Skip to main content
Topic: Carpet removal (Read 317 times) previous topic - next topic
Carpet removal
I recently purchased a 2011 27RK. I’m replacing the flooring. I have a couple questions. 1st, at the rear of the coach there is a carpeted square below the window. I plan on recovering this square. How is it attached to the wall? 

2nd, how is the carpet attached in the stairwell?

Thank you,
Tony
Tipton, MI

X
X
2011 RK

Re: Carpet removal
Reply #1
I haven't removed any but from what I hear, hundreds of staples!  Have a good tool for pulling very tenacious staples out.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
I pulled the main cab carpet out of my RV this week.   Many many staples, occasional 1/4” hex head sheet metal screws.  Very few Phillips wood screws.   I’d expect staples.   Not hard to pull off unless you’re trying to preserve the carpet. 

Very occasional spray adhesive.

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #3
I pulled all the carpet out of mine (dinette area, back wall, floor, shower, entry steps). I just made a few cuts with a utility knife and grabbed the carpet with a pair of pliers and gave it a yank. Well, lots of hard yanks actually! Very satisfying.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #4
I see now why the carpet was mounted on the back wall.

Spare tire mount bolts.
X
2011 RK

Reply #5
Spare tire mount bolts.

So you have the spare tire back there? Sure wish my 09 did. My spare tire holder is a faux. I thought they all were after they extended to 27 feet. I asked Todd if there was a way to mount it back there and he told me there is no blocking in place so it would be a pretty tough job.

I guess you could change out those hex head bolts for carriage bolts to get rid of most of the protrusion of the originals.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #6
I’m going to build a 3/4 inch sub wall and cover it with a piece of the material we are using to redo the upholstery. Th rig goes in at the end of May for tan and mahogany leather (pleather).

Tony
2011 RK

Reply #7
Carpet is out. Steps, back wall, and lounge area. I’m hesitant to pull the carpet in the bath. There doesnt appear to be much to tack the flooring to? 

XX
2011 RK

Reply #8
One of the pictures JOR posted a few post above yours shows what's under the bathroom carpet that is on the wall under the shower.  You can see wood on the bottom portion, and then lots of adhesive on the top portion. 

Or maybe I misunderstand what you're asking.  

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #9
One of the pictures JOR posted a few post above yours shows what's under the bathroom carpet that is on the wall under the shower.  You can see wood on the bottom portion, and then lots of adhesive on the top portion. 

Or maybe I misunderstand what you're asking.  

Yep. Thanks. Looks like a mess with all the glue.

T

2011 RK

Reply #11
I’m surprised since our 2009 doesn’t have those bolts.  Just a piece of carpet stapled to the wall.  Very interesting.  🤨

In mid-bath units (since 2000 or so?), the spare tire is stored is a passenger side rear compartment and not in the spare tire carrier so those bolts aren't needed for the MB layout.  IIRC, the change was made to give a few more inches of space in the coach.    

From Changes by year
Midbath models had the coach body moved back about 2.5 inches to let taller owners run the driver's seat all the way back. The spare had to be moved from under the rear "continental" tire cover to the rearmost passenger side outside storage bin. This change occurred at the end of 1999.

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #12

Hi Tony, and Jor;  To minimize intrusion under carpet or flooring, use Elevator bolts.  (10) 1/4-20x1-1/4 Stainless Steel Fanged Elevator Bolt Square Neck (1"...   I use a spade bit to cut away just a 1/16"+ deep hole, (or a router) to make it really flush with the surface. For the 'fanged' bolts I drill small holes right where the fangs are, to help them fit flat into the oriented strand plywood. Usually these bolts are hardened and cover more surface area than carriage bolt heads, so they are just as strong. And they don't turn when torqueing them up from the other side.
     3/8" diameter also available:   Bolt Depot - Fanged elevator bolts, 3/8"                                              
         RonB

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #13
To minimize intrusion under carpet or flooring, use Elevator bolts. 

Those are sweet! Great solution, Ron.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #14
Two issues with elevator bolts.
The spare tire is secured with three 1/2”-13 bolts. The largest diameter elevator bolts are 3/8”.
Almost all elevator bolts are Grade A or Grade 2, the lowest grade of bolts and nothing you want to hang a heavy spare tire and wheel on.
Carriage bolts were used by LD for a good reason.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #15
Hi Larry; I wouldn't want class 2  for anything important, like a propane tank, or black or gray tanks either. But the carriage bolts from LD might not be very high grade either. 
     The 1/4"x20 bolts from Amazon, mention grade 8 (maybe I don't believe that).
     McMaster Carr does have 1/2" stainless bolts: (coarse thread of 13/inch)
1/2"-13  1 1/2" Fully Threaded, Coarse   1 9/16"   11/64"  0.51"   0.28"  70,000 psi   Nut   1   92361A431   12.69
               2"   Fully Threaded, Coarse   1 9/16"   11/64"  0.51"   0.31"  70,000 psi   Nut   1   92361A433   16.11
              2 1/2"Fully Threaded, Coarse   1 9/16"   11/64"   0.51"   0.31"   70,000 psi   Nut   1   92361A434   19.54

They do have some grade 5 bolts but only up to 3/8" diameter. At 120,000 psi.    RonB