Skip to main content
Topic: Dometic Toilet pedal valve has lost its "spring back" action.  (Read 166 times) previous topic - next topic
Dometic Toilet pedal valve has lost its "spring back" action.
Hi everyone,
This is my 2005 26' mid-bath. My wife pushed the pedal to flush the toilet the other day, and afterward it seemed to have lost its ability to spring back to the closed position. It still returns most of the way, but without much spring and I have to lift the pedal by hand (or foot) from below to close it fully. Is there a simple fix for this our is it a full valve replacement? The toilet is just 2 years old.

Also, what has become of The Companion. The link I have no longer works.

Thanks,

David G.
2005 MB

Re: Dometic Toilet pedal valve has lost its "spring back" action.
Reply #1

Hi David;  There is a sticker on the base of the toilet (pedestal) inside the easily removed outside shroud.  This identifies the toilet. I believe mine is a Sealand Traveler 510.  My spring and ball flush mechanism still works, so I haven't had to learn much about that yet. (I have a slightly leaking fresh water flush valve, with the new valve waiting).
   This part is identified as a replacement spring: Amazon.com: Sealand Technology Spring Cartridge Assembly for 510 385236096 :...  but first....
    Are the rubber seals in place, and in good shape, on the 'ball' valve mechanism?  They could be rubbing and keeping the spring from closing the valve.  And there is a curved piece of steel that pushes the fresh water valve open. But if the valve stayed open it wouldn't affect the pedal.  RonB

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Re: Dometic Toilet pedal valve has lost its "spring back" action.
Reply #2
Hi David;  There is a sticker on the base of the toilet (pedestal) inside the easily removed outside shroud.  This identifies the toilet. I believe mine is a Sealand Traveler 510.
   This part is identified as a replacement spring:  but first....
    Are the rubber seals in place, and in good shape, on the 'ball' valve mechanism?  They could be rubbing and keeping the spring from closing the valve.  And there is a curved piece of steel that pushes the fresh water valve open. But if the valve stayed open it wouldn't affect the pedal.  RonB

Hi Ron,
The rubbers seal seem fine and the ball opens and closes easily. There just doesn't seem to be enough spring to pop it back into place. I can feel the lack of tension on the pedal as I push it down. Seems most likely to be the spring cartridge. I probably won't attempt a fix till after this trip - as long as the dam thing closes, I'm good. Thanks for the link. I'll look-up mine to see what I can find.

Thanks a bunch!
David g.

Why do these things always seem to happen on the second day of a two month trip?
2005 MB