Skip to main content
Topic: Midbath Rear Lounge (Read 982 times) previous topic - next topic
Midbath Rear Lounge
One thing that perturbs me about the newer MB‘s is the lack of a place to set things in the rear lounge area. There is a small, approximately 3 inch wide sill, next to the passenger side sofa, but there’s nothing on the driver side to set things on such as glasses, phones, etc. There is also nothing across the back window, nor a table like the Twin King model has.

Tonight, it occurred to me that the backrest for the sofa(s) might possibly be modified to create a shelf of sorts. Right now, the back rest can be set either straight up and down or at an approximately 30° angle for the back sofa cushions. I was wondering if anyone has ever modified the backrest so it could be put at a 90° angle from the wall, thus creating a shelf to set things on?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Re: Midbath Rear Lounge
Reply #1
Hi Greg, I don't and haven't used the tiltable back rests. You could duplicate the shelf on the passenger side, on the driver side so that they match. Larry Wade changed the hinge on the backrest, to the bottom, and moved it away from the wall a few inches, to provide a storage area. Maybe with the same 3" top shelf. Send us pictures when you are done.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
We bought a small chester drawer at Wally World that sets between the 2 couches for storage and use the top as a place for drinks and snacks.  We secure it by sliding the bottom of the couch to the twin bed position when traveling. 
Ross Taylor
2017 MB

Reply #3

Tonight, it occurred to me that the backrest for the sofa(s) might possibly be modified to create a shelf of sorts. Right now, the back rest can be set either straight up and down or at an approximately 30° angle for the back sofa cushions. I was wondering if anyone has ever modified the backrest so it could be put at a 90° angle from the wall, thus creating a shelf to set things on?

I repurposed the wasted area behind the sofa and turned it into storage and a usable shelf. The hinged plywood back was reversed and hinged at the bottom. A plywood inner frame was fabricated for storage.
[/url]
More photos.
Couch storage tray | Flickr

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Larry, I really like your mod. Now you have me thinking!
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #5
I'm with Greg. That is a sweet modification!
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #6
I did the same modification as Larry in my 2003 midbath. I removed the top hinges, and used the sliding bolts at the bottom as hinges instead. It made access easy--just pull out the cushion a bit, and there you are.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
I did the same modification as Larry in my 2003 midbath. I removed the top hinges, and used the sliding bolts at the bottom as hinges instead. It made access easy--just pull out the cushion a bit, and there you are.

Hi Andy. Was that the driver or passenger side?
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #8
Passenger side. I had replaced the driver side couch with a desk.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
When building the shelf assembly, the backrest was moved inward a couple of inches and hinged at the bottom, allowing for a 4 1/2" deep shelf. The shelf has a 1"X1" aluminum angle lip to prevent things from rolling off, it's a good place for the small items that need storage somewhere.
A window sash lock provides a minimum security lockup and keeps the compartment lid closed when moving.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #10
A follow-up to this thread from a couple months back.  Although I really liked Andy and Larry’s solution which adds storage also, I simply wanted to have a shelf above the driver’s side sofa. I was able to accomplish that using the existing backrest by removing the stop bumper to allow the backrest to be lifted perpendicular with the wall, then adding a wooden block to the rear wall on one end, and drilling a hole in the paneling on the forward end to support the “shelf” using the existing spring-loaded metal rods. 

I still need to paint the block to make it look better but this should do the job. I’ll also see if I can find a grommet or plug to put in the hole I drilled in the paneling for when the shelf is not being used.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #11
Did a little bit of finish work so here’s a few more photos.
Greg & Victoria
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #12
That's a smart modification. Practical, serves the purpose, and keeps the integrity of your rig like new.
1998 Mid Bath

Reply #13
We made simple 4" L bracket shelf that the bracket slide down between the back retainer board and wall.  We cut 3/4" plywood to 10" X 5" shelf or smaller and attached two 4" L brackets.  These L shelves can be put in anywhere along the back retainer board and wall where you want them.  It has worked for us and works on either couch in the MB rear lounge.  We also removed the dinette from our MB and put in a couch that runs along the window with back rest to the window so the L bracket shelves work there also between that backrest retainer board and wall.

L bracket
https://www.lazydazeowners.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=4596

L bracket shelf design
https://www.lazydazeowners.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=4595

L bracket shelf simple plywood
https://www.lazydazeowners.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=4598

L bracket shelf with sides
https://www.lazydazeowners.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=4597

1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags