Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing the engine in a 2011 LDMB 39.700K mi (Read 1094 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing the engine in a 2011 LDMB 39.700K mi
Hi, I purchased my 2011 LDMB 27 on 26 February 2024.  I absolutely love it.
On 11 April 2024 my 2011 Subaru TOAD started on fire while I was towing it.  It was totaled. The heat from the fire scorched the back of my LD also melting all of the tail lights. I first noticed a clanking/rattling noise just before this.
A few days later as I was preparing to go to a new campground I heard this same noise, but it was much louder and sounded almost like I was dragging something.
I asked someone at the water station, who was from Alaska, if he would listen to it.  While he and his wife were listening to it another guy stuck his head under the hood also.  Everyone agreed there was something wrong.  The third person had the number of a mechanic in Yuma who he had gone to and was pleased with. A friend of his had gone to this same mechanic for 16 years and highly recommended him.
So, I made an appointment with him for the following day.
Upon my arrival the mechanic took it for a test drive, also listened to it and then removed the belt assembly to see if the noise was still there in the engine, it was.  He also listened to it with a stethoscope under the oil pan.  The noise was still there and he diagnosed that it had thrown a rod or something wrong with a piston or something of that sort.  He could also feel it while he was test driving it.
The mechanic recommended that I get a new engine and cautioned me to not drive it over any mountain passes at this time.
So, I had a new engine installed and will pick it up Monday 29 April 2024 after they test drive it.   At first the mechanic told me he was booked 3 weeks out, but then called back and said he bumped me up to Monday 22 April.
I'm curious, is there anyone in the Lazy Daze Owners Group who has had a similar problem with the 2011 E450?
I've been reading many of the posts in this group for the last couple of years in anticipation of getting a Lazy Daze and must add that this is an awesome, helpful group.

Zanobia Shalks
2011 LDMB
Zanobia Shalks
 2011 Mid-Bath

Re: Replacing the engine in a 2011 LDMB 39.700K mi
Reply #1
Just curious did you ever find out what caused your toad to go up in flames?
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #2
Zanobia, I'm so sorry to hear about your multiple disasters!

The most common causes of towed vehicle fires seem to be brake lockup (most often due to a faulty auxiliary braking system) and tire blowout.

You should talk to Todd Miller (formerly of Lazy Daze) about getting replacement parts; he has whatever is left over since the factory closed. I found this contact info for him, but if anyone has more up to date info, please post it here.

I hope you'll be able to get everything fixed up and get back on the road. Hang in there!

Ldrvtodd@yahoo.com
‭(909) 627-0941‬
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
You are not  alone.

https://youtu.be/toQVgTKnZAo?si=_4___9_IkORlD5kH

In this case a fuel injector stuck open washing down the cylinder wall and wearing out the piston.

If the link doesn’t work look up the Lyf Uninterrupted channel on youtube.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #4
Really enjoyed that video, Harry. Thanks for posting.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #5
A couple of years ago, a friend showed up at the campsite with his LD making terrible noises.
Everyone, myself included, was afraid the engine was toast. The noise sounded deep in the engine, like a bad bearing.

He decided to try driving it home, made it, and then called his mechanic to order a new engine.
While waiting for the new engine, his mechanic investigated deeper and discovered the noise was caused by the plastic breather inside the driver’s side valve cover that had broken off and was rattling against the valve's rocker arms.
A new valve cover and $250 later, he was back on the road, the noise gone. He was happy to cancel the new engine he had ordered from Jasper.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Just curious did you ever find out what caused your toad to go up in flames?
Hi Lazy Bones 2, 
I would say your guess is as good as mine, but Andy Baird answers that question in the next post.
Zanobia Shalks
 2011 Mid-Bath

Reply #7
You should talk to Todd Miller ...
I hope you'll be able to get everything fixed up and get back on the road.
Hi Andy,

Thank you!

I think you're correct about the faulty auxiliary breaking system.

I received contact info for Vince, who formerly worked for Lazy Daze.  He said he knows who can fix it if the parts can be gotten. I texted him photos of the damage. Vince is contacting Todd to see if the parts are available.

I know it can be fixed!  Also I should be out of this motel and back in it tomorrow with a new engine.
Zanobia Shalks
 2011 Mid-Bath

Reply #8
You are not  alone.
In this case a fuel injector stuck open washing down the cylinder wall and wearing out the piston.

Hi Harry,

Thank you!

Also, I appreciate your posting that video.  I found it very interesting, taking some of the mystery out of the situation.
Zanobia Shalks
 2011 Mid-Bath

Reply #9
A couple of years ago, a friend showed up at the campsite with his LD making terrible noises.
Everyone, myself included, was afraid the engine was toast. The noise sounded deep in the engine, like a bad bearing.

He decided to try driving it home, made it, and then called his mechanic to order a new engine.
While waiting for the new engine, his mechanic investigated deeper and discovered the noise was caused by the plastic breather inside the driver’s side valve cover that had broken off and was rattling against the valve's rocker arms.
A new valve cover and $250 later, he was back on the road, the noise gone. He was happy to cancel the new engine he had ordered from Jasper.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Your friend had a much better experience than I'm having.  I don't know if I'll ever find out the real cause, but I will have a new engine.

In any case I'll be picking up my LD with a new engine tomorrow. 

I'm so ready to leave this motel and I'll be so glad to be back in my LD again.  Well then, onto the next challenge of getting the damage on the rear of the LD fixed. 
Zanobia Shalks
 2011 Mid-Bath

Reply #10
I have a 2003 E450 rear bath / front lounge.  I have had mechanics tell me my engine was bad and I needed to get it looked at.  It was some sort of grounding strap which was impinging on the fan blades making a sound like the roller bearings were bad.   I think they moved the strap while checking the transmission fluid.  I moved the grounding strap back out of the way and all was fine.

Reply #11
I have a 2003 E450 rear bath / front lounge.  I have had mechanics tell me my engine was bad and I needed to get it looked at.  It was some sort of grounding strap which was impinging on the fan blades making a sound like the roller bearings were bad.   I think they moved the strap while checking the transmission fluid.  I moved the grounding strap back out of the way and all was fine.

Hi RRJudd,

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I would have liked that to be my experience also.
Zanobia Shalks
 2011 Mid-Bath