Skip to main content
Topic: Blue Sky 3000i problem (Read 375 times) previous topic - next topic
Blue Sky 3000i problem
Maybe someone has seen this before…

System consists of 4 Battleborn 100Ahr LiFePo batteries, 4 100 W solar panels in parallel, and  Blue Sky 3000i solar charge controller configured for Lithium batteries. One afternoon I saw SoC was 78%, having been 80% a few hours earlier. Clear sky in May should have been producing large charging current, but SoC was actually decreasing instead.

The 3000i was showing 0.1 A output current. That’s not right! I removed the solar fuse at the DC distribution center, then reinstalled it. The output current now is > 16 A, which is more like it. I don’t know if removing and restoring the output connection to the controller is effectively a power cycle, but it seemed to cause the controller to reset and start properly charging.

Has anyone had a similar experience, or know more? I had no success with a forum search or googling.
2013 27’ Mid-Bath
2005 Honda CR-V

Re: Blue Sky 3000i problem
Reply #1
Hi Keith;  Is that fuse controlling power to the R3000i? Or is it just for the current from the PV panels.  In my system there is no way to interrupt power from the PV's, although they do have a fuse up on the roof.  I have a 50A. circuit breaker within easy reach, that shuts off power to the R3000i, essentially that does a reset on the controller.  I haven't had quite the same problem that you describe,
      But I do remember one time that the batteries shut off. I credit this to the built in BMS's.  The coach was surviving on the solar input, and the batteries just went idle.  I ran the microwave for a few minutes and that got the batteries to turn back on. Before they shut off, the SOC was at 99%.
      Your Battleborn BMS's may act differently.  But it might not be the solar panel controller.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
I don’t believe the batteries were involved in any way. The fuse is on the output of the solar controller, but the manual says the controller gets its power from the batteries, which is the output side. After removing the fuse, it seems like it would continue to power itself as long as the sun shines. Hmmm. Maybe I didn’t truly power cycle it after all. But it did start behaving itself when I reinstalled the fuse.

Today the SoC remained at 98% all day. Should have met the criteria for 100% it seems to me. I am suspecting the solar controller now.
2013 27’ Mid-Bath
2005 Honda CR-V

Reply #3
Hi Keith;  There were many ways to re-program the SB3000i. You might want to see if any variables are what you expect them to be.  RonB

Reply #4
I agree with Ron. I assume you are reading SOC on a battery monitor, not the solar controller. Double check all settings on both to ensure correct charging and readings, particularly the battery monitor. Charge Efficiency or Peukert's may be incorrect for the lithiums.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
Steve Reminded me of a problem I had initially with my BalMar SG-200 battery monitor.  I initialized with my two lead acid batteries for that 2021 trip to the ABQ Balloon Fiesta. When I got home, the SOH showed I was at 76% battery efficiency. For every 100 WH I put into the batteries I was getting only 76 WH out. 75% was the threshold to get new batteries. So I got two 200AH LiF batteries.
    At the onset I was getting strange results on the BalMar. I had forgotten to 'wipe' the memory to tell the monitor that I no longer had lead acid batteries. Instructions weren't clear on how to change that. Once reconfigured for LiFePO4, All was well. I still always get a SOH of 96%. I don't know if that is a built in setting, or an actual measurement. But 4% transformation loss is good.
   When I got to Morro Bay in 2022 with hastily installed batteries/panels I couldn't understand why I had no current out of my solar array at 9:00 AM with good sunlight. I reprogrammed the R3000i from instructions on the web. Still no luck. Then I realized that the batteries were at 100% and had shut off charging. I didn't have enough usage to draw any current out of the panels.        RonB

Reply #6
The 3000i resumed functioning after removing and replacing the inline fuse in the Power Center.
The fuse could be dirty and corroded and not make a good connection.
Renewing the fuse and its connections would be the first place I would start.
What size is the fuse? Has it been replace with a fuse larger than 20 amp?

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
RonB
This winter I installed a SOK 280ah Lithium battery. I also have a Balmar battery monitor. It has always said SOH 96% with the new battery. Something with the SOK and Balmar combo I guess.
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #8
I report the SoC as shown on the Magnum ARC display, which uses the Magnum BMK shunt to totalize net Amp-Hr out minus Amp-Hr in.
I checked the 3000i settings and found float voltage was set to 13.2 V when it should be 13.4 V.
The solar output was running around 18.8 A, which surprised me a little, since the fuse is only 15 A. Sure enough, the fuse shortly blew. Replaced with a larger fuse. Which leads to the question of wire size from panels to solar controller, and controller to DC power center. Larry and others have recommended upgrading wire size, but I am not crazy about piercing the black tank vent pipe for running wires. I may accept the efficiency penalty of not upsizing the wire. I need to assess if there is a fire safety issue.
2013 27’ Mid-Bath
2005 Honda CR-V

Reply #9
Hi Keith;  Fire isn't an issue unless you run 100 Amps through a #16 wire. (just kidding)  The only penalty is that some of the power you could have realized is lost in the wiring. Mostly these losses only happen when you have maximum sunlight, current and low batteries. Normally at low currents, the losses are less too.
    I certainly wouldn't run any wiring under any circumstance through a black tank vent pipe. That is a 'last resort' thing and better ways exist for running wires.   Drill a hole in the ceiling, miss the studs/rafters, put in a double or single Bell box and seal it properly. Exit a schedule 80 pvc nipple into a cabinet and run the wires.
    The Midbath has the refrigerator just above the battery box. You can run the wiring through a 'J' box next to the refrigerator vent beside the refrigerator (avoid the boiler tube) and through a cabinet and into the battery box vicinity.
     Tim (T&F) should have some pictures of his 1200 Watt solar install, 3x 206 AH SOK batteries and 3KW Multiplus Victron inverter on a MidBath.    RonB

Reply #10
I’m missing something. The 3000i solar controller is on the end of the over-sink cabinet above the folding counter top. The roof to battery box path isn’t the obstacle, since the controller isn’t in that path. “That path” being from panels on the roof, to controller, to + bus. The factory uses the DC Power Center as the + bus junction point. As you imply, the inter-battery cables in the battery compartment could be used as an alternate + bus junction, but the controller needs to be in the path from panels to batteries.
2013 27’ Mid-Bath
2005 Honda CR-V

Reply #11
I report the SoC as shown on the Magnum ARC display, which uses the Magnum BMK shunt to totalize net Amp-Hr out minus Amp-Hr in.

Not familiar with this battery monitor, but any model that will function properly with LFP batteries MUST have adjustable or auto-setting by algorithm of both Peukert and charge efficiency, or it will give incorrect readings. Efficiency is unrelated to cable sizing, but undersized cables will lose power as heat.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #12
Not familiar with this battery monitor, but any model that will function properly with LFP batteries MUST have adjustable or auto-setting by algorithm of both Peukert and charge efficiency, or it will give incorrect readings. Efficiency is unrelated to cable sizing, but undersized cables will lose power as heat.

Battleborn provided technical information over the phone when I called to find the correct settings for the 3000i and the Link battery monitor. I would call them for their recommendations on what settings to use for your devices.
As expensive as their batteries are, they should have good customer service.

LD usually provides 10-gauge wiring coming from the solar panels to the solar controller, which is adequate for 200 watts of panels.
400 watts of solar panels need heavier wiring to prevent loss from excessive voltage drop. When upgrading panels and batteries, various wiring and fusing need upgrading for maximum charging efficiency.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #13
Not familiar with this battery monitor, but any model that will function properly with LFP batteries MUST have adjustable or auto-setting by algorithm of both Peukert and charge efficiency, or it will give incorrect readings.
No need to set Peukert parameters, as they do not apply to LFP batteries. That's a good feature!

Eric
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #14
No need to set Peukert parameters, as they do not apply to LFP batteries. That's a good feature!

Eric
The value is about 1 for LFP, but about 1.25 for flooded cell. If your battery monitor KNOWS these are LFP batteries, then it will set that. Since I am not familiar with this model, I do not know what you have set to inform the type of battery. Charge efficiency is apparently adjusted in the default 'auto' mode, but that cannot adjust for discharge INefficiency.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit