Skip to main content
Topic: Phoenix Cruiser To Retire Generators (Read 229 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Phoenix Cruiser To Retire Generators
Reply #1
If you consider the cost of a generator, and the way solar/lithium prices have come down, it makes sense to me in a lot of situations.   

...until you want to run the Air Conditioner.....

that would be the deal breaker for me.

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #2
...until you want to run the Air Conditioner.....

I can manage 2-3 hours running the AC with my 400 ah of Lithium without seriously depleting my power.  Even weeks on end of rain in Alaska last summer, didn’t have power issues.   Already considering removing my heavy generator and adding another 400ah, but too lazy to get it done.   The real test will be heading east of the Rockies this year, no mountains to climb to escape the heat.

According to the link, they have 600-1200 ah of batteries, sounds like plenty to me, plus it’s easier to fit all those batteries and inverters, etc if you purposely build to accommodate them.
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #3
I can manage 2-3 hours running the AC with my 400 ah of Lithium without seriously depleting my power.  Even weeks on end of rain in Alaska last summer, didn’t have power issues.   Already considering removing my heavy generator and adding another 400ah, but too lazy to get it done.   The real test will be heading east of the Rockies this year, no mountains to climb to escape the heat.

According to the link, they have 600-1200 ah of batteries, sounds like plenty to me, plus it’s easier to fit all those batteries and inverters, etc if you purposely build to accommodate them.
Also with the ongoing a/c efficiency and soft start capability a/c can be ran using less power.  I expect current a/c energy hogs and noise generators will be replaced by quiet, efficient units in the coming years.  All this due to customer demand and battery technology upgrades (lithium).

Ron S
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Reply #4
I suspect it depends a lot on where you travel, but I would be hesitant. 

It's not uncommon during summer in the southeast (where I live) to run the A/C all night to control temp and humidity as you sleep.

I remember a trip to the FL Keys in Sept where we ran the A/C 24/7 for about a week (on shore power).

At Jetty Park (a great beach campground where you can also watch Space-X launches), there is a dry camping area with generator quiet hours start at 10pm.   It's pretty common for most RVs to be running the A/C from around lunch to 10pm.  

I've been at many festivals, parked in the shade for a long weekend, where 3-4 hours of A/C a day made life bearable.

Even if you're the one who can make it through with windows open and fans on in these spots, your neighbors will all be running their generators while you sweat. 

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #5
Adding loads of lithium batteries and solar is something many on the forum have already done and benefit from by not having to run the generator often or at all.
This is a good time to upgrade, the cost of lithium batteries has dropped significantly in the past couple of years along with low solar prices, a sign that the Chinese solar and lithium battery industries have matured.
Following Will Prout's reviews and teardowns, It's hard to believe how much cheaper decent lithium batteries have become over the last two or three years.

No generator is a misnomer, the expensive vehicle's engine becomes the generator, something we discussed several years ago when the new 7.3L V8, available with a second alternator, was announced and lithium batteries were becoming more common.
I'm not sure how an 8000-watt alternator is installed in the two RVs shown, a Sprinter, and an E450. The E450's 7.3L V8  second, 250-amp alternator can only generate 3500 watts. An alternator in the 600-amp range is needed to produce 8000 watts, a much larger piece of equipment.
E450s  can be ordered with a transmission-mounted power take-off, the possible location of the huge alternator.
How a huge alternator is installed on the small Sprinter engines is unknown, maybe using a similar method.
Good chance the electrical systems are 24 or 48 volts to reduce the size of the needed wiring.
If A/C is needed, expect daily engine runs to keep the batteries charged, even if you are not traveling. Few, if any RVs have the roof space available for enough solar to run the A/C for hours a day.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Perhaps in the near future with continued advancements, if generators are desired, they could be smaller in size thus quieter and use less gas.  Ember RV sells a 22EST model with a 18,000 BTU Max Cool “Whisper Quiet” A/C
(Largest Single A/C in Class) with Remote that owners say is really quiet and others claim it can run on a Honda 2kW generator.   

So with more and more advancements in technology it will be easier for RVers to enjoy the life they desire!

Ron S
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan