Skip to main content
Topic: Stove top butcher block cutting board (Read 206 times) previous topic - next topic
Stove top butcher block cutting board

Hi all -

In interest of more usable counter space I wanted to modify my stovetop with a butcher block surface. In case anyone else is interested in similar thought I would share my process...

I got a 24" square board from Lowes (Notification Center ) treated it with food safe oil for hydration. Removed my metal stove top. It just pops off at the hinge by pressing the hinge connection and is easily replaceable if I want to go back to original

Watched a few YouTube videos to figure out how to secure it from sliding around. Bought these rubber feet ( Swpeet 80Pcs Black 22mm & 30mm Square Shape Furniture Pads with Screws,... ). They did need to be trimmed a bit with scissors to fit in-between the metal grates. I put additional rubber feet near the four corners because this cutting board will be used on a picnic table outside and I didn't want it to wobble.

Pretty easy and inexpensive upgrade for my kitchen. I may install some handles on the butcher block because it is somewhat awkward to carry / lift.

::) Of note - remove and set aside when wanting to use the stove. Do not replace the butcher block back onto the stovetop grate until everything is completely cooled.  ::)

Hope this helps if anyone is looking at a similar project.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Jodi, Kevin, and Lincoln (the crazy doodle dog)
2011 TK - also the "DogHaus"- adopted October 2023
2000 30IB - the "DogHaus" - adopted April 2020 - rehomed October 2023

Re: Stove top butcher block cutting board
Reply #1
"In interest of more usable counter space I wanted to modify my stovetop..."

Neat idea and job! It's always good to have extra counter space.

If you have the fold-down shelf at the end of a counter you can also remove the fiberglass top and replace it with hardwood utilizing the existing hardware. Several of us have done that!  ;D   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Thanks Lazy Bones!

I wish I had the
fold-down shelf at the end of a counter
. Its the pull out plastic one. The TK has three drawers that would be obstructed by the fold down. I think that's why they put in pull out which is so small.

I just love making all the little mods to make it my own.  :-*

Jodi, Kevin, and Lincoln (the crazy doodle dog)
2011 TK - also the "DogHaus"- adopted October 2023
2000 30IB - the "DogHaus" - adopted April 2020 - rehomed October 2023

Reply #3
Wow - that looks really nice. 

Reply #4
Hi Johnny, No, It's just that your first few posts need to be approved by Admin and he (that's me) was on a mini-campout at Elsinore with no computer!  The ad hoc meeting at Launch Pointe campground was nice and quiet, and temperate with 31 rigs in attendance. One first timer and one guest. Sponsored by the Lazy Daze Caravan Club, and organized by Christine.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB