Skip to main content
Topic: Tire jack (Read 185 times) previous topic - next topic
Tire jack
Hello everyone,
Did anybody get a Jack with your coach when you bought it new. If so, what type?
Thanks in advance, really appreciate this forum.
2002 MidBath

Re: Tire jack
Reply #1
Hi AOKcal;  I don't know about everybody else but I did get a jack with my Ford E350.  It is a telescoping mechanical screw jack with a long 'folded in the middle' detachable crank handle.  I used it once to see how it worked. It works but it isn't easy!
I'd hate to use it, squirreled away in a corner of the storage compartment.  An easier to use hydraulic jack is my go to, and assists my leveling blocks, when needed.
   In a real flat tire situation usually you need two jacks.  One to support the body of the RV, and one to lift the axle to get the tire off the ground.  That one needs to be short enough to fit under the axle (at the spring shackle), but only needs to go up far enough to get the old tire/wheel off, and the new one on.  The second lifts the body of the LD far enough up to get the tire in place.  Hydraulic levelers would take care of that job if needed.
    You won't find out that you need two jacks until you really try this.  I carry a spare smaller hydraulic jack to cover this. (I know my crank-up jack is there, I've seen it in my storage compartment).  I have wandered off of paved roads, and if you need a tire service, many won't cover you if you are 'off road'. That is by Their definition of off road, not yours!
    I know most brands of motorhomes don't have spares provided, so I suspect those don't come with jacks (or blocks) either.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
"I don't know about everybody else but..."

No jack with my 2004! The only 'auxillary' tools I recall was the "T" wrench to remove the wheel simulators. There was an awning rod but that was after-market!   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
2013 none, not even a Cracker Jack  ;)
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #4
96. I got a bottle jack.
Actually used it about a week ago when I got a flat tire. Right front so it was easier to deal with than a rear dually.
I managed to get it to work, my spare hadn't been looked at in a long time but it held enough air to get me to Discount tire, 8 miles away.
My tires were really old, almost 10 years out of the Michelin LTX. The spare was the best tire from when they got replaced in 2014.
Now I have the new Michelin Cross Climate.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #5
I purchased hydraulic jacks 6 ton and 8 ton.
The ford mechanical screw jack is so undersized I could  not lift a front wheel.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath