Skip to main content
Topic: Fogged windows (Read 288 times) previous topic - next topic
Fogged windows
Hi All—new owner of 2007 23 1/2 Twin King.    Can’t get over the quality of this unit after 30 years on the road and owning 14 other brands.  New to us coach has fogged windows.  Every window with the exception of the one over the kitchen is badly fogged.  Having had this problem before, I know it is common.  Is this true for the Lazy Daze or is my coach the exception.  Anyway, what to do?  I am in New Jersey for the summer and looking for solutions to restore that beautiful, big and panoramic view!   Thanks for any and all suggestions.
2007 'TK 24'

Re: Fogged windows
Reply #1
Unfortunately, this issue applies to all models 2003 and on. Repair is expensive, as each window must be removed, disassembled, cleaned and resealed professionally by a trained glass shop, and this seems to be hard to find everywhere. We have elected to live with it, as it seems to be most noticeable when the sun hits at a shallow angle, and tolerable most of the time. Do a search in the group to find what others have done.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yeah, it’s a bit of a bummer since the large windows are one of the selling points of Lazy Daze motorhomes.  Even our 2017 is experiencing this issue but, like Steve said, we just live with it. This is a problem that we didn’t have in the older LD’s but they had other issues, so . . .
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
I have it on my 2011. The windows are only fogged on the screen side. We might go west to Oregon to get them fixed. $600 per window is quite a bit of money.
2011 RK

Reply #4
There are many shops that do this repair. $600 per window is WAY out of line. I paid to have five windows done at RV Solutions in Phoenix years ago. They are nation-wide (RVSolutions) and I did seven myself as a pandemic project. I used a Dave Root repair kit (DaveRoot). The process is pretty straightforward. A simple description:

* Remove window;
* Separate glass from frame;
* Separate the two glass panes;
* Clean and put back together;
* Seal
* Reassemble glass to frame;
* Reinstall.

It's kind of a big project but it's a lot of fun too. RV Solutions allowed me to watch them doing the work. Pretty interesting to see how quick and efficient the pros are.

My side windows in the back have it on the screen side. Interestingly, the fog mirrors the screen footprint. Good luck.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #5
Unfortunately, this issue applies to all models 2003 and on.
Steve
I was thinking they switched windows later on to one that didn't fog. Just searched again the other day to see what years had this issue and couldn't fine what I was looking for.   We have a 1999 and if I ever decided to buy a newer one I wanted to avoid those years that fog. Looks like I will keep the 1999.

Is it my understanding that some people have avoided them fogging and that might be by avoiding bumps?
Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #6
OK, all those with fogged windows gather at Jor's house.  I'm sure that if we started an assembly line, we could get pretty efficient at it!  ;)
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #7
I have it on my 2011. The windows are only fogged on the screen side. We might go west to Oregon to get them fixed. $600 per window is quite a bit of money. 

Coburg, OR?  We called RV Solutions and unfortunately, their Phoenix shop no longer does repairs, apparently just a warehouse for them.  Their Oregon facility is the closest to us (a mere 1400+ miles...).  And $600/window, we might just live with it as it really isn't that bad...

Man, they sure are proud of their window cleaning!
Bill
2006 24’ TK
570 watts solar, 300Ah lithium
SKP Lifetime member #105622
Land of Enchantment

Reply #8
Pro RV in Colleyville Texas charges $800 to $1000 per window.   Todd Miller will sell the rear side windows for $1400 which includes shipping.   (This is for the 2 sections of one window.)   If one is not handy, then expect to pay a premium price for installation.   🥺

Reply #9
I am stunned at these prices! Just crazy. I would guess a pair of experienced guys with a table, jig and tools could remove, repair and replace a two pane sliding window in less than two hours, probably more like an hour and a half. If I end up doing mine I'll document it well.
jor

UPDATE: Found my note from when I got my work done at RV Glass Solutions in 2012. I guess things have just gone up and up in 12 years! Here it is:

Size or which window does not matter.
$340 for one glass and $440 for both
$1,360 or $1,760

Takes 2 days, stay in coach
Warranty is 2 years.

Here's a few photos of the work done there. Took one day.
jor

09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #10
Jor … I’d like to encourage you to repair and report on fogged windows.  I certainly would think that someone who could do these repairs might be busy.

As a footnote, Dr. Fog in Arkansas has an excellent reputation for these kinds of repairs.  However, after tackling a few Lazy Daze windows they refused to work on them anymore. 

Reply #11
However, after tackling a few Lazy Daze windows they refused to work on them anymore.

Now this is interesting. I wonder if the size of those rear room windows has something to do with it. The other windows are run of the mill.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #12
I talked to an acquaintance who has been in the glass business for years and his opinion is that this should be within the realm of a capable DIYer if you are patient and the glass does not need to be replaced.  

You basically need to split the window using a razor, try and save the spacer between the windows, clean thoroughly, and then reassemble carefully with new sealant.   Reassembly would include attaching the sealer to one side, letting it dry, cleaning up the caulk, and then sealing the second side.    Use clamps.  

His advice was to let the first side dry for a week or so before sealing the second side and than wait another week after gluing the second side before reinstalling. 

After talking with him, I'm inclined to try the advice and kit here when I get the time.   High-Quality Products for Foggy Window Repair on RVs

Rich
2003 MB