Skip to main content
Topic: Carrying a Scooter (Read 857 times) previous topic - next topic
Carrying a Scooter
I had no plans on getting a scooter but my neighbor gave me such a good deal that I couldn’t resist!  I thought it would be nice to be able to take this on some of our local campouts instead of the toad. I know that some of you have scooters– any suggestions for a rack that attaches to the receiver on the LD?  This is a Yamaha Riva 200, 125cc scooter. Not sure of its weight.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Re: Carrying a Scooter
Reply #2
Thanks for that, Larry. I literally just bought it this afternoon and hadn't had a chance to research it.
It's actually this one and the weight is not shown but I suspect it's similar:

https://www.ultimatespecs.com/motorcycles-specs/yamaha/yamaha-riva-200-1986
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
You want to find a carrier that is rated for RVs, as the sway & bouncing around on a RV puts more stress on the carrier than if it’s mounted on a car/truck.  Same goes for bicycles, especially e-bikes.

Example, but I have no idea about it’s quality:

RV Motorcycle Carrier | Black Widow
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #4
I've been carrying a small dual sport motorcycle on the back of my LD for 16 years now.
I decided to have a rack made. One that uses a couple of attachment points that the shop added.
It's rock solid back there, my bike weighs about 285 lbs As a bonus, when the bike is off it makes
a great place to put the grille.

Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #5
I've been carrying a small dual-sport motorcycle on the back of my LD for 16 years now.
I decided to have a rack made. One that uses a couple of attachment points that the shop added.
It's rock solid back there, my bike weighs about 285 lbs As a bonus, when the bike is off it makes

Having a rack with two or more receivers is the way to go when carrying anything heavy on the back bumper, as the one you had built. Single receiver racks rock and wobble unless additional supports are added, such as eyebolts and turnbuckles.
When the rack is mounted you will not be able to tow your Subaru.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
"Having a rack with two or more receivers is the way to go"

Agreed! I've been passed by RVs that had a motorcycle or other heavy object mounted on a single-receiver rack, and watching it tilt from side to side was rather horrifying. Of course the drivers probably had no way of knowing how dangerous the situation was. I kept well away from those rigs--I didn't want to be following when the whole thing broke off and dropped on the highway!
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
Greg,
You may recall that Cyndy and I often bring our motorcycle on our Lazy Daze trips, and will be doing so again in June for a three week trip to the PNW.
After 166,000 miles on BMW motorcycles (I ride other brands also, but BMW keeps a record), I hope you are consistently wearing All The Gear All The Time (ATGATT)! Motorcycle and scooter getoffs are never planned and always unpleasant.   Wearing protective gear is essential. I frequently tell people that I’d rather buy hide than grow it.
Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life

Reply #8
"I’d rather buy hide than grow it."

Amen! Every time I see a rider in shorts and sneakers, I think "Road rash!"
Andy Baird

Reply #9
Riding gear is a must have. Unfortunately not all of us wear “effective” clothing while riding.

Before purchasing our LD, I rode my Mountain Unicycle around. Always geared up. When I was a teen, I wasn’t aware of such things. Fortunately, back then, I had better balance and a smaller brain.

When on rougher terrain, I always ware all of my protective gear needed to come home injury free. Sitting about 40” off the ground on my Muni and traveling at about 6 mph can cause some bodily damage. That’s not something I wish to experience at my age. May be one reason I haven’t ridden it in a long time. Unicyclists call falling UPD’s. Unplanned Dismounts. 🤯

It’s been a long time since I’ve had my M-Uni in Yosemite. Perhaps it’s time to load it on the LD for another ride.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #10
Thanks for everyone’s input. I was thinking I could just use a single hitch rack but your advice tells me otherwise.  Larry, do you have more specifics on the eyebolt and turnbuckle method you mentioned?

I do need to get some gear as all I have now are two helmets that my neighbor gave me.  I used to have a set of full gear back when I was a regular rider/ commuter but got rid of it all when I sold my last bike. Thanks for the admonishment!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #11
"Before purchasing our LD, I rode my Mountain Unicycle around. "

Wow, cool! I didn't know there was such a thing. I rode a unicycle back in the 60s, but haven't since then.
Andy Baird

Reply #12

"all I have now are two helmets that my neighbor gave me."

And they're really just "half helmets," from the looks of that photo.  Take a bad fall while wearing one of those, and you could wind up with no lower jaw... or worse. If it were me, I wouldn't use anything less than a full face helmet.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird

Reply #13
I've been carrying a small dual sport motorcycle on the back of my LD for 16 years now.

Jota, could you post some photos of the underside of your hitch modification, something I could show a fabricator shop?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #14
Greg. I don't have any very detailed photos of the installation.
Any good fabricator can add a couple of 2" hitch mounts.
This is the only low photo I have.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #15
No problem, thanks!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #16
Greg, if you (on this site) go to:
Media>Albums>Jon&Loni>Albatross
you’ll find photos of our custom rack for our 346 lb Vespa.  Two Box tubes were welded to the frame rails of our TK. The rack had smaller tubes that slid into the extensions. Worked great for the 10 years we carried it. No rocking. Rack could be removed by sliding out from the box tubes. There was a lock that prevented theft or “self-movement.”  — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #17
Greg, if you (on this site) go to:
Media>Albums>Jon&Loni>Albatross
you’ll find photos of our custom rack for our 346 lb Vespa.  Two Box tubes were welded to the frame rails of our TK. The rack had smaller tubes that slid into the extensions. Worked great for the 10 years we carried it. No  :-X rocking.
Rack could be removed by sliding out from the box tubes. There was a lock that prevented theft or “self-movement.”  — Jon
2009 Kodiak 32 foot Island Bed

Reply #18
"Having a rack with two or more receivers is the way to go"

Agreed! I've been passed by RVs that had a motorcycle or other heavy object mounted on a single-receiver rack, and watching it tilt from side to side was rather horrifying. Of course the drivers probably had no way of knowing how dangerous the situation was. I kept well away from those rigs--I didn't want to be following when the whole thing broke off and dropped on the highway!
Agreed.  I also stay away from TT with bikes swaying on the back.  That is an accident waiting to happen. 

Ron S
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Reply #19
Does anyone have pictures on how this kind of bike rack double hitch structure can be added to the 26' Lazy Daze?

I can see how it can be done on a shorter LD, but on mine, main Ford's chassis rails don't extend as far as the rear bumper. The extension (about 6 feet) is made of a way smaller rails. I don't know how much weight they can carry.
I was hoping to carry something under 300lb on it.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Mike with a 26.5 2001 MidBath

Reply #20
Welcome to the Forum, VISAVIS88!  Is that your real name? 😉 That’s a good point on the differences in model lengths. Those that have chimed in on this subject so far have had the shorter models, although I think Andy may have had a front motorcycle rack on his MB, and Harold uses a trailer.  I’ll continue to follow this thread . . .
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #21
I can see how it can be done on a shorter LD, but on mine, main Ford's chassis rails don't extend as far as the rear bumper. The extension (about 6 feet) is made of a way smaller rails. I don't know how much weight they can carry.

ALL models have the frame extension, so it is the same issue. Any good solutions you see here will be worth considering.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #22
Hi VisaVis88;  Welcome to the FOLD (Fellowship Of Lazy Daze) owners.  It would help if we knew which year and chassis of LD you own. Construction methods, rear spring pack and floorplan can affect the answers a lot.
    Lazy Daze floorplans spread the strength at the rear by using the floor and wall structure to help support the steel understructure frame. You should be able to support an under 300# cycle with just the bumper mounted receiver. I would just bolt on extra receiver tube(s) to the underneath frame struts and bottom of the bumper to present two or three attachment points. This would help stabilize side to side sway of your carrier and cycle (motor or manual).
     The longer the distance from the rear axle the worse the loading results with extra weight. Other people here have more experience with this situation. I'm sure that they will chime in with solutions.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #23
Thanks everyone for replying :)

So you guys think that welding two extra receivers to the smaller frame should be fine for the bike under 300lb without beefing up that extended rail?
Can anyone who has had this system for a long time share a picture from underside, to show where and how it was welded exactly.

PS: Sorry, I didn’t realize my info was incomplete. My name is Michael. I've had my beloved 2001 LD MB 26.5’ for about 3 years now. Got some really good info here for upgrades (like 800W solar) and repairs. Thank you all for contributing; really helpful, especially for newbies like me.

Mike with a 26.5 2001 MidBath

Reply #24
Greg, We just returned from a trip to Redmond Oregon for the purpose of attending a motorcycle rally, riding the BMW on the beautiful Oregon mountain roads, visiting our daughter, and bicycling.  Here is a shot of the Lazy Daze and trailer at a beautiful harvest Host site (Jessie's Grove Winery in Lodi CA), all cycles safely secured inside.  I find pulling a trailer to be simple and relatively trouble free, and they maneuver nicely and can be backed up.  The bikes are safely locked inside, away from weather and curious eyes.  Bulky items that we often store in the MH can be put in the trailer, freeing up space inside. 24,000 logged miles on the trailer with the bikes inside to date.

While at the rally, I was fortunate to meet LD owner Terry Burns with his beautiful Lazy Daze and BMW motorcycle.

Harold
2014 27 MB
Towd: Either the Jeep Wrangler or trailer containing the BMW R1200GS and 2 E-bicycles
Happy wife=Happy life