember is these waste tanks are not septic tanks, they are just temporary holding tanks. Good luck.
jor
* Forgot to add, after the black is empty, we flush down a pail of water and then close the valve (this rig has separate valves for black and gray.
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #12

As an owner of 2014 TK we have never 'cleaned' either the gray or black tank.  What we do is every three or four 'dumpings' we do a visual clean.   The person with the water (clean out) hose cleans with a strong flow of water moving the hose all around and up and down.   The person on the dump station side watches the clear elbow.   When the water flow is clear all is good.

This method has worked very well over the years.

glen

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #13
We don't even measure anymore but probably a cup of Calgon and a big squirt of Dawn followed by a half bucket of water.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Could you post a link to the exact type of calgon you use? I appreciate any help you can provide.
Sam

Reply #14
Kleen Tank (formerly known as All Pro Water Flow) tank solution that treats your black and gray RV tanks.

To make a batch of the Calgon PineSol Solution, mix up a gallon of this solution to use in both the black and gray tanks. It will keep the internal surfaces of your RV’s holding tanks slippery (reduces build-up), sanitizes the tanks, and has a nice, fresh smell.

1. Start with an empty gallon jug
2. Pour 1/4 cup (4 ounces) of Calgon Bath Beads (or liquid) into the gallon jug
3. Fill the jug 1/2 full with water. Shake well.
4. Slowly pour 40 ounces of PineSol into the jug. Shake well.
5. Top off the gallon jug with water. Shake well.
Use 8 ounces (one cup) in your black tank(s) and 4 ounces (1/2 cup) in your gray tank(s) each time, after emptying and back-flushing.

Note:  Many experts advise AGAINST using Dawn dish detergent as the build up of the bubbles can create a film over the sensors. 

Calgon and PineSol are readily available at your local Wal*Mart...
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Reply #15
Could you post a link to the exact type of calgon you use?

Same stuff as Cheryl just posted. Never had any bubble trouble!!!  :D  :D
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #16
Aww, I came back to this group out of nostalgia, having sold my LD many years ago, and it's hilarious to see this topic persist!  I used a cupful of Calgon water softener and dish detergent. It's not available in areas with naturally soft water, such as most of the Northeast, but it's right there on supermarket shelves in other places. Or, of course, through Amazon. 

Reply #17
and it's hilarious to see this topic persist!

Yea, Joanne, it always generates a lot of passion, right up there with tire pressures!!!  :D
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #18
Our LD holding tanks get flushed well every summmer and then each tank gets a good dose of septic enzymes and fully filled with fresh water . It sits for a week  or more in the summer heat.
It is amazing how much crud comes out of a ‘clean’ tank
when drained.

Larry

+1

I just tried this (using Bio-Clean) and it worked great.  My black tank sensor is no longer stuck on 2/3.

2003 MidBath

Reply #19
+1

I just tried this (using Bio-Clean) and it worked great.  My black tank sensor is no longer stuck on 2/3.

The inside of the holding tanks can develop coatings that interfere with the sensor probes. Enzyme and/or bacteria treatments digest the coasting and turn them into a liquid, doing the same jobs as bacteria in a septic system tank.
It takes time to digest a well-coated tank, best to do it in the summer, when it is hot, speeding up the microbe’s work.

Another method of cleaning the tanks is to drive a good distance with a partially filled tank, adding several ounces of dish or washing machine detergent to each tank.
Installing holding tank flushers is a good idea.

Camco Tornado Rotary Tank Rinser
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-Tornado-Rotary-Rinser/dp/B000BUU5TU/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1ZQWNYLIU9YG6&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9._vbIS6Ik9TLIM7IGHyQSRf7gZzEn-6a2mx01C-omhj1BauC5XQt9i6l0hOOXyH9XPmpYGWBAkUCNif7L4lxyav53sOUoASwnVwSTQ1vocdrSKbaXi-iRpuWgcraOd57JvlqgiGvG9xZlOXRBk0HoSQOqdFo6kBtT0L1yiix3gytxE97Js2MwAESByJCLVTF9TVP77AlCc5nPtD9N-KXYO-1oY4ATPDO8kpAe2-RYfq_nIUoe59U4UyUwiGYeUM04I62l18SOpdpbof2DPdm7BSbDuzdQ3g7nIvg2nnksFE8.TfLBvXhK6B3DwPw6n9K11pff5McUE6MLvy3D8moF1sQ&dib_tag=se&keywords=camco+tornado+rv+black+tank+flush&qid=1723075815&sprefix=camco+black+in-tank+flush%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-5

Larry
Larry

Reply #20
Larry,

Where does the other side of that valve go?
1999 MB, 7.3L PowerStroke

Reply #21
Where does the other side of that valve go?

The quick-disconnect inlet is where the hose, with a matching quick-disconnect fitting, is connected.
The two-way valve directs water to either the black or gray tank's flusher..
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-Heavy-Duty-Metal-Quick-Connect-Set-with-Automatic-Shut-Off-Hose-Fitting-Connector-27942/100659315

Larry
Larry

Reply #22

We have a Valterra 45 Degree Hydroflush for a long time now and have used it whenever possible.  We are now planning on getting a Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve to add to our dumping procedure so we can fill flush when we flush, if a water hose port is available.  There is also a combination unit called the Valterra Flush King 45 Degree Reverse Flush Valve but we already have the flush unit.  We used to fill the black tank for flushing with toilet water but that was a long procedure.  We are hoping that with this flush setup it will go a lot faster and now everything will happen outside by the valves.

Karen~Liam
         98 ~ MB
            NinA

T-58
Amazon.com: Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve, Mess-Free Waste Valve for...

Hydro Flush
Amazon.com: Valterra 45 Degree Hydroflush Attachment with Removable Anti-Siph...

Flush King
Amazon.com: Valterra Flush Kingâ„¢ 45 Degree Reverse Flush Valve Attachment...

1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze

Reply #23
We have a Valterra 45 Degree Hydroflush for a long time now and have used it whenever possible.  We are now planning on getting a Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve to add to our dumping procedure so we can fill flush when we flush

A Hydroflush is a must-have accessory for a Mid-Bath. The black tank suffers from waste build-up near the dump valve sometimes to the point where the black tank drains slowly or not at all.

A Hyroflush does a good job of cleaning the tank and of keeping its full capacity, it works well on any dump valve with a straight shot into the tank. It does not work well on gray tanks with long pipe runs between the tank and dump valve. An in-tank flusher works best in this situation.

Larry
Larry