Skip to main content
Topic: Cab Carpet Everywhere (Read 214 times) previous topic - next topic
Cab Carpet Everywhere
Has anybody ever replaced the carpet covering the walls and over the windshield with something different. I really dislike that stuff. How about the floor carpet? Thanks.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Re: Cab Carpet Everywhere
Reply #1
I'm working on the floor carpet now.  

The factory installed carpet in just regular household carpet with jute underneath.   It's attached via narrow crown staples along the back (where the cab wood is), mostly unattached across the floor (held in by the seats), and then attached with spray adhesive in the footwells.  

Mine was almost all 1 piece, with the exception of the one 'wing' that fills the space between the forward coach wall and the fridge cabinet in my MB.  There was also a covered piece of plywood behind the driver seat that I might not replace. 

There were a couple of strategically places sheet metal screws, mostly in the footwells where the wheel hump(s) meets the main part of the footwell.

I'm only replacing the floor and doghouse (mostly adhesive, a few screws) carpet (for now) but all of the vertical and higher surfaces seems to be glued and screwed as well. 

In an effort to reduce noise and heat in the cab, I added a couple layers of sound deadening insulation to the floor while the carpet was out.  

I replaced it with household carpet with a similar thickness that was stocked at my local Lowes.  

As part of the cab overhaul for me, I also replaced the windshield (3 big chips - 1 right in the drivers line of sight), the dash cover, and the rubber floor mats.   

I still 1 more seat to install and the doghouse to re-cover before I start the rig and test drive it, but so far I'm pleased with the results.  

The carpet part can be intimidating, and you need a few tools (air compressor and narrow crown staple gun), but being able to copy what was previously installed makes things easier.  

Resist the urge to copy the old carpet as a pattern and slip it into place.  The goal should be to cut a new piece of carpet that is slightly larger than you need, trimming as you work the install.    Use a very sharp blade and change blades often.  

I eventually plan to replace the rear carpet as well as the entrance footwell, bathroom wall, and dinette area carpet.   I'm not sure if the vertical and higher areas of the cab are worth the effort as they are in much better shape.

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #2
Rich,
Thanks for your detailed description. This is one for maybe down the road awhile. I may send you a PM sometime for advice.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #3
I just finished the floor. I left the grey cab carpet for now. I may never swap it out. It’s in nice shape. Well, as nice as cheap house carpet can be. Here are a few pictures of the project.

After tear out.

Finished product

2011 RK