Skip to main content
Topic: how to check parking brake reservoir  (Read 537 times) previous topic - next topic
how to check parking brake reservoir
After returning home from getting the rv out of storage, my husband mentioned that both the brake and abs dash lights were on.
He said that the brakes engage as they should on the drive home.
Of course, I think, oh no, emergency/parking brake reservoir.

Would like to check it and fill it before I travel to a repair shop.
How do you check the fluid for the parking/emergency brake?
The e450 manual shows all the different fluid check areas, but not the parking brake one.

Please remind me the type of transmission fluid that I need in case it is low.
"Three dot" brake fluid for the brakes, not parking brake.

Side note: We charged the engine battery at home and put it in, started the rv and pulled it out of storage area. There was some moist areas were the rear wheels would of been. I did the finger test and it appeared clear. I asked him if he had the emergency brake on while in storage and he said he did not recall.

Thank you, Kimberley
2000 Mid Bath

Re: how to check parking brake reservoir
Reply #1
Parking brake oil fill | Flickr

This should help.  When you click on a picture, there is often text that LarryW has added to explain.

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #2
Thanks Rich, I will print this off before I go to the shop and keep it in my LD folder.

This morning I looked under the rig at the inner dually tires, did not see any brake fluid.
Started the rv, both brake and abs on dash were lite.
Put the rv into neutral and engaged the parking brake, put it into park and disengaged the parking brake.
Both on the dash brake and abs were still lite.
Put the rv into drive and rolled a few inches forward to double check if there was any brake fluid leaking and none was detected on the ground or on inner tires.

Will double check today in the sunlight the brake fluid levels.
Think I am good to go to the repair shop.
2000 Mid Bath

Reply #4
I agree with Ron

Bob Wilson
2007 31 IB

Reply #5
When my parking brake exploded and was replaced by Ford they said to use Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) type H.

A search tells me that it is for Honda non CVT transmissions up to 2010. I see it is available at NAPA, Autozone, and Amazon.

Should not be hard to find.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #6
I total, we drove it around 20 miles and the two dash symbols for brake and abs remained lite.

The brake fluid reservoir was only about a 1 inch from the max fill line. We filled it to the max fill line prior to leaving.

I had to take it to a new mechanic, mine was booked 6 weeks out. I printed and took in the parking brake reservoir photos provided by Larry.

South Central Kansas it is difficult to find a shop to work on my rig. The nearest Ford truck service center is 260 miles away.

The three items I requested to be looked at were:
1- Fluid checked for the parking brake
2- The parking brake assembly, being that it is engaging and disengaging properly
3- Check to see if I had any leaks along the brake lines.

Harry, may I ask, when your parking brake exploded, what was the situation leading up to that?
 Did you have anything lite on the dash prior?

Thought I would call the Ford help line and see if I could get any insight. 
Being the battery placed back in and hooked up could be a contributing factor.
The hazard lights (turn signal lights) did flash a 1/2 a dozen times when the negative terminal was attached.
Maybe I should add a 4th inspection item, to check the ground.

I will report what they find, if anything, Kimberley
2000 Mid Bath

Reply #7
Hi Kim, when I had my ABS light come on (it sets the brake warning light also, since the ABS affects the brakes) I replaced the rear axle speed sensor, about $20. Very easy, anyone can replace it. That fixed it. But maybe just add some differenrial oil, it might just be low(cold). It doesn't affect the brakes, except the ABS operation. RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #8

“Harry, may I ask, when your parking brake exploded, what was the situation leading up to that?
 Did you have anything lite on the dash prior?”

I had checked the brake fluid level the first few years then forgot all about it. Around 10 years from new I expect I ran it dry. No dash indication and I can’t imagine how there could be any.

Glad the topic came up. I don’t think I checked it last year. Usually I have to add a little bit.
Harry 2006RB

Reply #9
Parking brake oil fill | Flickr

This should help.  When you click on a picture, there is often text that LarryW has added to explain.

I added the photos and explanation because most mechanics refuse to acknowledge the existence of the transmission-mounted parking brake. Joan Taylor had this issue with her Ford mechanic, she printed the photos and went back to Ford and straightened them out, I pity the poor mechanic.

The parking brake uses the transmission fluid that is specified for your LD, it is tolerant of a wide range of transmission lubricants.
The transmission parking brake was discontinued in 2008 and later models.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #10
I was able to get it into a mechanic at Inland truck and service.
I did bring in the photo's to ensure there was no misunderstanding.

They're diagnostics showed a faulty "wheel speed sensor".

I was skeptical being after the battery was charged and installed, could be seen as a variable.
Drove it around 20 miles and they remained on.

But, I gave the "okay" and both the dash lites are no longer showing on the dash.

I insisted that they first checked for leaks along the brake lines and transmission parking brake fluid level and assembly, which they said "everything checked out ok".

I am printing off  Larry's photo's again and putting it into the rv folder that stays in the rv.

My mechanic was booked out but reached out and will have him look things over before we hit the road.

Thanks for everything, Kimberley

2000 Mid Bath

Reply #11
Hi Kimberly;  I cured my 'ABS' and 'Brake' light coming on years ago by replacing the axle speed sensor.  Ford at your year and my year only has individual wheel speed sensors on the front wheels.  The one rear axle sensor on my Super Duty E350 is mounted on the top of the axle, driver side, and is just a coil with magnet. Under $20 and very easy (one bolt) to replace. No axle fluid will leak out, one two wire plug to swap.  The ABS computer uses the entire axle rotational speed as an input. There IS no connection to the actual brakes and this sensor doesn't compromise your brakes, except if your have wet slippery conditions. You would have just normal braking without the additional action of the ABS to release braking momentarily on the separate wheel if it were slipping. (ice water,sand...)
   I have had the warning light come on (twice now on the new sensor) if I am driving in really hot, stop and go traffic. It goes off again when cooled down.  (the first time I had this issue was in 115 degree Texas highway in heavy traffic).
    At less than $10, it can't be very complicated!  More Information for HOLSTEIN 2ABS3981   Rock Auto has been good for me.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB