Skip to main content
Topic: TOAD weights (Read 257 times) previous topic - next topic
TOAD weights
I would never have thought that the Jeep Wrangler weighs about the same as the Ford Bronco. Depending on which model of course.

2021 Mid Bath

Re: TOAD weights
Reply #1
Both brands have a big weight difference between the two and four-door models. Our two-door Rubicon weighs about 4500 lbs, including a bunch of added accessories. Both are heavy vehicles with substantial frames to take the rigors of off-road abuse.
The bumper and hitch need reinforcement when exceeding the 4000 lb Factory limit.
The Wrangler and Bronco are somewhat different vehicles and driving experiences, drive both, either will take you to almost any place a sensible person would want to go.
I like our compromise, a Ford LD and a Jeep Wrangler.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Both brands have a big weight difference between the two and four-door models. Our two-door Rubicon weighs about 4500 lbs, including a bunch of added accessories. Both are heavy vehicles with substantial frames to take the rigors of off-road abuse.
The bumper and hitch need reinforcement when exceeding the 4000 lb Factory limit.
The Wrangler and Bronco are somewhat different vehicles and driving experiences, drive both, either will take you to almost any place a sensible person would want to go.
I like our compromise, a Ford LD and a Jeep Wrangler.

Larry

What year/specs is your Rubicon? 2 door?

I'm considering getting a pre-owned Wrangler. My understanding is that if I can't have the 4.0 to go ahead with the 3.6 L motor.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #3
Our Rubicon is a 2020 model, with a 3.6 L engine and a wonderful 8-speed ZF automatic transmission. The 2.0 Turbo engine is OK too and gets better mileage. I didn’t want another turbo engine.
Anything with a 4.0 engine is going to be an old, TJ Wrangler, the 4.0 was discontinued over 20 years ago. It’s difficult to find an old Jeep in great condition without spending a lot of money, the reason why we bought a new one.

Larry
Larry

Reply #4
We bought a 2018 Wrangler Rubicon two door with 3.6l and ZF automatic transmission when the JL was first introduced.  It has been a very reliable vehicle, has plenty of power, a smooth transmission, and handles well in the city with its short turning radius, and has ample space for cargo (with the rear seat discarded at time of purchase).  Installing a Demco Stay-In-Play duo, various radios, and off-road accessories was fun and easy.  I would do it again if I needed to replace our towed.

-Warren
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #5
I pull a 70 CJ5. Weighs 2270lbs. Great vehicle. X
2011 RK

Reply #6
I pull a 70 CJ5. Weighs 2270lbs. Great vehicle. [attach type=thumb]37155[/attach]

Good memories, first car I drove was my uncle’s CJ5, I must have imprinted on Jeeps.

Larry
Larry

Reply #7
My first car was a used 1958 CJ-5 red Jeep that I bought in 1960 when I was a sophomore in high school. Everyone enjoyed riding in it and cruising to Clearwater (FL) beach.  It would have made a good toad. My next Jeep is a 2017 Cherokee that we currently use as our toad. It has given us excellent service for 80K miles so far so we just bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit that we hope will us the same service for the next ten + years. By then I will in my 90's and possibly not have further need for a car. The future is a mystery.
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #8
Nothing beats an old jeep heres my 1948 willys jeepster.
                Fun times Jody
2009 Kodiak 32 foot Island Bed

Reply #9
Jody wins the prize. That is one fine ride!!! We're towin' a Forester. Good toad but so pedestrian compared that yellow gold.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #10
Great picture Mike. Look at all the good haircuts on those young men.
2011 RK