Skip to main content
Topic: The Stressful Side of RVing (Read 667 times) previous topic - next topic
The Stressful Side of RVing
Unlike so many in this LD Neighborhood, I’ve never become comfortable with the challenges of owning a RV.   The wear and tear, regular maintenance requirements, equipment and parts breaking and so forth keeps me “jumpy.”   I certainly am envious of those who can handle these issues in stride. 

At any rate, we leave tomorrow for two weeks and we’re certainly overdue for hitting the road.  

Re: The Stressful Side of RVing
Reply #1
You’re not alone in that, Ed.  Have a great trip!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #2
Completely agree. Especially juggling work, family with three young kids and keeping our actual house in good working order. I do my best to stay on top of the LD but I am getting close to needing to do a preventative reseal of the roof I think in a year or two.
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Reply #3
Your concerns are exactly why I purchased new from the Mothership. We purchased our RB two years before I retired.

I could have purchased a pre-owned LD but the thought of breaking down on the side of the road convinced me to go new. The last thing I wanted was to possibly have mechanical hiccups that would destroy my DW’s one week vacation.

Just turned 30,000 miles on our ‘15 with thousands more carefree miles yet to go. Maintenance is something that I do regularly. Hopefully things will continue to go smoothly for us for many years to come.

Enjoy the open road.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #4
After 10 years and 90,000 miles put on my 2005 Midbath I sold it. I cried as it went out the driveway... so many good times with that rig. I bought a 34 foot Newmar Ventana because we now find ourselves staying for longer stays in locations we have found ( from our earlier Lazy Daze explorations) to be most enjoyable. We go and park and do not move for up to a month at a time. I now spend about 4 months living in this bigger motorhome, so it truly is a "mobile home". While the space and comfort is a positive with the larger rig it also comes with a much larger upkeep cost than the Lazy Daze. There are many things I miss about having the Lazy Daze and a lower upkeep cost is one of them. If you are planning to go bigger be prepared for this!
2005 MB

Reply #5
"There are many things I miss about having the Lazy Daze and a lower upkeep cost is one of them."

I definitely agree with this and as to my personal belief, I'm very glad that I got into the game when I was able to do most of the required work by myself. Had I waited until a later age it would not have been so enjoyable!  ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #6
Even after 30 years and over 200,000 miles of LDing, I still get a bit antsy before taking off on longer trips, in the back of my mind wondering what I forgot to do or what is being left behind.
This feeling usually disappears an hour or two after leaving.
Except for personal meds, almost anything needed can be bought while on the road.

Leaving in a few hours for a GTG with the Northern Exposure group. I feel calm.
Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
We’re settled and relaxing in our campsite.   Everything on our LD is working and so are Margee and Gracie (4 legged little lady).   I’m at 95% which is fine with me.  RV ownership stress is very low right now.   Finally, I’m grateful that I’m not alone with this RV Stress Syndrome.  😂

Reply #8
“God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
As it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make things right
If I surrender to His Will;
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life
And supremely happy with Him
Forever and ever in the next.
Amen”.

Have a great trip!
Blessings to you Ed
1994 Twin King

Reply #9
While the space and comfort is a positive with the larger rig it also comes with a much larger upkeep cost than the Lazy Daze.

You can say that again! Those big ones require lots of spending. My past group of owners, like us LDers, would drive to the factory in Texas for work of one kind or another. They referred to money spent there as "coach bucks." A coach buck is one grand. The formula was: each day at the factory required one coach buck. Four days, four grand. That's about what it always would work out to!

Then the simple stuff like changing the oil - 10 gallons vs. 6 quarts. Buying tires - $500 each instead of a couple hundred and so on. The LD is the way to go!!!
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #10
I'm admiring the view from your campsite Ed. Some sacrifices are just worth it. May you find many, many Happy Trails @ 95%
2004 26.5 Island Bed. Gumby
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Reply #11
Ed, I’m assuming you’re at a Texas state park. May I enquire which one?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #12
"RV ownership stress is very low right now."

That's a very peaceful scene of your campsite Ed! Curious to know what all the brown spots are that can be seen scattered across the ground? No, wait, I'm thinking they are those prickly balls (seed pods) that fall from Liquid Amber (Sweetgum) trees, no?

Nearly everything in Texas has spurs or thorns!   ;D   ;D   ;D   
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #13
"RV ownership stress is very low right now."

That's a very peaceful scene of your campsite Ed! Curious to know what all the brown spots are that can be seen scattered across the ground? No, wait, I'm thinking they are those prickly balls (seed pods) that fall from Liquid Amber (Sweetgum) trees, no?

Nearly everything in Texas has spurs or thorns!   ;D   ;D   ;D   
You’re totally correct about the Sweetgum balls, spurs, and thorns.   😂

Reply #14
Ed & Margee
If you don’t do this already you might consider this to relieve some anxiety.

Create short term and long term lists.  Within short term list have a maintenance list and travel list.  Long term would only have maintenance list.

1)Short term maintenance list: Create checklist for things like oil change, filter changes, fluid checks, roof inspection, end cap inspection, black tank flush…and so forth.
2)Short term travel list: Create checklist for thing like fresh water level, pantry items, tools, gas tank level, tire pressures (+spare), stop/brake light testing….
3)Long term maintenance list: By miles fluid changes for brakes, anti freeze, transmission, rear differential, power steering, brake inspection, exhaust inspection, suspension inspection…

Once you have these comprehensive lists you just perform the checks per time of year and when ready to travel.  So when you travel you know that you have done everything to eliminate any breakdowns or surprises.  As you find things missing just add to lists. 

This has helped me through the years relieve my anxiety.  It is the approach I would take if I ever find a LD to purchase.  I now have a popup so the lists are very short, which is nice. 

Ron S
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Reply #15
My view is stress is just another word for life.   Stress means you are alive and do 'alive' stuff.  

After 60,000 plus miles on 'Baxter The Travel Turtle' I'm just as happy as the day we brought her.  It's a mechanical item so I'm doing the best I can to stay ahead of 'this' and 'that' but as they say 'Sh*t happens'.  Tomorrow we'll be dropping off 'Baxter' at the Frod Truck dealership for all the fluid (oil, transmission, radiator, etc.)  changes.  Then in a few weeks, we'll be getting new tries.    Yup, this year will not be a cheap year.  I've kept a running total of the expenses.   We brought new in 2014.    As of today, it's running just over .55 cents a mile.  There are few other items not included in that cost but I sense it's heading toward .75 cents a mile before the year is out.

So far the reward far exceeds the downside.  After every trip LB and I re-evaluate.  I'm sure one day the downside will exceed the upside that will be the day we hang up the keys. 

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #16
Then there is severe weather popping up unexpectedly.

Just left my son’s house in San Antonio to drive 13 miles away to shelter, just in time to get cover from 70mph winds and hail.

I’m fine, certainly the worst wind I’ve been in.
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #17
My view is stress is just another word for life.   Stress means you are alive and do 'alive' stuff.  

After 60,000 plus miles on 'Baxter The Travel Turtle' I'm just as happy as the day we brought her.  It's a mechanical item so I'm doing the best I can to stay ahead of 'this' and 'that' but as they say 'Sh*t happens'.  Tomorrow we'll be dropping off 'Baxter' at the Frod Truck dealership for all the fluid (oil, transmission, radiator, etc.)  changes.  Then in a few weeks, we'll be getting new tries.    Yup, this year will not be a cheap year.  I've kept a running total of the expenses.   We brought new in 2014.    As of today, it's running just over .55 cents a mile.  There are few other items not included in that cost but I sense it's heading toward .75 cents a mile before the year is out.

So far the reward far exceeds the downside.  After every trip LB and I re-evaluate.  I'm sure one day the downside will exceed the upside that will be the day we hang up the keys. 

Indeed, RVing is not an inexpensive lifestyle. Victoria and I have agreed we will give it 5 years and reassess. We purchased Nocona in Dec. 2020 but lost a couple years of RVing while caring for my mom so we'll give it until the end of 2027 or so to decide if we want to continue.  That's one reason I'm hesitant to spending a lot of $$ on a solar or other upgrades right now.

Regarding stress, I do find that having travel, maintenance checklist, etc. keeps that level down. Trip planning helps as well.

Looking forward to our next campout at Pismo North Beach next month:
Pismo State Beach North Beach - Campsite Photos, Availability Alerts
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #18
Things take on a different perspective when your RV is your home.
I have been living in my LD since the day I bought it used back in Sept. 2007.
Having a 28 year old home, and one that moves can get interesting at times.
That helps keep me on my toes, any day could be stressful, but I don't stress over when it will be.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #19
any day could be stressful, but I don't stress over when it will be.

What a great outlook and quote!
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester