Skip to main content
Topic: Onan access cover (Read 408 times) previous topic - next topic
Onan access cover
Hi all—newbie here.   Tried to get the access cover off the Onan and when I tried to turn the handles to open, they both broke off in my hands!   Guess they haven’t been moved in a long time.  2007 23 1/2’ twin king.   Any ideas how I can get the access cover off so that I can work on the genny and replace the handles??   Thanks for any and all responses.
2007 'TK 24'

Re: Onan access cover
Reply #1
Hi, and welcome to the group!

Perhaps a small vise grip tool could be clamped on the broken handle allowing it to be twisted off. Do you have a photo?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #2
Hi, and welcome to the group!

Perhaps a small vise grip tool could be clamped on the broken handle allowing it to be twisted off. Do you have a photo?

I would follow Greg’s suggestion of using vise grips to turn shafts but first, spray the shafts with penetrating oil, to break up the accumulated rust and dirt. Spray several times for a day before attempting removal for best results. Tapping on the shafts with a small hammer can help the oil penetrate deeper and dislodge the debris. The cover should marked with the lock and open positions. showing the proper direction to turn.

The handle assembly bolts on and should be repairable if you can find replacements.

You must have the cover in place when using the generator to ensure the cooling airflow, is going to the correct parts of the generator and not out of the access door. 
Running under load for a long period without cover in place will eventually lead to engine overheating and damage.

Good luck
Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
I was able to find replacements for ours last fall on line. I think Yakima Generator had them in stock then.
Frank & Maryann

Reply #4
Unfortunately, the handles broke off flush with the cover so there is nothing to grab with vise grips.   Any other ideas?
2007 'TK 24'

Reply #5
"...the handles broke off flush with the cover..."

Hmm, other ideas??

Don't know if I've ever done a close examination of the subject area but in my imagination I picture the broken shaft/s as something other than round, perhaps square or hexagonal? Would a socket fit over the broken shaft? Is there clearance to do that? Grasping!
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #6
At this point, a photo would be appreciated. This is a new one for me, I don’t know how the handle is connected to the back of the lock having never seen one break before.
Both locks may need to be drilled out but until more information is available, I have no suggestions on how to proceed.

Larry

Larry

Reply #9
"You need to post a picture of the broken shaft still on the cover."

Take a look at the link I posted in reply #7. When the page opens for the Onan 4000 enclosure being offered by eBay, click once on the left arrow! That will show you what the inside cover fasteners look like. If the OPs cover is rusted like that illustration it's no wonder the shafts broke. Looking at the 'J' hooks it appears that there is a backing nut on each [broken] shaft and it's going tp be a bear to remove.   :o   ::)   :( 
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #10
I see what you mean. Well, here are a couple of long-shot ideas:

1. For the lefthand latch (shown here), could you reach up through one of the big ventilation slots and finagle the latch to the open position? I'd try the slot to the right of the latch, reach in toward the left with a hooked coat hanger, and try to snag the latch and pull it open.

2. For the righthand latch, could you drill a hole through the case just to the right of the end of the hook (use the molded-in rib as a guide), then reach in with a screwdriver and push the hook to the right until it's unlatched?

X
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #11
I took one of the latches apart this evening for a better look. The plastic knob is cast onto the shaft and is not made to be removed without destroying it.
I will stay with my original idea to drill out the shaft, first center punching the remaining shaft and then drilling the shaft out with increasingly larger diameter drill bits until the shaft falls apart.

We are here to help but we need as much information as possible and again, a photo would enable us to determine the best repair method.
Work with us, please!  No one here is getting paid to help you.

Larry
Larry

Reply #12
Thanks to all for helping this newbie solve this problem!   The handles broke off flush with the cover.  I could see the shaft, so I drove it out with a hammer and center punch.   New latches have been ordered so all will be well.   Lesson learned—a picture is worth a thousand words—next time, post a photo to help explain what is going on!
2007 'TK 24'

Reply #13
Thanks for the update! It's always good to know how a problem was solved.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"