Skip to main content
Topic: Recent AGM chassis battery not holding charge (Read 147 times) previous topic - next topic
Recent AGM chassis battery not holding charge
I replaced my chassis battery recently with an AGM battery with similar specs. as the original battery.  Around the time of the battery replacement, it would no longer hold a charge.  After a few days it will be completely dead.  My questions are:
1.). Is it a bad battery?
2.) Is there a problem with the alternator in my 2001 LD?  Is it incapable of correctly charging an AGM battery, or any battery?
3.) Is the voltage regulator/alternator faulty, and needs replacement?

Thanks for your help solving this problem!
Steve
2001 26.5 Rear Bath

Re: Recent AGM chassis battery not holding charge
Reply #1
If after jump-starting the engine runs and drives fine, not likely the alternator. With the battery charged, disconnect the negative terminal and check it a few days later. If it has lost charge significantly, it is bad. Else you likely have 'phantom load' on the battery draining it, and you will need to track that down.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Re: Recent AGM chassis battery not holding charge
Reply #2
Measure voltage of the battery before starting the engine.  Start the engine.  Measure the voltage of the battery with engine running.  If the voltage is higher with the engine running the battery is being charged.  Battery may be bad or check for phantom loads.  If not, alternator might be bad. 

Ron S
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan